H.G. Watkins - BB43 USS Tennessee

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Superb job, eibwarrior!

Not too sure about that scale issue on the barrels...I have a few photos that are a bit inconclusive, by my eyes...but, those are my bad eyes, so judge for yourself.:grin: I'm going by the deck structures in checking the barrel lengths, comparing the photos with the photos of your build.

014305xt2.jpg

014307uc8.jpg

014306dz6.jpg

Whatever it turns out, this is a spectacular build, my friend!

Cheers!
Jim

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
14 inch barrel lengths

As Jim's pictures show, the barrels are about the length of the turrets. I checked my Encyclopedia of the World's Warships, which has a very nice plan and profile color drawing of the modernized Tennessee. Better stop and build longer ones now and save yourself the headache of pulling completed barrels off 4 completed turrets.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Suspect Barrels

Thanks for the pictures Jim. I've got two of those three on my studio wall for reference. They are very good photos for the time period.

My first thought when I look at the first completed turret was... "These look like 8 inch cruiser guns"... They just didn't have that 14" feel.

Gregory. I agree. I'm on the verge of mounting barrels in turret #2 right now. I think I'm going to stop, remove, and refabricate. I just can't live with this look.

I went to navweaps.com and checked the specs for the 14"/50 barrel. Turns out its 714" OA (from breach to muzzle)... at the 1/350 scale (approx) of this model that would come out to about 2" long total. My barrels are about 1 1/4" long. That's a bust of about 37.5%. Whoa!

That settles it. Time to backup and try again. Hopefully these barrels in turret #1 won't put up a fight coming out. :roll:

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Turret Test

Well, I went home last night. Took out a ruler and put 2" next to my turret. It seemed a bit large. I reigned that dimension back to 1 1/2" and I think I hit the jack pot.

I looked at the photos of Tenn that Jim provided as well as some others, and graphically I'm pleased with this dimension. I put the second turret together with these barrels and put it on the model next to the others. BIG difference.

Needless to say, I'll be removing the others tonight and fabricating new ones. Chalk this up as another HG Watkins model learning experience. Check parts for porportions before assembly. Like the fine print on the side view mirror says... "some objects will appear larger than they actually are".
:-D

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Turrets #1 and #2 complete. The change to the longer barrels made all the difference in the world. Thanks to Gregory for nudging me into the right direction.

I've added lots more 20mm guns on the port side galleries. The 20mm are finished on this side as of today.

Now I'm going to start the 40mm quad bofors. There are 12 of these to build, six tubs each side. The ones Watkins drew are basic at best. No shields, which is my biggest problem. I think I'm going to whip out some scans I did of a Maly Modelarz Essex. There are some nice 40mm quads in that kit. They are 1/300 scale, so I'll have to do a 15% reduction of them. Should be a piece of cake.

More soon.

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Excellant work! I was wondering where you were with this. I have one or two Watkins in the basement, cruisers mostly, but seeing how you built this one up I can here them calling from somewhere down there! Once again great work!

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks guys.

cmdrted, my advice to you if you heed the call from the basement is this. Watkins models are "measure twice, cut once" models. That's been my experience thus far. Scale issues seem to be the biggest thing.

Despite the problems, I'm very pleased with how things have turned out to this point. I've had to make a couple gallons of lemonade along the way, but I'm much wiser for it.

I just printed the M.M. quad bofors and they will look very good. I'll get to work on those tonight.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
40mm Bofors

Thanks Jim. I appreciate that.

Here's the next aspect of fire power aboard the Tennessee... The quad 40mm. The staple of WWII anti-aircraft weaponry aboard USN ships.

These are as mentioned in the previous post, Maly Modelarz that I resized. The base and shields are all paper and I've chosen to scratch build the housings of each gun and barrels from styrene.

I'm happy with how the first three turned out. Only nine more to go. :twisted:

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
She's looking superb, eibwarrior! Although building those bofors and other little details tend to be a bit tedious, don't you find you get into a groove of sorts half-way through building them? At least that's what I found when I was building the carronades on Constitution.

Cool! Micronauts!:) I have a few of those of the Napoleanic era ships, just haven't had time to paint and put them together, but they are neat, aren't they?

I love the way your ship is coming along. I think the pale yellow color of the deck nicely complements the gray colors of the guns, etc.; not that an interior designer worked out the colors for her:grin: , but I just think it really looks great.

Keep at it, mate!

Cheers!
Jim

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Russell and Jim...

Yeah, you spotted my other project in the background. I'm assembling and painting 1/2400 (micronaut) USN warships right now. I'm making a diorama of the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal in 1/2400 scale. I've got most of the IJN and USN ships needed. That project is taking a break for the moment though. Painting that many small ships can drive one crazy.8)

Back on the Tennessee...
Jim, you're right about getting in a rhythm. I try to keep at one particular multiple part as much as my sanity will bear. I've decided to build up the arms on the port side to completion. That way I get a little sample of everything, and don't get worn out making too many of the same assembly.

I've finished the port side arms and I'm about to flip it over and start on the starboard side in the same order. 5" mounts first.

Here's some pictures of the completed port side arms. No regrets on using the MM 40mm bofors. I'm very pleased with how they came out.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Yet more guns

Thanks guys,

Yet more guns. I've jumped to the starboard side. Complete are the two forward 20mm galleries. I can whack these small guns out pretty quickly, so I knocked those out.

Also, the first two of four 5" gun mounts on the starboard side. These are getting easier and faster to build after the first four.

Next up are the other two 5" mounts and the remaining 20mm on the starboard side. Then I'm going to move to the main turrets #3 and #4.

Really rolling now.