Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Getter1, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Ha ha ha ha. Yeah that's an understatement, I'm the whole 'A' :p

Getter 1
  2. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hey John... got the model Ok.. thanks! It looks good!

I've sent an email, ~ I have probs sending to AOL addresses sometimes??,
    so this is a 'just in case'
  3. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Don't be too rash

Getter 1,

Sorry to hear you are taking that as the lesson in all this. I've been beta building the Galactica for Gearz and I think I (and Doc) have done very well in that role. I believe the key is not to rely solely on beta testers, and to only pick a couple testers that have real passion for the subject.

I'm stepping into model development now as well, and have a full plate right now, but the Gunstar is one of my favourite ships and I dearly want a model of it. When I get caught up on my current projects (in a month or two) I'd gladly help with the Gunstar. I've even got web space to host it for you if you want.

Feel free to email me directly, and please stay with it. I really want that model.

4. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Yep got the e-mail. AOL sux but it worked this time :p

I hear ya, I think I've bitten off more than I can chew myself, especially since it's lookin like the Gunstar is back on the board (Gearz isn't letting her die :p ) In the future I'll be looking into Pepakura. This program is neat and fun but I'm too much the perfectionist to let a lot of the limitations of it go. Rob's technique for aircraft and the little bit of work I've done for Alcor at Anime Mania through Microsoft Paint was far easier than the methods I've developed with this program.

Oh a long time ago I had a Last Starfighter activity book. In it was a paper model of the Gunstar. A while back I did a lot of digging and came across another copy of the book and built the model (I rember it bieng a lot cooler way back then when I was a kid). Here is a pic of the only paper Gunstar model (that I'm aware of) until mine.

Getter 1

Attached Files:

5. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

A head on shot of the older model :p

Attached Files:

6. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Hello John,

I just wanted to say again that I really appreciate all the hard work that you have put into your model design. I am greatful to you and all the other designers here who have produced models that give me a lot of pleasure and happiness. I enjoy just printing models out, pushing the printer to the limit to get all the detail.

I honestly wish I could help with the textures, I'm an Illustrator but all my work is done on the board by hand, I would have to first build a blank model then Airbrush the colour on. I never made the transition to graphics on the pc.
    So I respect and envy the skills of guys here who can do such stuff.

7. Gearz

Gearz Member

Anyone see the bit in the movie 'DogdeBall' where the guy starts throwing Spanners?

Ok John.. Bit of cross roads here. I found this Gunstar mesh and slapped some very quick textures on it. = about 10 minutes worth of work in META. Mind you,. I don't think the mesh is as good as your design, the mesh will need a bit of tweaking to make it un-foldable ? in Pepakura, and the shape looks a bit odd in places.

So what would you like to do. continue on with the textures as we've discussed, or bite the bullet, and cross over to Meta + Pep now, using this mesh model ? Either way is OK with me.

Just as a sweetener ~ remember, there's a lot of members + knowledge base here, that could assist in mastering 3D. Plus, with your deign skills, better tools would give the freedom to experiment with a boat load of new designs. = lots of pro's... Unfortunately the worst Con, ~ since you can't export from your program, you'd lose a lot of the development work you've already done.

Oh yeah.. modelnutz7 solution for the textures above, that would have been option # 6 ! lol

Tom ~ # 6 ? = I was suggesting options for the textures to John, and he was coming up with a ones I hadn't thought of.. Yep I for one wish we could get your artistic skills in the mix as well.. = He's good!

Attached Files:

8. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

I think switching over would be the best option. I just need to find where I can download META. I searched for a while and found nothing but dead ends. I need to learn to use a CAD program. I think it would save me a lot of headaches with the other program.

Oh if you do have some of those textures ready I can try to apply them to my model. I was goofing aroud with the program and I may be able to use them. So I guess I would like to try both roads at once :D

Actually that mesh looks fairly close from that angle but I'ld have to see the rest to be sure.

Getter 1
  9. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Metasequoia is available here:

I also see that you can now register using PayPal (This was my only holdback since the freeware cannot be used for commercial purposes)
  10. Gearz

Gearz Member

Yep a difficult decision but I don't think you'll regret it. I'll get on it and bundle it all up ( the 3d model + textures for your beta design) and send em up. Didn't realise the Gunstar is one of Ron Cobb's designs!. Sorry for not providing links to referred programs = bad habit !

Steve looks pretty keen on the Gunstar as well, ~ Good at driving Metasequoia!, :wink:

Err.. slighlty OT... Do you run WinXP John? I've had problems sending 3d models to ppl
    with XP. Something to do with Metasequoia's material editor maybe. The textures never show on the mesh, unless all the files have the same DIR location / structure as it is on my PC..
    Can anyone offer a solution / method to work around this?
    (HaHa.. besides getting XP)

Webdude ~ Woo Hoo.. I've been sweating on the registered version for ages, thanks for the heads up..
    :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
  11. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Thanks for the heads up Webdude :D

Gearz, Yeah I got XP (Xtreme Problems). I'll be looking forward to the files :) I hope to get into META tomorrow evening to figure it out. I'm sure it will be right answer to my problems :D

Getta 1
  12. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hey Getter, I think I've finally broken the texture barrier for cross OS model transfers ~ .. well on Windowzz OS anyway. Your META 3D version is finished. It'll be a perfect subject to start working with Meta / 3D ~ your already very familiar with the design!. Just nutting out the Textures for your first beta model now,, shouldn't be long..

Your Gunstar.. LIIVVEESSS !.
    :-D :-D :-D

Attached Files:

13. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

outstanding!!!! :D :D
  14. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Meta not restricted anymore

Webdude, if you check Meta's homepage at the link given above you'll find that the freeware version is no longer restricted and can be used for any purpose, including commercial. Personally I still want to register to support the product anyway, but it's nice to know he's relaxed the restrictions. I sent him an email several days ago to enquire about paying but haven't heard back yet.

15. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Texture path

Gearz, does this mean you've resolved the issue mentioned in post 30 above? I've experienced problems on occasion because Meta has a habit of storing the complete path to the texture file in the material properties, but you can work around this simply by editing the material properties and changing the path to a relative one.

For example, if your model is in c:\gunstar, and all the textures are in c:\gunstar\textures, meta likes to put the full c:\gunstar\textures\filename.bmp in the material properties. However, if you edit the path so it just looks like textures\filename.bmp it works just fine and becomes infinitely more portable.

16. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Looks good. [​IMG]
  17. Gearz

Gearz Member

Its done! done! done! ~ A not so little bundle of textures is on the way Getter. ~ Since your starting off with 3D.. I strongly recommend you don't keep any heavy objects within throwing range of your PC.

Keep us posted on the progress!!.

Steve ~ In a nut shell ~ YEP ~ explained far better than I could have put it!

:-D :-D
  18. Ziga

Ziga Member

It looks really good. Keep up the good work!
  19. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey Gearz,

Got the files and the textures showed up on the model no problems :D You're right the 3D program is a lot tougher than the one I was using. Time to hit up on those tutorials. Not too much left to do on it. A few parts to make and a few places on the textures to touch up, you've done most all the work already. It's just gonna take me a while to figure out what I'm doing to finish it up.

Oh isn't it possible to extract 3D models from video games?

Getter 1

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Getter, Gearz and Guys,

Well, as ya'll probably know I have been following this thread "from afar" , having done a small bit of searching for pics wayyyyyy back when Getter first decided to design this model.
    I just wanted to say I am tickled to death to see that Getter can now realize a full colored version thanks to help from others. The 3d model textures look great! Cant wait to see a finished model.

Have a good day,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.