Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Getter1, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

For those who have been following my Gunstar model development and have nearly finished my Beta build. All that's left is to assemble the engines, and make so gun pods from beads.

Attached Files:

2. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Hye Getter!

VERY sorry that I haven't worked on tne Beta you sent me....been a little busy...and as an aside, I was kinda-sorta hoping that it was a painted version, not just B&W, but it's a great looking model, and I again apologize for not working on it as yet...Keep upthe great work!

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy John,

The gunstar looks great, and If I can ever get off 12 to 14 hr days at work and get a weekend off, I plan on getting started on it.
    I dont know if you have a colored version yet, but, again, if I can get just a little time away from work, I may play with coloring it.
    As for my job, its like one of my maint. guys told me today......."its all fun and games til someone has to work overtime".
    We have been working overtime since the beginning of hurricane season LAST YEAR.........The New Has Worn Off Of My Job.
    Anyway, again, great looking model.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  4. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey guys glad you like it so far. If someone more qualified is will to do some of the coloring I'ld glady step aside.

5. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello all,

Every once in a while I still get a request for the Gunstar model. I just wanted to post a few pics of the completed model so anyone who requests it knows EXACTALY what they are getting. I know I'm not a pro or really even good a model design but I did the best job possible with the given program (Shiryu).

Just a little note to an who gives a care. I'm quite bitter over the fact that not one of the "beta testers" completed or even started in most cases, as a result development on this model came to a hault indefinently. But that isn't what really ticked me off. Whenever someone asks me for a file I ask only ONE THING and that's the simple curtosy to confirm reciept of the file. I don't care if the individual(s) like the model or not. If I take the time to send a 5.8mb file to you on a dial up connection the VERY LEAST thing one can do in return is a simple conformation. The guilty parties know who they are!!!!!!!!!!

So with that said take a look at the pic and if you still want this piece of junk I'ld be glad to send the file.

Getter 1

Attached Files:

6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I am with ya on that getter. If you ask and its given a simple thanks would be nice. I think your model looks pretty good in design! It could use some texture though ;) those round thingies look oddly out of place though - would be pain but you could make spheres using the various tie fighter cockpits as templates.
  7. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Guilty as charged...

I am sincerely very sorry that I did not get back to you on your design. I thought I had e-mailed you after my download and said that I wasn't going to pursue building it because I didn't want to work on an "unpainted" version. I think it looks like a great model, but have many projects on my plate. So, sorry, and I hope there aren't any hard feelings.
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Must admit guilt too!

I must admit guilt too, because I got it and I don't know if I acknowledged recieving it or not. And since I'm known world wide as a non-thanker and acknowledger I bet a dollar to a donut I did not reply back............

I hope Centari dosen't find out....................

Sorry Getter.:cry:

9. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

I gave up on utilizing beta builders 'quite' sometime ago. Your reasons apply as well as my schedule can turn erratic at times and occasionaly 'they' wold be the ones left waiting for further info....not fair to either party involved.

The Gunstar ROCKS!

Can you be persuaded to detail it out and release a finished version? THATS the one I'll be building!

Excellent work!
  10. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hi Getter1

Sorry you had problems with the development of you Gunstar ~ its a GREAT looking model! + NEVER apologise for your work + NEVER NEVER call your models a piece of JUNK!! ~ I think you did an excellent job on a complex design + + considering the lengths you went to. ( just found and skipped through your original tmo topic ) Did you /anyone eventually managed to convert .tmo files into other formats? or is it a case of .tmo to bitmap only ?

* Texturing ~ If I've got it right, it would have to be done on the bitmaps, yes?

* Hosting Posting N requesting ~
    I'm a dialup dinosaur to, so I'd be peeved as well, taking the time to send out 5+ meg file on request. You don't have any webspace to host/post your model? If not there's plenty of members here that would probably host it for you. Its not a top shelf service, but I'd be happy to host it for you on my webspace if you don't find a better alternative.

To all you bad bb's ~ Umm.. Arrrr... !
  11. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Hello Getter1,

I dont think I thanked you for the files also, Sincere Apollogies.

I think you made a Beautiful job of the design, It aint an easy subject at all.
    i appreciate all your hard work. I had problems printing the parts, my old printer wouldn't convert the sheet sizes to British A4, or maybe It was me.

Currently without a printer as our new one of 3wks old broke down, fighting It out with the supplier. Soon as I get It back I'll try and print the Gunstar out.

12. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hey Tom ??? did you get the files I emailed you last week..:confused:
  13. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Hi Gears

Hi Gears,

Yes all arrived safely, sent you an e mail monday obviously AOL playing up again, I'll re send

14. goney3

goney3 Member

Getter 1, sorry as well for not taking this up sooner... got in a pinch and had to move a few times. I've now settled and will need to print it out and get to work... I was watching the Last Starfighter last week and it made me think about this. I'll have to see what I can do about textures... I have a bad habit of taking on more than I can accomplish and I'm really sorry I failed you.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy John,

Well, I too still get request for copies of the files for this model, hehehe, even one request from yourself LOL.
    Seriously though, I have had 19 requests for the files since Jan 12th, including the copy I sent back to you.
    As for the thank you's, well they run about 50%.
    Now for a little trick I use in dealing with the request when they come in.
    Below is an excerpt from one of our conversations via email about the model:

"Howdy John,

Glad to hear ya made it safe and sound. As you can see in the forum, there has been a renewed interest in the gunstar model. I hope that it was ok thsat I gave it out to a few ppl....ok, well six ppl and counting....i think I have emails for about three more lol.
    I hadnt realized how big of a file it was til i tried to upload it onto an email to send. It took what seemed like forever. But now that I have it attached to an email, I can just change the name of the person it goes to and forward it to the other ppl requesting it."

This was from back when you made your move and was out of contact for abit, since then, like I said, I have had 19 request total.
    Anyway, as usual, I always give credit to you for the files, and I dont mind emailing them if you dont mind me doing it. All I ask in the forwards is that they give credit to you if they discuss the model elsewhere other than the forum here and also if they pass along the files to others.
    So, add about 9 more thank you's to the number of "thanks" for the files and in the same manner add 9 more "no replies" too. lol
    However, the ones who have taken time to pass along thanks, seemed very excited to get the model so I would deem you skills with designing, a success.
    Anyway, I am working 12 hrs a day now and just got off work so I need to get cleaned up and get some shut eye.

Have a good day,

16. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello All,

Well I'm calmed down bout the most recent upset over this file. When I first developed on this model I was just playing around with the program to see how far I could push it. I never planned to take it further than that. When I started getting request for the file I thought wow this could be further developed into a really good model. I was hoping that some of the intrested parties invlolved would help me to devlop a more accurate model and help with texturing. I thought it was clear to all involved that it was a WIP. I was all excited and when it seemed that the ball was dropped by everybody I guess it hurt deeper than I had realized at the time. I started for feel a true resentment over the model and dropped the ball on it myself. Then a little down the road my Cyclone project hit nearly the same fate. I had stopped designing for a lnog time till I started the Rolland C.II and Ryujinamru. On both I'm not depending on Betas and so far all is going well.

Bowdenja, you did acknowlege the reciept in the thread where the topic of the Gunstar actually started "looking for Black Hole models".

Modelnutz7 and Gooney3, I never got conformation from either of you but I thank you both for the appology. I never let on that I'm angry about anything till I just absollutly explode which I know is never a healthy thing.

Geedubbya, now you know I don't mind you passing the file along. If it wasn't for you I may have never finished what I did on it :D You were the 1st person to greet and befriend me on these board and I thank you for all your promotion on this model.

Webdude, your point is well taken. Using beta builders may not be a good thing. My recent project (Ryujinmaru) was going on full seam but work has had me exaust lately and I've not the energy to be working on it lately which could be frustrating any beta builders that would have signed up.

Gearz, thanks for the compliment it helps some. The TMO files cannot be exported to bipmaps but there is a feature where bitmaps can be import to the TMO files. That is a feature I haven't really figured out yet as teh program and instructional manual is all in Japanese. Since I had to print out the parts and scan them in so others could build the models devloped in this program I figured the scans could be detailed easier than messing with the wierd texture tools in the program. The art tools are horrible. Imagine misrosoft paint and all you have is the pencil and paint brush! Thanks for the webspace offer. I may take you up on that offer If I can manage to finish something.

cgutzmer, Yeah yeah, textures textures. I felt the base unit wasn't fully developed yet to add textures at the time and I got so ticked off I never finished that part. Those round things are the gun spheres. I couldn't make a sphere in the program as it only does boxes so I cheated and added wooden beads to simulate the guns :p

And finally the most important acknowlegement in this post goes out to Doc Harvey. I would like to publicly announce that I'm a total a-hole. I took out my frustration on you totally unfairly. I let things build up inside and took offence in what you said to me back then when I shouldn't have. I hope you can accept my appology over this whole stupid thing. It never should have come to what it did.

So in all I've learned a VERY valuable lesson, NO BETA BUILDERS!!!! It ain't worth it.

Getter 1
  17. Gearz

Gearz Member

Wooow... tricky program to master eh! Yep... figuring out Japanese programs is always a semi mystical experience!! Triple points for getting your model as far as you have John. Keep us posted on your texture progress.. Are you doing any further development work on it? or just want to add some textures?
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You arent a total a-hole. you have proved that many times :)
  19. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Yeah Japanese programs can be a mystery but I got fairly good at figuring them out. I play a lot of Japanese stradegy video games (particularly Super Robot Wars), so I know it's a matter of a lot of try this and see what it does :p

On the Gunstar. It should have a bit more development done. The program is so limited that I have started to use it only to get most of the parts about 80% there and then I have to re-work the parts to a more proper shape. It might be easier to get another program so I don't have to do as much re-working. I'm seriously thinking about Pepakura 2 but can't afford it at the moment. So in the mean time this program will have to do. As for textures I really am not sure where to start. I don't know what to do with meshes and I've been thinking about hand drawing them to the part sheets.

Also the only way I can get the models in a format that others can use is to print out all the parts (which is anywhere from 4 to 5 parts per sheet), then scan the sheets. The modifications will have to be pretty much hand drawn on the part sheets. I like the program though. It's very fast and easy to figure out. In fact the night before last I designed a new model (Inspector Gadet's Gadgetmobile, the cartoon version) in just a few hours. Yesterday the test buid model was bout 85% complete. It would have been 100% but I had to fix the crashed computer agian (does anybody else out there have trouble with Windows XP crashing frequently???).

Getter 1
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Go back to Windows 2000. I hate XP. But that is my opinion!:grin:

Oh and add more RAM you can NEVER have enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.