Gus' Springtime Kitbuild

steamhead

Just a few words....
If you read the previous posts, you'll know I had a heck of a time with the straps on the silos. I ended up FOLLOWING THE SUGGESTIONS IN THE KIT...!!!! Guess whoever put ths kit together had a good idea in the first place. I pre-soaked the threads in white glue and then hung them up to dry. Once dry they were much easier to handle and install. It did take the better part of 12-14 hours to do them but I like the results.
The building is prepared for lighting. When it is placed on the layout I'll just hook it up to the Portales utilities.
The only item that is not attached is the conveyor. It'll be attached when the building is placed on the layout. Once in place, the whole building will receive a last weathering with lots of coal all around.
It was a bear to build...but I like the results.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Fantastic job, it's hard to think that it's a kit, but apparently they made it that way intentionally.

steamhead

Hi guys....
Thanks for your comments. :thumb:

The more I look at it, the more I'm liking it...I guess that being so wrapped up in something doesn't allow one to appreciate it. Now that I've stepped back, I like it..!!
As I said previously, "kit" is a misnomer. It's actually the materials to make a kit, and then build it.
But I enjoyed it, nonetheless...
I still have a Classic Miniatures "kit" of the Ophir depot....I'll have to get to it one of these days...sign1

Nazgul

Gus...I just saw this thread.....
You have done an OUTSTANDING job!!!!!!!!!!
beautifully executed and beautifully finished. Everything looks "right"!
It is going to look awesome on your layout.

It was a lot of hard work that has payed off spectacularly! enjoy it and good luck.

cnw1961

Gus, what a beautiful structure :thumb::thumb:. You did an awesome job building this kit. I love the broken window .

steamhead

Hey Steve, Kurt....Coming from you guys, comments like these made it worth the work...!!! sign1

It's been sitting on the layout, and even on the "Plywood Flatlands" it looks good. Can't wait to see it in its place properly "scenicked-in"....

BTW...Have you guys voted..?? Voting closes tomorrow....:mrgreen:

fsm1000

Very very good job Gus. I got this link from Steve's post [Nazgul]. [thanks Steve].
I am curious though. How did youget the vertical lines in the towers? Thanks. :)

steamhead

Stephen...Thanks for your kind words. Actually the vertical lines were the easy part...They're pre-scribed sheeting...!!!! :mrgreen:

Awesome job on the weathering. Still...something about it looks...incomplete. Maybe its all the little details that modern craftsman kits include. Like you said, this was more a pile of raw materials with instructions. Kudos for sticking with it! The result is excellent.

steamhead

I want to thank all of you who have taken the time & trouble to help me along on this "enterprise", as well as those who have offered comments and suggestions, and who have cast a vote on my behalf....I'm flattered that many of you have judged this effort worthy of a 1st. place vote. (Shared, rightly, with an outstanding effort, that I thought would be a shoo-in for first place..).
As to Galen's observation, you're right (as is often the case). This is a situation that reigns over my layout. I don't know where to find all the clutter and assorted junk that I see crowds many of the layouts seen here. I need tons of "lived-in" details. Any ideas as to where I might find these items..??
Again...thanks to you all...

Gus - try Builders in Scale, now a division of C.C.Crow. Here is the link for their detail sets. I have purchased a couple and the castings are excellent, and seem to be reasonably priced.

Model Railroad Fine Craft Kits by Builders In Scale - HO - Detailing Sets

But don't be afraid to scratchbuild some...I'm thinking a few shovels and rakes, mebbe even a broom would be handy around that structure, and relatively easy to make. Brass wire for the handle (or styrene rod) and styrene for the head. Some work with a needle file, a mini drill bit, and some paint and there ya go.

I'm also partial to Selley Finishing Touches, now sold by Bowser. A neat selection of ordinary items.