H.G. Watkins - BB43 USS Tennessee

pbhawkin

Apr 25, 2005
Mudgee, NSW, Australia
Hi Eibwarrior and David Okamura,
I am very interested in your efforts at recolouring and planking the decks. I have a slowly growing bunch of sample decks to use and amend as needed for ships decks.
Would either of you be so kind as to send be a file of your efforts at recolouring the decks (or section of the decking) preferable in JPG?

pbhawkin

Apr 25, 2005
Mudgee, NSW, Australia
Hi Eibwarrior and David Okamura,
I am very interested in your efforts at recolouring and planking the decks. I have a slowly growing bunch of sample decks to use and amend as needed for ships decks.
Would either of you be so kind as to send be a file of your efforts at recolouring the decks (or section of the decking) preferable in JPG?

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Peter,

send me an email at eibwarrior@telstra.com with your email address and I'll send you a JPG file with the Tennessee deck plank parts. That should give you a good leg up on a time consuming process. :-D

Jim,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, the two are beginning to mirror one another a bit. It's becoming exciting seeing both at this stage. I've learned some valuable lessons on Watkins models with this build that I'll apply to the others. Printing medium is one of those lessons learned.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Peter,

send me an email at eibwarrior@telstra.com with your email address and I'll send you a JPG file with the Tennessee deck plank parts. That should give you a good leg up on a time consuming process. :-D

Jim,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, the two are beginning to mirror one another a bit. It's becoming exciting seeing both at this stage. I've learned some valuable lessons on Watkins models with this build that I'll apply to the others. Printing medium is one of those lessons learned.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
This will be my last update probably until December. I'm going to poor my time and resources into Vittorio Veneto and finish it up. I hate to do this, but I need to wrap one up and VV is further along.

As for Tennessee, I've added more 40mm tubs (aft deck) and started building 20mm guns for the different areas. I wanted to start building these to keep from being overwhelmed with these as they are tedious to build. I'm going to spread them out here and there.

I like their look, but they're a bit overscaled. Roughly 40-50% overscaled. But rather than rescale and reprint, I've decided to leave them as-is for the novelty of this model. I plan to build this model again someday, but I'm going to do it on a larger scale and I'm going to head-off a lot of the problems that I've run into to this point.

Here's my last photo for a few weeks.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
This will be my last update probably until December. I'm going to poor my time and resources into Vittorio Veneto and finish it up. I hate to do this, but I need to wrap one up and VV is further along.

As for Tennessee, I've added more 40mm tubs (aft deck) and started building 20mm guns for the different areas. I wanted to start building these to keep from being overwhelmed with these as they are tedious to build. I'm going to spread them out here and there.

I like their look, but they're a bit overscaled. Roughly 40-50% overscaled. But rather than rescale and reprint, I've decided to leave them as-is for the novelty of this model. I plan to build this model again someday, but I'm going to do it on a larger scale and I'm going to head-off a lot of the problems that I've run into to this point.

Here's my last photo for a few weeks.

Chief400

Dec 4, 2006
In doing research for building a model of the USS West Virgina I found references that the superstructure on the TN, CA, and WV were identical as a standard design. All three being stripped down to the 2nd deck and modernized. Looking at photos and drawing and comparing to you pics of the Tennesee it seems like this is true. Did the kit include drawings or diagrams you could share without violating copyright? I'm mainly interested in how it was parted out to be assemebled....

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Sure Chief. Just send me an email at eibwarrior@telstra.com and I'll send you the instructions. They're not very detailed, but they are more of a basic diagram with some subassmeblies.

Sorry to be getting back to you so late. I've been away for a while. I'm going to be starting this build thread back up this week. I've already starting building more of the dozens of 20mm guns. Whoopee! :roll:

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Jim and here ya go...

Since my down time, I've started back with both the aft 20mm galleries. All those guns are complete. I've put some pairs of 20mm on each side of the aft superstructure.

One thing I noticed about the aft spot light platform... I had it on backwards! :eek:ops: It was an easy fix though. I looked at my reference photos from navsource.org and noticed the error. I can be a real bonehead some times.

I've built the four MK37 fire control directors. You'll notice those forward, aft and each side. Those were figidity.

I've started with two of the 5" turrets on the port side. These aren't terribly bad. As you can see on the table top, there are only a very few parts to their construction.

More updates to come soon. I'll be starting the main turrets after I complete the port side secondaries.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks guys.

I've got a lot of time on my hands this coming weekend, so I should have some more pictures up by Sunday. I'll be starting the main battery turrets 1 and 2 tonight.

Thanks!

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Port side secondaries are complete.

Just finished turret #1. I'm a little puzzled by the barrel lengths. It's what Watkins drew, but they look too short. Maybe by 20%? I don't know. I hate to redo them. I could damage the turret removing them. I didn't notice the scale issue until I had them mounted. I'll debate whether to remove them or make them all the same as this later. Starting turret #2 today, so I won't have long to make up my mind.

As I continue to look at it, this is becoming more of a "study" model than a pure-display model due to the various scale issues and so on.

I also added many more 20mm guns. The trio on the forcastle, and the Port Gallery, second deck.

More to come soon.