GreMir Models Yokosuka D4Y1 Suisei (Judy) - beta build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by shoki2000, May 7, 2007.

1. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

The model was actually ready over a week ago, but I postponed starting it until I could finish the Hayabusa. Hope you don't mind :wink:

Everybody interested in history of the plane can locate it easily on the net so I will skip this part to save time.

About the model...
    Suisei was designed by Andrew Inwald from Australia and this is his second model (after He-70) in my offer.
    Instructions are provided on 13 pages of step-by-step diagrams. Parts of the model fill up another 13 pages.
    Model has full interior, wheel wells and the bomb bay can be built in open or closed position (there are actually alternate parts to do that).
    Model has light weathering but for those that like them pristine, Andrew hinted also on providing second version without the weathering.

This will be a beta- build so if there are any issues, they will be fixed before the release of the model.

I'm printing it right now and the cutting is starting tomorrow :grin:
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Domo Arigato! Can't wait!
  3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Pilot's cockpit

On Monday I was only able to laminate few cocpit parts and the actual cutting/assembling started today.
    First impressions...
    So far no fit problems, eventhough no fancy software was used to create the model.
    The only issue I have so far is the part numbering convention used by Andrew and the fact that parts for one assembly are spread out a bit and it takes a moment to locate everything. We will not change the partnumbering (it's not bad, just different from what I got used to) but I already asked Andrew to see if parts can be rearranged and grouped by subassemblies.
    Below is the result of 2 hrs work.
    One thing worth mentioning - Andrew provides narrow strips of paper same color as the former to glue over the edge so there is no need to touch up on the visible parts.
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Time for little progress report...
    First noticed error in the model - inside parts for the cockpit do not have cutouts for the wing spar. Trusty Xcato knife takes care of the issue :wink:
    Now bigger problem but this is entirely my own fault - I should really READ instructions and not assume anything...
    I glued the wing spar in place only to realize that now I have no way to slide the cocpit skin over the cockpit...
    I will try to cut it out without damaging the cockpit floor..............
    Instrument panels were converted to 3-D one on my own.
  5. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Spar separated from the cockpit framing without damage :)
    Here is photo of all parts (forgot to include the instrument panel, but didn't forget to install it :grin: ) of the pilot's cabin

Now, this is the part I was most worried about and I decided to assemble everything before continuing with the rest of the cockpit.
    Two reasons for my concerns:
    1. Bomb bay was actually added after model was designed and required rather severe redesigning of this area.
    2. Method of construction is rather unusuall here. The main element providing reference for all the other parts of the cockpit is the wing spar to which all parts are being glued. Plus, floor of the cabin consists of separate pieces and aligning them could be tricky...
    To my great relief there were no issues, except for the light sanding of the forward bulkhead so it could slide in without a problem.
    Here is the assembled pilot's cabin

Tomorrow I'm moving to the gunner/navigator cabin....
  6. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Lookin' good. Nice amount of detail.
  7. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Looks great so far Michael! Can you explain the seat a little bit? It looks like it has 2 backs!
  8. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

It does have two backs....
    I don't know why, but that's exactly how it should look as per photo of the seat in Maru Mechanic.
    Maybe it has something to do with better aiming position?
    Any ideas anybody?
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Well as a whole the Japanese are not very tall, maybe the higher seat was used during landings for better vision. This is a very big plane.

Just an guess.

10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

This will take much longer than expected......
    Yesterday I finished second segment of the fuselage but.....
    My daughter (2) climbed on to the chair and was able snatch it from the desk. I don't have to mention that Judy didn't stand a chance.
    It would not be bad since I can reprint the segment and redo it but here is the problem - in the meantime I changed printer cartridges and now everything prints with distinctively different colors :mad:
    I want this plane to really look the best I can do so I'm starting to think about reprinting entire model (TWICE just in case) and starting from scratch......
  11. Wily

Wily Member

The clasp of a two year old is a force to be respected - if an adult had a proportionately strong grip, he/she would be able to pinch 2x4's into pieces as if it were PlayDoughâ„¢.
  12. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Sorry to hear about the crash and burn. I have the same problem when my nieces and nephews come by. Do you know if Gremir will add some Japanese twin-engined aircraft such as the Dinah, Betty, Irving?
  13. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I just have to be more careful where I leave the parts.....

As for twin engined Japanese planes - there is P1Y1 Frances coming and Andrew started to work on a new model, but to early to anounce it :wink:

As for Judy... Decision has been made and I already reprinted two copies of the entire model.
    This actually will look much better because colors are much better now.
  14. horologium

horologium New Member

Too bad about having to start over. Our cats like tosteal small parts when they are dryng if I am not carefull!
  15. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Judy is back ...

No, I did not abandon the build :twisted:
    Cockpit is done - only the gun remains but I will do it later.

Since this is a beta build some issues were expected and of course present.
    The only one requiring some work is the location of the former dividing the cockpit. After first version was completed, designer pointed to me that it should be a bit farther forward, almost touching the bent parts in pilot's cabin. We both checked and the result is shortening of the cabin floor by 3/16".
    All other issues are the markouts to locate parts on the floor and the walls - complete list already sent to the designer and all of them will be fixed.

My impressions....
    Despite the fact that it is a hand drawn kit, fit is excellent. I only had to sand down the forward former, but that was expected and noted in the instructions.

I changed the navigator's cabin arrangement a little - moved the oxygen bottles to the right side and added three more ammo canisters on the wall on the left side. This was done based on the cutaway drawing in Maru Mechanics - Famous Airplanes of the World shows a different arrangement but Maru's seems a bit better - unfotunately I couldn't find any photos of the real aircraft to verify the arrangement...
  16. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

No progress for the last three weeks, but on Friday and saturday I was finally able to spend some quality time with the Judy :wink:

One issue - Judy had 12 cylinder engine which means 12 exhaust stacks.
    Model actually provides for 16 but I took it as spares :roll:
  17. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

And front shot to show the "signature" look of the inline engined Judy...
    Interesting thing is that designer does not provide any framework for the segments forward of the cockpit. The only frames available here are for the filters in the air intake and of course the one in the photo.
    Depsite this there are no problems forming and instaling those segments.
  18. I need a Pin up girl. . .

I know how you feel. My son just trashed my stuka...95 percent done. . .
    Way cool build!
  19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Looks like he has captured the spirit of this old Japanese bird very nicely!

Good (re)build on it Michael............ I really like the weathering he has done, looks like everything lines up very well!

Neat idea of having extra small detail parts on the sheet.............. I ALWAYS drop and lose those suckers and hate having to print another sheet to get them. Momma's bain for wastfulness showing through:grin:

20. airbob

airbob Member

Great job on this Japanese torpedo-plane!...nice clean work! (as always)....glad to see someone is working on a "Frances" that is great!...I just love Japanese twin prop girls!!!