Greetings

Ordon

I came here to check out "papercraft" models. I've never heard of this before seeing an amazing lifelike Battlestar Galactica on youtube.

My only modeling experience is building wooden tall ships. I used a kit, but it still felt like creative expression because you end up warping all the straight planks into all the nice curvy shapes that make those old vessels so nice to see.

My other hobby is painting miniatures. I don't know if that's off-topic in this forum, since I didn't make the miniatures - just made them "pop."

I'm not sure how to really get started here. Having never worked in paper before, I don't think I could contribute much for some time. I was hoping to download a "pattern" to try out, but the site seems to think I'm a spambot. :)

Anyway, I'm impressed just looking at some of the finished model pics that people have posted. Amazing job all!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to Zealot.

We have MANY member here who are into SCI-FI (Especially Battlestar Galactica. Myself included). So I hope that you will feel at home here.

As for your wooden ship, granted, it is a kit, but you still took the time ans spent the effort & energy to put it together and make it your own. That is what counts the most. So with that being said, I would like to encourage you to post photos of it. We would all like to see it.

As for the painted miniatures, yes, you can post them in "OFF TOPIC". So by all means, please do. I think that that would be interesting to see.

As for getting started in building paper models, there are many sites where you can download different models for free.
Here is a list of a few that have easy models that I think you may be interested in (some of them do have BSG models):

http://ninjatoes.wordpress.com/
(This site has the Colonial Viper and Cylon Raider form BSG (TNS)

http://www.paperaviation.de/
(There is a Puddle Jumper from "Stargate Atlantis" that is very easy to build and makes for a GREAT starter kit. Not only that, but you will find the Thunder Fighter from "Buck Roger in the 25th Century" (with a few fan based versions and extra add-on kits).

http://www.paperhollywood.com/

http://stevespaper.com/
(Here you will find a little bit of EVERYTHING!)

Just go ahead and look through these sites and find something that interests you and that looks easy enough to start out with. Download it and start building. it is really that simple.

Although, if you want a project that you can practice with and not really worry about it looking like good or not, try your hand at this:

http://www.paper-toy.fr/2012/01/19/papertoy-propaganda-de-papertom/

This is a GREAT model for learning how to work with paper models.

As for contributing to the forum, just the fact that you are interested in this hobby as a whole is GREAT!!!
The best thing to do is to just look around at the different threads that interest you and make comments and ask questions (but please post in threads that are no less than three (3) months old. If you see something in an older thread and you want more information pertaining to that thread, please contact the original author of the thread through private message).

As for downloading, you have to have an active membership for a minimum of four (4) weeks and make a minimum of ten (10) substantial posts (as substantial post is a post that contains a full sentence or question. So nothing like "WOW" or "COOL", would be considered as a substantial post. Later on, after you have gotten established as a regular member, will those kind of posts be allowed.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself here. I look forward to seeing your work!

Ordon

as substantial post is a post that contains a full sentence or question.!

I was SOOOO off-base. I thought "substantial contribution" meant blueprints - and not just any blue prints, *substantial* blueprints!

Thanks for the info. I clicked on a couple of those sites and found inspiring models. I've already got questions, so I'll poke around the threads a bit so I ask with the correct etiquette.

I'm a bit new to forums in general, if that isn't obvious already.[/QUOTE]

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I am glad that I was able to clear things up for you.
Just remember one thing. Do not be afraid to ask questions (regardless of how stupid you may think it is). If you do not understand or are uncertain of something, by all means ASK!!! That is one of the reasons why we (the site staff) are here, is to help you (the members) out any way that we can.

Do not worry about being new to forums. When I first signed on at this forum (as a regular member), This was the VERY first forum that I had ever joined. Yes, I made a TON of mistakes (most of which were dealt with behind politely). We have a really good bunch of people here that are willing to help people out (especially those who are new).
With that being said, I hope that you will enjoy yourself and make yourself at home!!!

Neon Neuron

Welcome to wonderful world of Papercraft!
I'm kinda' new to the forums myself, but have been doing papercrafts for a few years.
I've always wanted to get into painting miniatures; My cousin was big into them and tabletop RPG.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome Ordon! (with an avatar name like that i felt I could add "to this planet!")

What the heck, Welcome Ordon, to this planet. Here you will find many strange creatures. All wonderful, different and sharing. You should fit right in. The best way top get started is to find a subject that interests you, and if you are not sure where to get a good example of that subject, just ask, in this thread would be a good place, then start! That simple. Welcome to Zealot! :)