Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Getter1, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goney3

goney3 Member

Yeah, OGLE can usually tear them out of any game that uses OpenGL rendering (which is a LOT of games) :D

I have been drooling over this thread for a long time. I am cheering for you all the way my friend!

Well done! :)
  2. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

How are things going with your development?
  3. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

The 3D programs were giving me a headache so I baked off this one till I can get caught up on some other things first. Don't worry I haven't forgoten about it. Also the older I get the less time I have it seems :(

4. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Believe me, it doesn't get any better until you can retire:grin: I still have 25 years to go:cry:

5. grifco2000

grifco2000 Member

Hi, I'd love a copy of this file. Loved the movie and haven't seen another gunstar model. Would really appreciate it if you still have a copy. Thanks, Grifco

6. Stormeagle

Stormeagle Member

Gunstar From Hw Mod

Do you think that this meshes may help you out? This includes the files for suposedly 2 different level of detail.

They look pretty easy to unfold in Pepakura as they are, so with some minor changes in Metasequia they will be ready.

Attached Files:

7. doofs10

doofs10 Creatively Deprived

Keep up the great work

Hi Getter,

my first posting on this forum but I have to say that the Gunstar model is great. I'm a big paper/card model fan and have made many of the fantastic models I have been lucky enough to get off the net and I am always very grateful to the guys like yourself who put the hours in to design and create these models.

I'm looking at getting into the design side of it myself but just have to master the CAD thing first an I'm finding it a little difficult but I'm hoping to get there one day. The Gunstar is still going to be one of the first I try to do when I'm confident with the tools of the 3D packages I’m trying.

Your effort is great to see in full 3D as well.

Should you need anyone to test any models your doing I would be most happy to help and give as much feedback as I can. I have been making models professionally and for a hobby all my life and of all the garage kits, resin, plastic and other media kits, I actually have come to prefer the simplicity of paper models and just how good you can make a papermode look with the right time and effort.

Keep up the good work.

8. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello grifco2000,

Just PM me your e-mail addy.

Getter 1
  9. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello doofs10,

Thanks for the kind words.

I designed the Gunstar with a program produced by the following,

”C“V“° DS ƒ\ƒtƒg | ƒCƒiƒYƒ}ƒCƒŒƒuƒ“

It's a simple papercraft design program that takes just minutes to learn. However it is very limited, and frankly I'm suprised that the Gunstar came out as well as it did despite the limitations of the program.

I do want to learn some real 3D and CAD programs but here of late I've been messing around with my plastic kits. I do agree with you that the "simplicity" of paper models can be a relaxing change to other mediums. Though they can be more difficult at times as they tend to be less forgiving of mistakes.

If I have more paper models to test out I'll keep you in mind.

Getter 1
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Stormeagle, I'm in the process right now of unfolding the Gunstar model you posted, and there is a lot of work that needs to be done before this can be made into a decent model I'm afraid. Not to say the original model isn't good, but there are a lot of problems, like edges that aren't joined and panels that connect in the wrong places and a lot of miniscule faces and asymmetry.

But this will look excellent when it's finally finished, and I'm glad that I finally have a Gunstar model(almost). :D
  11. doofs10

doofs10 Creatively Deprived

Hi Getter1,

I am currently trying to learn 3D Studio Max and I'm getting there but its learning what the individual tools do and how to manipulate the basic shapes that is the hardest part. I also have the program that unfolds the 3D designs but its just time that I don't have to study how to get the best out of these two programs.

This forum is a great resource and the work people are putting in is staggering.

12. kaitain

kaitain New Member

Re: Homeworld Gunstar

Stormeagle, Millenniumfalsehood

I'm pleased that my Gunstar model has come in useful (see my original post on the subject I'd like to be one of the beta builders if possible. Sorry about the sloppy construction (the cockpit is a bit of a cop out), but I'd only just finished a night school class on 3DS Max, and started mucking about with the mod tools available for Homeworld. As you can see my texturing isn't brilliant but it did look good in the game. I just wish I'd managed to get the turret animations working.

Kaitain :cool:
  13. Stormeagle

Stormeagle Member

Welcome aboard Kaitain,

and thank you for your model which as you see could lead to a very nice Gunstar papermodel in the end... Please forgive me for not giving you credit for the model in the first place, but to tell you the truth I had only the HW Wild Universe Mod files on my Hard Disc with no information on the modelers...

By the way, that would be a very amuzing Mod had it been completed...
  14. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

Try this one...

hello folks,

took a short break from writing, and ended up with the attached Metasequioa model. seeing that there's a wonderful surge in cooperative model-making, i thought i'd put in some of my works-on-hold.

if someone could continue by doing the textures, i think you'll be able to put together the Gunstar in fairly short order.

now gotta go back to the grind. cheers!

Attached Files:

15. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

hey jaybats long time no hear! what have you been up to?
  16. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Thing is, is there any decent reference out there to create textures? Mesh looks good Jay.
  17. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

Hi, Nothing, i'm still working on my dissertation, went to a couple of conferences, going to another couple before Christmas.

Skip, for textures, try using the same reference images i used, from here:

Last starfighter - Gunstar

By the way, to create door panels for the Death Blossom, just duplicate the upper and lower faces of the wing/pods and make simple hinges to let them fold out.
  18. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Great! Jay, that's probably enough to create textures for it. May have a go. :)

That's a great mesh there. Good idea too for the Blossom doors.
  19. Proxima77

Proxima77 New Member

The Gunstar is looking good, man. It's nice to see how far is coming along since I haven't seen it in a while.
  20. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Took a break from Robotech to design this...
    That Meta model was ok, but I wanted more detail... hehehe.

Model is done and unfolds like a dream! Next up: Textures!

Attached Files:

• Gs1.jpg
      File size:
      64.2 KB
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.