Grumman F4F Wildcat - 1:33

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by KPawel, May 3, 2007.

1. KPawel

KPawel New Member

Hello everybody!

I'd like to share with you some photos of my new, very fresh (completed today) card model. It is a Grumman F4F Wildcat issued in 1:33 scale by Maly Modelarz back in 2002. The fit was excellent, only the colors seem to be a bit weird to me. Weathering is rather excessive - I've done such thing for the first time, and only because I rubbed off the paint on the leading edge of the left wing and wanted to camouflage it somehow :).

Here are the photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Very beautiful work, Pawel!
    Maly sure has come a long way!
    Of course, your modeling skills are top notch!
    Great job on the weathering! Very nice looking model!

3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

For being such an ugly plane, she sure is nice looking, huh?? And your build makes it look even better!!

Graet job!!!!
  4. KPawel

KPawel New Member

Thanks for your nice comments guys! Ugly plane??? It was beautiful! Of course it is the same peculiar sort of beauty as for I-16 or Buffalo but it is still beauty! :)
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Pawel, very nice and you are right a very "good looking" aircraft, along with the buffalo and I-16! You might add a little wear and tear on the prop blade edges also. And a little dull ing on the rubber part of the tire that rolls on the deck.
  6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Very nice indeed! I don't think the weathering is excessive at all, it's quite real looking!

7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

8. KPawel

KPawel New Member

Thanks cmdrted! Very good point about the propeller wear and tear - it really looks a bit like from another plane... I will try to do something with it. I'd be also happy to do something about the tires but I don't really know how. Any hint?
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Maybe a little dry brushing with a lighter matt gray color. just a little lighter than the black on the sides of the tire. I would experiment on an old tire first, you don't need to tone the tire down that much on your beautiful F4F!
  10. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Awesome building job! How did you get the cowling so nicely rounded? The Wildcat is my favorite of the Navy WWII planes! I have this kit, and this really makes me want to get started building it right away. Thanks for all the great pics.:grin:
  11. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Amazing! Seamless cowl!! How did you do that? You made an ugly plane look beautiful.
  12. KPawel

KPawel New Member

Cmdrted - thanks for advice, I'd have to try it. It can be difficult though now as the wheels are fixed to the stems - i cannot turn them to ensure that "contact" area is symmetrical around the wheel.
    cardmodeller - as for the cowling, I used the round "blunt" end of my knife handle as an "embossing pen" to form the individual rings of cowling on a piece of rubber to give them a little "spherical" shape. I connected the ends of the first ring and used it as a base. Next ring was attached with its ends free, I started attaching it to the first ring from its middle and then moving along its circumference mm by mm and eventually closed the ring by connecting its ends - this to avoid any steps between adjacent rings. I used a cyanoacrylate glue to connect the strips as well as to coat the whole thing when finished - it additionally smoothes the transitions between the rings.
  13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks for the info on the cowling, you and Carl "Goldenbear" have that technique down very well, I'm still practicing!
  14. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Fantastic job!!!!!!!! One of my favorite aircraft..
  15. Clashster

Clashster Member

Beauty! Great job and great pictures!