Guinness 250 Anniversary Stout

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by cmags, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmags

cmags Guest

Just got a sixpack of this 6-month only special anniversary brew from Guinness to celebrate their 250th anniversary of Arth Guinness leasing the brewery at St. James' Gate. It's delicious! :thumb: It's everything a Guinness Draught should be. About halfway between Draught and Extra Stout in my opinion. It has the smoothness and hint of sweetness that Draught has but has a little extra malt and hop to give it a bit more body and kick. I'm going to have to stock up on this stuff. Tho at $10/sixpack, I might only get a case... sign1

From the label:

2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

It's $7.50-$9.00 for one glass here. $10 is a steal.
  3. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Personally, I prefer a nice cold, Malt COLT.45 over a nice warm beer anytime. It,s a bloody Colonial thing. LOL...LOL...LOL
  4. zakopious

zakopious Member

When I was in the army, we kept our beer in our wall locker and drank it warm.
    After 45 years, I still like it warm.
    Although, on a hot day, a cold beer is also good.
  5. hmas

hmas Member

Like the pommes, you had a Lucas fridge as well! No wonder they all like warm beer.sign1
  6. cmags

cmags Guest

Ah, see over here in the States, all our beer (even Guinness) is drunk cold. Some people will do a warmer Guinness if they've been overseas and learned to like it that way but its rare. I keep a few brews in mind for long camping/kayaking trips that are still tasty to me warm but they're few and far between. Red Stripe is one, Heineken is OK depending on how many Red Stripe I had earlier. sign1 Corona is another like Heineken. Guinness just isn't a beer for drinking in the sun.
  7. cmags

cmags Guest

I'm sure if I found it at a pub they'd rip me off like that too. I'm talking about the 6-pack of 11.2-oz bottles at my local cheapest-I've-ever-found distributor.
  8. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Forgive these heathens for they know not.

Europeans do not drink warm beer; it is only called "warm" because of our plebian Colonial mindset. Of course, one cannot enjoy American lagers like Coors, Budweiser, etc. if they are not chilled to Arctic-like temperatures. If one tries to drink them at a respectable temperature, approximately 55 degrees F (warm), then their lack of flavor becomes glaringly apparent.

If one chills a real beer such as Guinness to Arctic temperatures, it will loose its flavor. Europeans have spent millennia perfecting the flavor of beer at room temperature- 55 degrees F which was the average temperature of a European cellar.

Fortunately, there are Americans brewing beer as it should be and doing a damned fine job of it. As a result, major brewers like Michelob are making a too little, too late attempt at marketing their own line of craft brews to bolster their growing loss of market share. Having tasted their offerings at a recent brew event in Athens, GA, they are really beneath contempt.

Back in the day before I learned about real beer, we would put our Bud or Michelob next to the skin of our KC-135 Stratotanker about 20 minutes before landing. Just a few minutes at 35,000 feet, -50 degrees F, the beer was so cold you couldn't taste it which I suppose was the best thing anyway.
  9. Eyedea

Eyedea New Member

*extremely jealous

haven't gotten a chance to try it yet...i hear its great
  10. Chthulhu

Chthulhu Member

I have to weigh in on this one. I found the "250" to be just a tiny bit more flavorful than Extra Stout, which itself rates a 3 on my 1-5 scale. Friends, Extra Stout is quite drinkable, especially when served correctly: at cellar temperatures, either gravity fed or with a low-pressure nitrogen push. If your pub serves you a pint in less than two minutes, walk out!

You want a beer that'll really get your attention? Try this one:

$32 for a six-pack where I live, and worth every penny.

If you're interested in what I think of a few other beers:
  11. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Id love to get in on this discussion but we might be here for hours...

Enjoy a pint boys n girls

John JOhn
  12. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Chthulhu, that Hair of the Dog has an ABV of 10%! That will knock you down in a hurry. I have seen that before but never tried it. I'll give it a go!
  13. Chthulhu

Chthulhu Member

It's a smallish bottle. <G>

My wife and I usually split one.
  14. think-floyd

think-floyd Member

I'll have to go with John John on that, we'll be here for hours.

As with the Guinness "brewhouse" series a couple of years back, nobody in Ireland will go near the 250 brew. We've been drinking the same recipe stout for the last 250 years, so as the old addage goes, "if it ain't broke.."

A word of advice to any tourists visiting Ireland - if you want good guinness, don't go to the tourist bars in the city centres :) Head to the smallest, dirtiest looking old pub you can find, you'll recognise it from the old men smoking outside, grudingly obeying the indoor smoking ban. You'll probably get a lot of funny looks, but the Guinness is always best in a "local" pub ;)
  15. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Only way I like warm beer is when you boil a pot of crabs in it. The Silver Bullet (Coors Light) icy cold !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.