Griswold United Church

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I followed the same steps in building this church so didn't want to bore you with the same old same old. I decided to call the town on theNtrak corner module Griswold. This is the same module that the now Griswold CP station is on.
The first view shows the church still on my building table.

Attachments

• guc2.jpg
    guc2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 253

penngg1

Sep 8, 2003
Newfield, NY
Visit site
Wow!!! I would have prefered a series of progressive photo's with commentary. How did you get the angles and lengths for the steeple roof? Did you cut and fit or did you use the intersection and developement method? You never cease to amaze me. Thank you for another terrific model. :thumb:
Bud

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That is some model. :thumb: Somehow I don't thing any of us would be "bored" by the details. If you have them, post them. If you don't, we are kinda left with an empty and lost feeling. We know were we are, but we don't know how we got there.:D

Don

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Oh Robin, thats one nice structure, love the small details and the windows.
Shamus

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
Robin- I have silently enjoyed you work on here for quite some time....

I just needed to add- Never assume we will be bored by the details. I have learned quite a bit from your construction threads- I always look forward to seeing your progress.

Now if you would just put the designs on a page I could print out on cardstock and build without having to be too creative.......

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
You assumed wrongly, O Wizard of Cerealboard...you set a trend and now expect us to just be happy with pix of the end results? :rolleyes: Gret work, even if you didn't let us see it from the ground up:p

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
OK folks, I hear you. Thanks for the kind words too.
Bud I drew the design for the steeple right onto cerealboard but have drawn it on paper to show how I did it. It has 8 segments.
I cut out the outline then scribed the lines with a couple of cuts to make bending easy. Just bend along the lines, glue the edges together and you have a steeple. The angled cutouts on the 4 bottoms allow the steeple to sit on the 4 sided roof on the top of the tower.
Sorry Guppyman, I just draw the design directly to the cardboard, cut and glue. I do not draw plans on paper first. Just look at the photograph, in this case an actual church here in Georgetown, then get right to it.

Attachments

• guc3.jpg
    guc3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 145

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Hoho, Robin, you had set a new trend: Showing the construction of a model, in all details, step by step. For me (I said this before) this was always like one sequel after the other in an exciting adventure story. This isn't boring at all - just the contrary! We all learned a lot by following you through the construction.

So I join the gang, begging you to return to the photo reportage style, showing us the creation of one more of your excellent structures. So please don't even think you were boring us - CERTAINLY NOT, my friend! (And I'm quite sure that several Gauge members were hooked to our forum because they stumbled over one of your how-to-do-it threads! :thumb: )

Oh, I realize that preparing the pictures and putting them on the web also uses up some of your valuable time. I only hope that it didn't become boring for you, to do that. Rest assured that we are VERY grateful for the great work you did for us. And we would also be very thankful if you could revert to the 'usual Matthyro posts'.

Your church is another wonderful example showing your talents. Of course you can't go back and rebuild it. But one question: Could you explain how you created the stained glass windows?

Ron

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks folks.
The stained glass windows didn't turn out as good as I hoped they would. I did a google search for church stained glass windows and came up with more than I needed. Saved some to my HD then went and got a couple of transparencies that were made for an ink jet printer. Printed them, cut them out and glued them in place on the inside of the wall. They were quite faint in colour and the light just about washed them out so I put tracing paper over the backs of them which diffuses the light and they look somewhat better.