Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Getter1, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Nice job bro. ;) lookin' forward to those textures.
  2. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Okay first off I obviously need to go back in the "archives" and check out some of the old threads! I loved the Gunstar. The Last Starfighter was a movie I watched on Laser-disc back in the day!

Getter-I didn't realize you are as prolific designing, not to mention how long you've been doing paper! You surprise me at every turn.

Thunderchild-Keep going with the textures. I would love to see this in three dimensions! The pic looks great!
  3. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Thunder!!! That's awesome :D :D :D Looking forward to the finished product ;) That's way better than I could ever do :p

4. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Yeah I've been doing paper for a while now. I needed a break from plastic ATT and the Starfox Arwing model I did doomed me to becoming a paper addict :p

As for design my "old Skool" methods are way outdated and take far too long. If I would just sit down long enough to learn a CAD program I know I could do a lot more. I understand the principles but it's a matter of learning how to achieve what in a CAD.

I don't see the time for learning it coming up anytime soon however. I need to finish some old projects like Voltes V and Ryujinmaru then I have a hellish back log of kits to tackle :p

5. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

Getter- I hear ya. but that's where my ADD kicks in. I know enough about most things to get me into trouble!
  6. jgderuvo

jgderuvo Member

Watch it, fellas. You may make this model more realistic looking than in the movie! Well done!
  7. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

More true than you realize jg!

I need some input from you guys: Typically myself, I went overboard in the 3d design... now, in order to get The little bits cut/fold/build-able I need to scale up the unfold in pep. ATM the smallest I have is a total assembled HEIGHT of 15cm. Already had to chop the wing (wedge-shaped thing) into two parts so it can fit on the page...(see attached pic)...

Here's what I need to know: Should I dumb-down the parts in 3d and make it a smaller, easier build or should I go the other route, blow it up some more to span numerous pages?

Since I'm not just designing this model for me, but for all of you LSF fans, what size would you like to see this puppy in? (NB!!! I'm terrible with math, so if you want to suggest a certain scale, remember to convert scale to size for me... :oops: )

Hmmm... maybe I should make this into a poll...

Attached Files:

• Gs2.jpg
      File size:
      119.6 KB
  8. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

My vote is keep the details and make it bigger with more pages if necessary.
    The Gunstar should build nicely even of some of the parts have to be split over separate pages. A little planning of where the bits get split and a lot of the seams can probably be fairly well hidden.

If I can help send me a PM. I'll do the unfolding, or even go rent the movie and get a bunch of screen shots if you think it'll help.

9. ThunderChild

Thanx for the offer SJ. I'm not as concerned with the unfolding and splitting part tho...
    My main worry (I think) is that I know myself. The moment I increase the size, I'll get to thinking: "Wow... this thing is now large enough so I can actually put that part I decided to omit here... and add some detail over there..."

I'm already thinking this regarding the above pic of the wing - adding more segmentation on the side will smooth out the curve...
  10. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Don't worry about having to break up the sections. That actually makes the whole thing much stronger in the long run :D

Looking forward to seeing more.

11. ltla9000311

ltla9000311 Member

As LARGE as you like TC! Like maybe in the 1/33 to 1/35 scale range?!?!? That way it would be in scale with my Unit 1 Alphonse from Patlabor, and any of the 1/33 card aircraft out there, to give it a sense of proportion! Who am I kidding, I just like bigger models!
  12. Kjev

Kjev Member

I think it's beautiful, no matter what scale, full-color or vanilla. And I can't wait til it's finished.

It looks GREAT!
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Size: BIIIIIGGGG!!! :twisted:
  14. davitch

davitch Member

Yes, I must have this ship....MUST HAVE!!!! The Last Starfighter is one of my all time favorite movies!
  15. ThunderChild

Ok, ok, ok...

Wow, I can't believe the revived interest! sign1

I had a feeling that the most would go for a larger size...
    So I made up my mind.

I'm keeping the current one as is, since I'm a fan of the smaller sized models (living in a tiny 1.5 bedroom apartment has that effect :oops:)
    ...not to mention the fact that I got 2 pages done and printed already... :twisted:

I'll revisit the 3D to add some stuff then modify the current one where needed for another version that's bigger. How's that sound? Hehehe!

Build pics to follow later this weekend.
  16. Averjoe

Averjoe New Member

I say make it a poll. :thumb:

My own opinion is that you should shoot for approximately 1/48 scale which would make it right about 30 cm. I don't care how many sheets it takes. :D
    Seriously, it looks like it's going to be a really great model and it seems a disservice to make it small. However, I've been waiting a long time for this, so I'll be happy no matter what the size. Thank you for all the hard work ThunderChild. :goldcup:
  17. SJPONeill

SJPONeill Guest

1/48 would work for me as well; can be scaled up easily enough if necessary...
  18. Kjev

Kjev Member

28mm scale?

Actually, I'd take it at any scale.
  19. ThunderChild

Pics pics pics!

I'll see about doing the large one 48 scale... if anyone can help with size factors to get the design into 48, that would be great... like I said, my math is atrocious...

Anyway, as promised, some build pics! :twisted:

Like any kid, I love moving parts! My build is done with normal printer paper, and my skill not as great as most of you guys, but with the correct card the deathblossom doors shouldn't buckle like mine did... :oops:

Attached Files:

• Gs3.jpg
      File size:
      89.5 KB
    • Gs5.jpg
      File size:
      108.1 KB
    • Gs6.jpg
      File size:
      85.5 KB
    • Gs7.jpg
      File size:
      100.9 KB
    • Gs8.jpg
      File size:
      97 KB
  20. Janx

Janx Member

Lol I must have been asleep when this one snuck back into the Limelight! oo make it a monster TC we like big...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.