Greetings

Psyscape

It seems such a little thing to say Hi to everybody - from a rock off the south coast of the UK - and let you all know that another drooling idiot and leech has appeared. I have no clue how much if anything I can contribute to the site as this is all pretty new to me.

I have some experience of modelling, this is primarily in wood and balsa with which I make a variety of models. Including collecting partworks. Yeah, I know partworks are widely derided as overly expensive, but to be honest I've not noticed that overly much. Plus, it's easier for me to find a few quid every couple of weeks than the hundreds usually required to purchase the full model.

Thus far, I've made a 1/100 Victory, Titanic, Bismark and Bounty. Hood, Cutty Sark and Yamato are under construction.

Card models are a more recent discovery and this was prompted by "Space Week" at my daughter's school where - perhaps foolishly - my wife and I jumped in at the deep end. Between the three of us, we hashed together a Saturn 1B, Shuttle and payload, a few planets and a couple mars rovers. The shuttle perhaps was the hardest of them but I was very pleased with the end result.

Of course that started a new passion and I've just completed three mechs from the Front Mission game. I would have been better off starting with those, but hey, why do anything the easy way?

Looking forward to browsing and joining in perhaps - if I can.

Z

Zathros

I Thank You for introducing yourself. It is something I wish more would do. I (we!) would love to see the works you have made, regardless of medium. Please do post pics and a big :welcome1: to the forum! :)

inky

Welcome to the forum, it is great to have you here. Please do post some pictures, you will not get any ridicule from me, I love every form of modeling.

Z

Zathros

`Ridiculing is extremely frowned upon here! We do support each other quite well though. :)

lehcyfer

After so many models in large scales paper must seem an evening stroll for you - there's so many models to print-out and just glue together, using not much more than scissors and glue.

But you can do amazing things in paper too... (don't worry about Polish language in the age of google translate - and even without translation pictures are enough to see what can be done with paper)

Welcome in the world of paper models :)

Psyscape

Sorry guys, I was buried in some of the threads here and didn't notice the replies until now.

In response to lehcyfer.

Impressive model at the link, amazing to think it's just card and bits.

Paper modelling does not seem like an evening stroll. Card/paper is a very different medium to that which I'm used to. Wood is extremely forgiving, doesn't crush easily and certainly does not escape into weird and wonderful shapes. When making the Challenger shuttle for my daughter's project I found that very few of the techniques I've learned with wood modelling could be applied. Very few.

Yes, patience, waiting for the glue to dry before fiddling further, basics were similar. But construction was not. One doesn't "fold" wood, for instance, and getting the creases correct, folded properly and then everything slotted together was extremely challenging. Admittedly the shuttle was a fairly complex model as was the Saturn 1B, but rolling out the curved sections, making sure everything lined up... That was very different.

After all, it's not like I can take sandpaper and files to something to "make" it fit. ;)

As far as the "amazing things" in paper. Yes, I know. In the last couple of weeks I've browsed what seems like hundreds of sites and there are some spectacular models out there. I'm not sure how my bank would react in attempting to purchase things from Russia or Poland but I have seen some things that I am extremely tempted by.

I think though, that before I start spending money on such things, I'll have a bash at UHU's excellent looking U-Boat and Black Pearl. My daughter will squeal deafeningly when she sees that one (being an incorrigible fan of Sparrow and co.)

There is also, as I'm discovering, a rigidity/fragility factor that governs how well a card model behaves when being built and when finished. Something else that does not exist in the mediums I've worked in before. Yes balsa can be extremely fragile, especially when making the framework for light flying model aircraft, but overall it's stronger and more forgiving.

I have much to learn, but that is going to be a large part of the fun.

As will attempting to create a model for folding. I have some experience in 3DCG and building models for computer programs. Hopefully that will go some way to allowing me to drop some of my own ideas into a format others can utilise.

---

One quick (general) question.
Where would I post images of non-card models? The majority of this forum appears to be primarily card related and I don't want to be stepping on toes and suchlike.

lehcyfer

The thing about throwing money at the hobby is - it depends on the person. If one buys a lot of paper models the costs may add up, but then one is a collector rather tham a modeller :).

The truth is - any complicated, costly paper model is not a thing for a month or even a few when done in high precision. The model at the link is being done for years already - so any costs are spread over considerable amount of time which makes this hobby quite cheap.

Of course one can make smaller models like airplanes, tanks, cars - which can take from a week to a few months - but they are cheaper affairs. Also printing a model at home or print shop does cost - often not much less than buying a printed model.

I like models that are made purely from paper, but no one stops you from making some details from other materials. A modeler makes best use of his experience with wood, plastic, resin, metal, paper and other materials and can choose a way to realise his project.

I learned to laminate paper on flat areas - this prevents it from getting concave. There are lots of techniques applied to paper - as it is true with other materials - a matter of experience and examples to follow, which are nowadays easily available through myriads of paper modeling threads on hundreds of forums around the world. It's definitely a wonderful time to be a paper modeler :)

As for posting pics of other medium models this thread is a perfect place for them as it is your introduction into what you've been up to before you got into paper modelling.

Psyscape

There is a wealth of information available for building paper models, this is true. As for spending years building a model, not a problem. The Titanic I made (I will post a few images later when I've dug them out of the darker corners of my hard drives) took three years to complete (this includes collecting the parts), I'm not one for rushing things. :D

From your link, it looks like a great deal of customisation has gone into the making of that model, there are parts there which do not look like the originated with the model. I'll have to run the thread through Google translate to get a good drift of the conversation though.

I agree that it seems to be a wonderful time to get into Paper modelling, it is just sad that some excellent models are no longer available. Either the author moving on, or websites simply closing down. There are some links already that I've followed from Paper-replika which no long exist. But, this is the nature of the internet.

Anyway, I will post some images into this thread within the day to show some of what I have been playing with.

lehcyfer

Advances in easy 3D modelling make it feasible now for amateur to create his own parts or entire models. There are many people on the web - like Julius Perdana in the mentioned Paper-Replika who make new, exciting models on weekly basis.

So for every model that disappear 10 new appear. The disappearing is a part of web and if I like something i just grab it and save it on my hard disk :)

Z

Zathros

Also, if you don't mind me jumping in, folds are incorporated into the design of 99% of the paper models out there. If you fold accordingly, you parts will come out fine. Also, we are not paper purists around here, and wood is "unrealized" paper. I strongly suggest reenforcing models where you feel is necessary. There is nothing more disheartening seeing a model slowly warp over time as it absorbs the moisture in the room. Sealants and a strong frame can stop this. I think because of your experience you are going to really have a blast building models that are FREE and cover subjects that are hard to obtain otherwise. If you looking for something particular, just ask, I am sure someone will know, if it exists, and probably where to find it. :)

Psyscape

Thanks, I've already found so much that is "ooh, shiny" that I suspect I'll be busy for many years. So much to do, so little time to do it. ;)

My biggest problem is that I am very easily distracted from current projects. Not that things never get finished, but while I put things to the side waiting for them to dry or seal or whatever, I start fiddling with other things. Terrible habit and something that drives my wife completely insane. There's always half a dozen or so partly finished models laying around.

Meanwhile.

Please excuse the spam, it seems easier to make several posts to drop images than to attempt to include the whole lot in one post. The images are remotely hosted on my own webspace, but should show up here fine.

To start with this post, the first thing we built was a programmable robot and a little "play" buddy for him. It was a wonderful and fun project and the little bugger still works fine, unlike so many "robotic" toys that we've purchased over the years. Admittedly the modern OSs don't like the software that drives the 'bot, so I've had to keep XP on a system. But, such is the way of things.

The most complex model I've built (which again I no longer have following it's destruction by careless removals company) was a medieval castle. I forget the company that manufactured it, but it had a card base and one built up the buildings, walls and scenery from miniature real stone and bricks. Took lots of patience but it was spectacular when finished, as well as providing a considerable amount of satisfaction on completion. Unfortunately I don't have any photographs of that as we didn't have a camera back then.

Originally I was into Plastic kits - aren't we all - but I got, I don't know, "bored" I suppose. There was no real control over how they looked beyond a decent paint job and care in construction. Even modding them just didn't answer the need. That's about the time I discovered wood models. First purchase was a Billings Cutty Sark, which was destroyed during the move to our first house. Since then I've been collecting various partworks models and other similar "traditional material" models.

Robot_n_Buddy.jpg

Psyscape

While I wouldn't precisely describe myself as a control freak, I do like to control things. RC has long held a fascination for me, and building my own RC toys has been extremely enjoyable. Just wish I had more time to play with them.

I'm working on a Nitro Spitfire (slowly) which I'll show later (although there's not much to show. But I have completed a couple models. Monster Truck (nitro), Subaru (electric) and a BMW (nitro) work in progress (waiting for servos).

We do have a flying Spitfire, though technicaly it wasn't a kit. We bought a RTF Spitfire. All I had to do was add in the controls, motor and servos and off it went. Flew beautifully until the propellor tore itself free and the plane turned into a brick. I will repair it - eventually.

MonsterTruck_nitro.jpg

Subaru_elec.jpg

BMW_Nitro.jpg

Psyscape

Wood Modelling is one thing that I've enjoyed the most. It is messy, very, and the wife does get a tad miffed at me sometimes - some such thing about dust or similar. I keep telling her she should buy me a shed, but I always get the response "stop buying kits and you can have a shed." Yeah, like I actually want to sit outside in a freezing cold shed. HA!

Anyway.

Currently working on this little toy. The Cutty Sark, 1/80th scale

CuttySark-Frame_Decks.jpg

Awaiting parts, but also in progress are the Hood and Yamato

HMS Hood from Amati - formers and initial superstructure.
Hood_Formers.jpg

IJN Yamato from Model Space (formers)
Yamato_formers.jpg

Unfortunately the only photos I have of two other complete models are in their initial stages. I don't have the models anymore - I was offered far too tempting an amount of money for them, but I will remake them at some point.

Hull Formers and cannon holders, HMS Victory
Victory.jpg

Partially complete HMS Bounty
Bounty.jpg

Psyscape

Another partworks that I fell in love with was the RMS Titanic in 1/100. The partworks ran for almost two years and while expensive, comes in close to the cost of buying the model from the supplier, with the added bonus of a tremendous amount of related information and a ton of photographs.

The model took just over a year to complete but it was one of the nicest builds I've yet played around with. I did make a few errors in the construction of the hull, but managed to mostly hide these.

I wouldn't be able to calculate the hours spent on the model, but in the end I don't think it matters. The kit is beautiful and it's nice to have a great model of an iconic vessel. If it wasn't for the risk of the wife killing me in creative, slow and painful ways, I'd love to make this one again.

That's always a sad moment really. When you invest so much time and effort, to get to the end. Ah well.

Apologies for the quality of the images, we only had a little Fujitsu digital at the time and it wasn't particularly good at close in images. Have a Nikon now which does the job much better.

Titanic1.jpg

Titanic2.jpg

Titanic3.jpg

Titanic4.jpg

Titanic5.jpg

Titanic6.jpg

Titanic7.jpg

Psyscape

More recently as I mentioned above, I've been working on a 1/100 Bismark. I don't have many photos of this model in progress and none of it complete (I'll take a few when I get it back.) So, the following is all I have to show for it at the moment.

Bismark1.jpg

Bismark2.jpg

Bismark3.jpg

Bismark4.jpg

Bismark5.jpg

Bismark6.jpg

Bismark7.jpg

Bismark8.jpg

Bismark9.jpg

Another gorgeous model to work with, and one that kept me amused for many, many hours.

Psyscape

Sorry about this, it appears that the earlier posts got lost somewhere in the vast reaches of virtual space. Having to catch up to keep things a bit orderly

Build images of the Bismark. My apologies as there are quite a few

Bismark1.jpg

Bismark2.jpg

Bismark3.jpg

Bismark4.jpg

Bismark5.jpg

Bismark6.jpg

Bismark7.jpg

Bismark8.jpg

Bismark9.jpg

Oh, I forgot. One image of the whole ship. This is only a partial build and none of the superstructure, turrets or other parts are fixed. Still have to complete the decking at this stage. But, it gives a small impression perhaps of the scale. Beautiful ship, it's almost a shame that they sunk it.

Bismark_inProg.jpg

Psyscape

I'm not sure at this point if something went wrong. There "were" a bunch of posts awaiting approval but now they seem to have disappeared. Hopefully I didn't do something wrong and delete them.

Psyscape

Another highly complex but eminently satisfying build was a Fokker DR1. Again a partworks, and I have no images of it beyond this as it's currently stored in the roof. I must dig it out and finish the thing. No matter what the wife says about it's size.

RedBaron_NitroSpit.jpg

The lump behind the wings and frame of the DR1 is the start of a RC Nitro Spitfire. The Spit is proving to be a much more challenging build than I expected because the balsa supplied for the model is extremely fragile. I'm not convinced quite frankly that it will be able to stand the strains of a nitro engine and hurtling around the skies, but we'll see.

Psyscape

I think I mentioned that I was into Plastic modelling as well, so for the sake of completeness (aside from those visible in the bounty photo above), a couple more of my efforts with the old plastic stuff.

My son is quite heavily into Warhammer, so in order to teach him the futility of conflict and honour in defeat I started building myself a Nekron army. I dunno, psychotic killer robots just appeals to me somehow.

Nekron.jpg

and of course, where would anyone be without something from the legendary Tamiya? These people have had more of my money over the years than I care to think about, and almost all of the models have ended up as a victim to some accident or other. Insane? Only slightly.

SpecFor1.jpg