Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Getter1, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

I think Getter's last post answered that one! sign1
    Great job Getter! (as always!:thumb:)

MF, as soon as the lined ones roll out, I'll definitely see about no-lines versions for both. Oh yes, you do realize that the silver paper idea will make us all cuss you if you don't post pics of it! :twisted: Cool idea that...

To all the beta builders: That photo G1 posted comparing the size frightens me! Is the detail worthy of the size? I would appreciate it if you guys could check your builds for texture details that might look better as buildable parts... Just a thought, more work but an idea is starting to form...
  2. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Well to be honest, the original didn't have much in the way of details, just a medley of different shapes and some markings. I think it'll be just fine with this level of detail; looking at Getter 1's build of the smaller version, the detail will work on the large one as well. The only thing I would probably want as a 3D part instead of a texture would be the gun ports for the Death Blossom weapon.

And don't worry, I'll *definitely* post pics of a silver one. Oh, I can't WAIT until the smaller one is released as a final model.

I've got a small page of notes regarding the large version. Don't worry, most of them are nit-picks which are probably just my personal preference. It's a fine design so far. :thumb:
  3. Vortex_4200

Vortex_4200 Member

Truth is I didn't remember the gunstar having this much detail... cool though...
  4. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey TC,

Worry not. The extra parts and raised panel options for the BEAST I think are more than enough. It's big enough that any sick detail monkeys can have at it scratching anything they think needs more :p

Hee hee I thought bout that same idea of silver paper :D Don't know if I'll go that far but look forward to seeing it done on yours ;) BTW did you get that auction?

5. Millenniumfalsehood

Oh yeah I did! Got both Battletech and The Last Starfighter Combat Game for $20! :twisted: However, the Dark Tower auction I was watching got to $160 or so before it terminated. Thankfully, I was wise enough to pass on that. I want it, but not *that* much. :oops: So whenever they arrive, I'll give you a ring on AIM. :thumb: I was actually thinking about using the orthos in the manual to make a deck fighter or swarmer. It would save Thunderchild from doing it, as I'm sure he's going to be a bit tired of designing after he finishes the Gunstar. :wink:

I finally got the batteries popped into my camera, but I decided to wait until I'd finished the beta (what I've received from TC, anyway) before I posted any images. Here you are:

I'll send you the notes from my build as soon as I get them typed. :thumb:
  6. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

$20, good snag ;) Prepare thyself for a whoopin :p

Too bad on DT :( I paid nearly $300 for my copy :p I wanted it that bad.

Great lookin build to :D I do see you are hiding the clor prob on the top rear deck there. Oh and you cheated on the detail part placement on the nose section :p

7. Millenniumfalsehood

It's not cheating when I merely wanted a variety of color on the nose . . .

Alright fine, I was cheating. :oops:

I wish I could hide that color problem, but I'd need some more gray to do that.

Be prepared to do a little thumb-sucking yourself. :twisted: And that was $20 total, shipping'n'all. :mrgreen:
  8. Janx

Janx Member

Looking good there MF! I've had a few snags, not due to the model but my not thinking things through properly and of course bad luck.

First the bad luck, printed out the new parts, got them home only to find they are different shade to the old parts, noticable too, so had to print all of them off again today.

Second prob was due to the thickness of the paper (120gsm) and me not taking this into account when putting parts G1 and G2 together, I didn't allow for this thickness ( see getter's earlier note) and the parts wouldn't have fit with the bulkhead F1 in place. So taken the opportunity of reprint to redo the parts.

The Bulk heads were very easy to put together, especially for such large parts.

Will post images when more parts are prepared.
  9. ThunderChild

Do'oh! From the texturing, through unfolding and editing, I missed that little snafu with the brushed metal texture's direction on a few of the panels... MF's pic pointed that out to me... Anyone noticed it? :p

See people? That's why test builders are such a nifty idea! :)

Also, just rechecked my reference pics. The two cube parts on the top of the cylinder are the wrong shape anyway, so when I fix them, I'll get the textures added where it's needed on the cylinder too.
    (Yes G1, on the engines' mount side of the little GS too...) :D

You guys are doing a great job with this beast! Shall we give her a name?
  10. Millenniumfalsehood

You know, I've been watching TLS and I think it would be nice if there were a few more details, like the target light launchers and the small panel-looking things on the inside of the Death Blossom panels. I would have pointed out the panels on the top of the tube, but you apparently noticed it. :wink:

How about "The BIG Gunstar"? Or just Gunstar 1.

I sure hope they resurrect this in pure form for the up-coming sequel . . .
  11. ThunderChild

MF, could you send me screen grabs of those?

Also, I'm not shy to do the Ko-dan and swarm... It's just that I got my eyes set on another model... I wanted to keep it a surprise, till I at least completed the 3D model, but I'll let the cat partially out of the bag now... I'm already gathering ref pics for my next "Last Starfighter model"...
    ... and I'm surprised no one's mentioned it here yet... :twisted:
  12. davitch

davitch Member

could it be...the Ko Dan Command Ship!?!?!?!?!?!
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

I'm guessing the Starcar. :wink: I'll get pics, just let me find a copy on DVD. I'd use Youtube, but the resolution is probably too crappy. But if you're not too picky, they're basically equilateral triangular depressions in the aft section under the big circle thingy, on part K1. Hold on, I'll take a pic and show you what I mean . . .

ARMORMAN Guest

There is a star car model available online, but I can't remember where.
  15. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

"Holy Death Blossom Batman!"

After being away for a while, I just had to comment on this!

Fantastic to see this old girl in the limelight again, you are doing a wonderful job, on one of my favourite scifi craft.
  16. ThunderChild

Yep, it's the StarCar! :D
    Thanks for the heads-up Armorman. Does anyone know if it's available and where? Does anyone have it? If it is out there then I can remove it from my to-do list...
  17. Millenniumfalsehood

Considering most designers aren't as meticulous as you are, I'd say it would be inferior to whatever you design. :thumb:
  18. TheHeebrewHammer

TheHeebrewHammer New Member

19. Millenniumfalsehood

I am SO pumped over the new movie!! I just hope it lives up to my expectations.

So Thunderchild, when can I expect the next installment of parts.

From "What About Bob?":

Since your Gunstar has opening gunports, will the Starcar have folding wheels? I can work up a mechanism for mine when I get it if you don't want to create one. :wink:
  20. ThunderChild

I like that enthusiasm MF! :thumb:
    I'm not finished with the next set yet, so you'll havta wait a tad. Can you still send me those detail ref pics for the GS you mentioned? I'd like to see if I can't get those added so long. I would like to have the wheels transform. Once I get to that stage of the development, I'll come a knockin!

Thanks for the pics TheHeebrewHammer, it'll come in handy. What I would appreciate is if anyone has any schematic, blueprints or 3-view drawings of the car. Also, I won't mind a few close-ups.
    And, since I'm on a roll with these requests, all interior references could be extremely helpful. I figure: If I'm gonna do this, might as well go all-out! :twisted:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.