Gvsr 136395

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by cnw1961, Dec 1, 2008.

1. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

This 50' boxcar is one of the oldest on my Miami layout (BLT. 10-74). So I decided to turn this beautiful new Athearn Genesis car into a rust bucket. I started by giving it a wash with white acrylic paint, that I diluted with alcohol (it was more lightly tinted alcohol than diluted paint). The graffity decals are from Microscale. After applying the decals I airbrushed a thin coat of clear matt paint to seal the decals and then sprayed a very thin layer of grimy brown. The rest was done with acrylic paints, a very hard paintbrush and an old cotton t-shirt.

2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

BEAUTIFUL Kurt :thumb: :thumb:
  3. Dan85

Dan85 Member

That looks fantastic!

- Dan
  4. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

That's very nice work! I especially like the rust treatment on the roof. Thanks for the description of how you accomplished this superb weathering job!
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Looks great, Kurt, and the rust on the roof is very effective. Did that car come with the cushioned underframe, or is that something which you've added?

6. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

WOW! As usual - you've done some great work. The roof coloring is perfect...I would totally believe that's real rust/grime. Very nice job.
  7. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Josh, Dan, Ralph, Herc, I am glad you like it. To tell the truth, I don’t really like working with paint, but fortunately I found the right paints that make it easy to get good results.

Wayne, I did not do anything on the car, I only ruined its good looks.
  8. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Its "old" good looks don't come anywhere near its "new" old looks.....Fantastic job....!!! :thumb:
  9. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Gus, thank you. :wave:
  10. nachoman

nachoman Guest

jawdrop I am not convinced that isn't a photo of the real thing, cut out in photoshop, and then put in front of a white background!
  11. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Ohh sh...... Kevin, you got me, but please, don’t tell anyone :mrgreen:.