GreMir Models Nakajima Ki-44 Shoki

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by shoki2000, Jan 30, 2005.

1. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Ok, maybe it's not ethical to do a construction review on your own model but I just couldn't resist - it IS my favorite plane :D
    What you can see is a result of two saturdays, but spread out over a month... :?
  2. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

And the next two...
  3. bholderman

bholderman Member

Ethical, schmethical. Personally, I enjoy build threads, regardless of whose doing what. It seems to be a richer source of picking up techniques beyond anything else on the net, next to trying it yourself of course.

4. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Beautiful build so far, Mike...and an interesting aircraft. Looking forward to more. That cockpit interior is wonderful.
  5. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Beatiful shine & luster on those instrument cases! (If this sounds like a shampoo ad, my apologies). I like the rich colours, for a change. - L.
  6. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Mike

Leif is right, nice to see a bit of colour around :D

Dam good start mate and nothing wrong with building your own model, I would.

Look forward to the rest soon :roll:

7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

8. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

So here is the result of Sunday work out :D

This stage is tricky and I had to re-skin the cockpit. My own fault, should have paid attention to diagrams :?

Key is to first glue inside of the cockpit with the outside, add two forward segments and THEN glue it together on the frames...
  9. barry

barry Active Member

When the chef eats his own dinner it's got to be good looking good anyway.

10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Here is the update for Friday :D
  11. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Michael, I like the stab connecting rod. I assume you have paper cylinders in the stab halves. Good way to attach wings, too.

My 1/25 build of the MM Lysander comes to mind - used long pieces of welding rods for attaching wings, to assure correct alignment and (lack of) dihedral. Trouble was that I didn't use paper cylinders in the wings, just holes in the ribs. If once you let the long rods slip out of those wholes, it was darned difficult to get them back in, let me tell you...

12. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Uh.. Oh...

I just realized that I mislead (unintentionally!!!) all of you a bit :? Sorry...

By "my" model I meant GreMir Models of course. Model was designed by Rafal Ciesielski :D

Leif - I know what you mean...
    later today I will be building rest of the tail and post progress photos. It is easier to show than to explain, but there is no way those rods could slip out from the assigned positions :D
  13. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

This should answer Leif's question.

Tail assembly is completed, now off to the wings :D
  14. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Nice trick, Michael; will remember that one! - L.
  15. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

No, I didn't forget or abandon my project..
    Time is in very short supply, but I finally managed to put some time into Ki-44. Here are results....
  16. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Mike

Very nice :D

Like the tip with the rods, one for the future.

And as always MORE :lol:

17. barry

barry Active Member

wonderful build

18. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Mike has not had the time to finish this build due to a new bundle joy at home :lol: Sleepless nights, work and all the other things that go with life :roll:
    So I got hold of the file and will finish it for him as he needs photo's of the finished model as soon as possible.
    To save time and site space I will carry on with this thread rather than start a new one and not go over what Mike has done in this thread.

So on to the build.

I must say when I got the file and looked, its amazing the amount of detail the kit has. All the control surfaces can be made to move, the engine is one of the most detailed I have seen.
    So much so that when I have done this build in its basic form I will have another go at it making everything move and build the engine outside the plane on a stand of it's own.

So far I have the main body of the plane built, all the wing formers done and have started to get the wing skins ready to take the formers.
    Its hard to see from my photo's but the body detail is very good crisp and clear when printed.

19. jrts

jrts Active Member

When the wings go together you must get the joints on the leading edge right as this gives the wing its shape. The photo of the wing edge shows some errors in the way I built it, so this one got trashed and rebuilt.

The last photo shows the new wing and the state the build is at now.
    Tonight I will fit the wings and build the basic engine to be fitted. This will then give the the wheels and a few small details to do.

Total build time to this stage has been five and a half hours, but I must stress this is just for the basic build not the very detailed one.
    For the detail and large scale nuts out there this thing has it all 8) and the best of all it fits :D
    This would goto 1/16 with no problem at all

More tonight when I have the nose built

20. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Nice, where can I buy this model?