GreMir Models Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by shoki2000, Jan 30, 2005.

1. jrts

jrts Active Member

You can get this one from Mike at GreMir models, link below or follow the link on the main page of this site

Have fun with it I'am

2. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Jolly good show, Rob!
  3. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

It is not there!
  4. jrts

jrts Active Member

Sorry its my fault I did not say that the CD has not been released yet, thats why Mike needs the Photo's as soon as possible so he can release the model.

Iam very shure Mike will let us all know when he has it on his site.
    Its worth the wait though.

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Good looking model and thanks for picking up the build from Michael. Scale up to 1:16..., Nice pickup for cockpit looky lous. I'll be staying tuned.

6. barry

barry Active Member

Good one Rob look forward to the rest of it

7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

First of all - Rob, thank you for taking over the build. This way Ki-44 Shoki can make its way into GreMir offer al last :D

Model will be available as soon as Rob finishes his build and I have few photos of the completed plane. At the rate he is going, irt should be just a few days :D

Thanks again!
  8. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Mike no thanks needed, I get to build a dam fine model first :D

Some more done to this bird.
    The basic engine has been mounted in the nose and fitted to the body.

Next is to make the canopy and glue on the finished wings.
    I have already made up the wheels, more on that later when I fit them (paint wet right now)
    Still having fun and still fits very well

More later

9. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

The wings have been fitted but while they dry I started to build up the wheels and canopy.
    I will post photo's of the canopy and build so far tomorrow, it all set up on a board while the glue sets so as not to warp the wings.

So on to the wheels

Some of the small strut parts have been soaked in super glue/CA.
    The first photo shows some of the small parts soaked and cut out.
    Doing it like this makes as good as or even better than photo etch parts and you can use normal glue to fit them.

The second photo's show on the right the parts for each wheel and the finished item on the left. Except for the wheels no paint or touch up has been used.

More as soon as all the glue is dry :roll:

10. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

It's looking great Rob. I can't for Mike to release this kit. It looks to be a beautiful model.
  11. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Outstanding build so far, Rob! :D

She really does look to be a well designed kit, but that's to be expected from Mike. I like how the panel lines look in your photos, nice details.

Great tip on the use of CA on the smaller parts of the landing gear, I guess the key is to make sure it is well dry before trying to cut them out, huh? :wink:

You are doing your usual brilliant job on this build, Rob...keep it up and more photos when you can, please. :)

12. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Thanks gang for the encouragement with this build :D

Considering I have tried to build this as fast as possible, I must say the fit is perfect.
    To give an idea of how good the parts fit, the first photo shows the joint between the wing and the body of the plane. The section between the yellow lines has no glue or clamps on it at all, I can assure you it looks better here than in the photo (some dry fit that) :shock:

Some will notice that the wing tip is still open, I do this as I have a habit of crushing wings while do plane builds.
    This gives me the chance to push out any dent I might make while holding it. Closing the wing tips is one off if not the last thing I do on these builds.
    Total build time to date 10hrs, so if you spend time on this model you will end up with a good show piece in any collection

13. Jim Krauzlis

Great job, Rob! :D
    Ten hours so far? That's just amazing, how quickly you are building her and how nicely the parts fit.

That underside view shows up the panel lines that I am so impressed with in this kit design...truly a nice amount of detail. Nice tip on leaving the tip open...I'll have to keep that in mind. :wink:

Looking forward to more as you go along.

14. jrts

jrts Active Member

I just changed the last bit to this made a muck of the post, well it is 2.05am here :lol:

I should have this finished tomorrow and will post the finished photo's then.
    This last photo is just to show the state the build is at now. The canopy has not been fitted, I did not like the way I did it at all. Made some bad errors while doing it and will show these tomorrow, some stupid ones :roll: :oops:

More then

15. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Wow Jim I just noticed what you mean about the panel lines after seeing that underside photo also. You're doing a wonderful job Rob for just a quick build.

Hey Mike, I just got a summer job so as soon as car insurance is paid for.....I'M BUYING A COPY OF THAT BEAUTIFUL KIT FROM YOU!
  16. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Well just a few more bits to go and she is finished.

I have to wait while the glue on the rear section of the canopy goes off :roll: Tried to fit it while it was still wet and crushed it AHHHHH.

Since the last post I have made and fitted the rear wheel and a lot of the small details. The parts still to fit are the rear section of the canopy, under wing fuel tanks and nose cowl, these are the bits that need the glue to dry.

Just in the two fuel tanks there is 18 parts, the scope to hyper detail this thing is amazing and the parts to do it are in the kit as well 8)

17. jrts

jrts Active Member

This is how the build is now

The second photo is a dry fit of the front section to the canopy.
    Once its all on and the tanks fitted just some touch up to do and close the wings and she will be finished.

So far its all fitted very well with no problems, so much so I will hit this with a detailed build right after this :roll: I will show the kits detailed engine then as this will be the first part of the new build.

More tomorow morning when the glue has set

PS Total build time to this has been 17 hours not including time wasted for glue to dry
  18. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Looking good, Rob! - L
  19. Jim Krauzlis

Awesome, mate, just plain awesome!

Did you coat the paper with anything like clear acrylic spray? I've often debated on whether to treat the printed sheets with anything before starting a build or to wait and spray the major assemblies later on...sometimes not at all. :roll: Just curious because I love the flat finish this build has in the photos, and it has a nice, smooth surface that I think is quite attractive.

So, you're gonna start this one again, but with more details? That's super, although it seems as if there are plenty of details already in this build, but more is better. :wink:

I have to say, I've not built all that many quality plane builds but this kit has that extra something, be it the superb print/art work of the panel lines, the extra little parts to enhance the build, or a combination of both (as well as your superb building skills), that I think make this a must have kit to try...once it's available. :wink: Congratulations to Mike for what is obviously a great kit design, and for choosing you to build it! :D

20. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

At last I have this to the finished stage, mucking around making the canopy out of sheet plastic took a bit of time :roll:
    First one I did not like at all, second got crushed and the third waitting for the glue to dry.

Total build time 21 hours from start to finish, could still do with some touch up though!!

Every part fitted, no need to trim or alter anything at all :D
    The basic model is a detailed model in its own right, think what can be done with the very detailed one :shock: