Groupe Buys.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Sam, Combat is I believe is working through a hobby shop to get volume buys. He is passing on the savings to members on the board here. I.E. if he gets one engine it is regular price but if he orders 10 he gets a nice discount. It helps him get engines he wants (most of the time) at a lower price and allows us poor smucks that don't have a local hobby shop or shops that will not pass on the savings from volume buys to get more for less.

I started this thread because Combat had done a poll as to why more people were not taking advantage of his offers. Some of the replies to the poll was that they were unsure of the source and were afraid of getting ripped. I wanted to let people know that even when there was some kind of problem the he went out of his way to make sure I was happy with the deal to include several phone calls and PM's.

Rick

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
well in the futureif combat has some C&O stuff and i actually have some cash left over,IM THERE :thumb: .so combat time to get to work!LOL--josh

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
jbaakko said:
Hey if we can get a slightly lower price, I'd love it. I'd still like to get ahold of an Atlas Dash 8-40CW in HO, in BNSF H3, and much much more.

My main reason would be money!

You mean like this? We just did this Atlas one.... :D
MVC-002F.JPG

rekline

Oct 20, 2006
Somewhere in New England
Combat, since you seem to have a great following on your buys, I would be interested in knowing what is being offered for the next buy. The last offering I found out about was too late and found the thread only when people were posting their prizes. I was looking at an Atlas RS-1 or a GP-9 in PRR paint. The GP could also be undecorated, I am trying my hand in creating my own rail line. Thanks,

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
oldtanker said:
Sam, Combat is I believe is working through a hobby shop to get volume buys. He is passing on the savings to members on the board here. I.E. if he gets one engine it is regular price but if he orders 10 he gets a nice discount. It helps him get engines he wants (most of the time) at a lower price and allows us poor smucks that don't have a local hobby shop or shops that will not pass on the savings from volume buys to get more for less.

I started this thread because Combat had done a poll as to why more people were not taking advantage of his offers. Some of the replies to the poll was that they were unsure of the source and were afraid of getting ripped. I wanted to let people know that even when there was some kind of problem the he went out of his way to make sure I was happy with the deal to include several phone calls and PM's.

Rick

Hey, thank you for the info. Where is his thread located? The one where he does his offerings and stuff. I am interested in getting N scale locomotives (since thats pretty much all I buy because I detail and sometimes custom paint them).

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
if you start doing O- scale look me up! im in N-scale to. is engines the only thing you can get a deal on? what about rolling stock,

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I think I can get almost anything in N and HO. This includes rolling freight and engines. I can even get those thomas the tank engines and rolling stock or what ever they are. :)
O and G are available but again I know nothing about that scale. I know nothing about N scale either. The last group buy I did for N was done on special request. I knew I wouldnt get stiffed if I ordered them for those guys. One of my biggest concerns is getting stiffed with product. I almost got stiffed with the very first HO buy I did. Matter of fact I have the last engine from that group buy going out next week but it has been paid for. I am holding it at their request. :)

The biggest issue isnt if I can get it, its what I can get it for. The prices you see are a direct reflection of buying more then one at a time. Thats the power of a group buy. If I piece it out like one G scale two HO and 3 N scales the volume isnt there on the same item so the discount isnt as good or offered like you see in this thread. If you guys can come up with a list and we can get a large buy on an item I can try to get it. The issue right now is less and less is available due to low stock. When there is low stock the demand and price goes up. Anyone with a basic understanding of the free market place will understand what I mean. :) The sales come from product that has been sitting laying around. Thats what happend with the first KATO's we did. :)

I hope this explains the power of a group buy. I can get almost anything in a lot of different scales and I can get it at a discount off of retail for sure. But if your looking for that WOW sale, it isnt going to happen on a piece meal order. Sorry to disapoint anyone but like I said, I can ask on anything and see what the cost would be. Just dont shoot the messenger when it isnt as good. :(

Combat :)

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
CRed said:
As mentioned by me earlier,I would buy from you rather then online so any deal you could get on T55,even if it's not so much,would be good as far as I'm concerned.

If in the future if you can get a deal on a CP,CN or C&NW from T55 give it a shot,I would be very interested if I happen to have the funds.And if not,I'd do my best to get them and sell off some stuff to get one.

Chris
Here is an example of a Tower 55 unit cost. This is not a group buy as there is no volume to the order. In other words, this is for ONE unit. As it is there is only one unit available.
SF_ES44DC_Blue__Yellow_Warbonnet_main.jpg

SF_ES44DC_Blue__Yellow_Warbonnet_3_thumb.jpg
SF_ES44DC_Blue__Yellow_Warbonnet_2_thumb.jpg
SF_ES44DC_Blue__Yellow_Warbonnet_1_thumb.jpg

MSRP for this unit is $259.99 NO DCC NO SOUND ROAD NUMBER 777.
Cost is $238.00 a savings of a whole $22.00.. sign1 See what I mean. High dollar high demand low savings.

What about with sound and DCC you ask?
I believe this is the same engine. The info from tower 55 is kinda bad. :(
DCC & SOUND msrp $299.99
your price $274.00
Savings $ 26.00 sign1
UP_C45ACCTE_Red_Sill_Stripe_main.jpg

I hope you can see what I mean by this. Sorry to ruin the party but I dont want to have any misunderstandings about the group buys. :)

Combat :thumb:

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
COMBAT said:
Here is an example of a Tower 55 unit cost. This is not a group buy as there is no volume to the order. In other words, this is for ONE unit. As it is there is only one unit available.
SF_ES44DC_Blue__Yellow_Warbonnet_main.jpg

SF_ES44DC_Blue__Yellow_Warbonnet_3_thumb.jpg
SF_ES44DC_Blue__Yellow_Warbonnet_2_thumb.jpg
SF_ES44DC_Blue__Yellow_Warbonnet_1_thumb.jpg

MSRP for this unit is $259.99 NO DCC NO SOUND ROAD NUMBER 777.
Cost is $238.00 a savings of a whole $22.00.. sign1 See what I mean. High dollar high demand low savings.

What about with sound and DCC you ask?
I believe this is the same engine. The info from tower 55 is kinda bad. :(
DCC & SOUND msrp $299.99
your price $274.00
Savings $ 26.00 sign1
UP_C45ACCTE_Red_Sill_Stripe_main.jpg

I hope you can see what I mean by this. Sorry to ruin the party but I dont want to have any misunderstandings about the group buys. :)

Combat :thumb:

Yeah you would need a group buy for these to see any savings,but they're not just laying around on shelves collecting dust!

I checked on E-Bay and there is one,count them...ONE up for bid on E-Bay!I bought mine on E-Bay awhile back for $225 and that was a great deal on one of these,especially since it was an NP engine which I have yet to see on E-Bay again.

Chris

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
As a suggestion, a polll thread w/ a selection of n, ho, g, and s engines (maybe 3 in each scale) that you can get and see how many people would buy to gauge value of the sale.

Just a thought :), prolly not even a good one but w/ sooooo many options and soooooo many different tastes, road numbers paint schemes scale etc out there it's a little difficult for a newbie like me to wrap around ... there should be a way to limit the choice to increase the volumes maybe even have them at a particular day of the month or something like that so people can kinda gather round the camp fire to find out what combat can offer cheap :).

For instance i can't see why the t55 is so sought after an the dash 8-40cw aren't. They look very very similar to me ( i can see differences but to the untrianed eye ... :D).

The more i research and read here on the gauge the more i realize i am becoming a collector as well as an operator of these trains. I kind of like looking at them as much as running them especially these atlas ones so i'm even leaning towards shelf displays and i tell you cheaper is DEFINATELY better for somethign that i'm going to shelf hahaha.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
You mean a poll like this?
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=26275http://rapidshare.com/files/3522783/Nyomi_Asian_BJ.part1.rar
I did one if you remember and didnt get a ton of feed back. The best answer I did get you already said. The wide variety of taste here on the guage makes it difficult for it to happen.

I will continue to keep as eye out for great deals. Some will be better then others but they ALL will be below MSRP.

Keep an eye out for em. You never know when one will be coming down the line. :)

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Well, the prices for the tower 55 is listed. They are hard as hell to get too. I dont think we will have enough people at that price to get those. I would at least save you the tax. :)

As far as bli, that too is another hard one to get. Mater of fact most of it is reservation stuff right now for up coming releases. :(

I appreciate everyones interest. I also appreciate the feed back you are providing me as it gives me some idea of where to look for the next buy. :)

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
zachary said:
hey combat id be interested in some tower 55 and some bli stuff mainly the ac6000cw and the es44dc
I'd take a buy in on the AC6000CW's! UP of course.

I find it hard to belive that $270 something is the best we could do on a sound/dcc unit, I mean, I've seen a few sell for $250!

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
COMBAT said:
We just did some N scale stuff. :(
Full thread details here:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=25583

ok, I get it. thanks for the info. If you ever do another N scale thingie, i'll deffinetly check it out. Ive been looking to get four or five N scale IM SD40T-2s in the Rio Grande paint. But I dont want to pay 90 dollars each. Thats the price Im seeing at all these net stores. and the local hobby shops are about ten bucks more.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
jbaakko said:

I find it hard to belive that $270 something is the best we could do on a sound/dcc unit, I mean, I've seen a few sell for $250!
Like COMBAT said,he'll never be able to get his hands on many those AC6000CW's.The first run is sold out and hard to find, the second run is on reserves so they'd be tough to get.I have seen a couple on E-Bay,but it's not too often you see them.

I love my UP AC6000!I haven't had a chance to run it yet,but it sure looks nice.I can't believe I only paid $150 for it.If I put it and my T55 NP ES44DC on E-Bay I'd probably make some money:D.

Chris

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
jbaakko said:

Thats for tower 55. I can do way better with other manufactures. :D