Greetings to all from the Detroit area.

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by PaperEngTech, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaperEngTech

PaperEngTech New Member

Hello, I am from the Detroit Michigan area and would like to introduce
    myself to the global modeling community. My professional background is
    in mechanical engineering and testing. My hobbies are radio control
    aircraft and now card modeling. My area of cardmodeling interest is
    aircraft load bearing structures. I am currently designing a cardstock
    electric powered remote control aircraft.

Thus far I have made 25.4 cm long (10 inch) wing test sections with a
    12.7 cm chord (5" width). They weigh 17 grams each and are covered
    with a plastic shrink covering. Calculations and actual tests have shown
    that they have the required load bearing capacity and torsional stiffness.
    The actual aircraft will have a 76.2 cm (30 inch) wingspan.
    My co-workers are amazed at the strength of the cardstock wing structure.

In the future I hope to design flying scale models and cover them in
    paper tissue.

I would like to thank everyone here that has shared their knowledge of
    card modeling and hopefully I will be able to contribute also!
    Will post pictures as soon as I choose a picture hosting service.

Thank you and have a nice day! :D
  2. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Hello, and welcome! You know that you can post images as attachments to messages as well. Max size then is 45 kb. Recommended max width 600 pix for easy readability (and higher quality at that filesize).

Play around with the attachment controls in the "Post Reply" option, and you'll get there eventually...

I for one would love to see your wing test section.

Best, Leif
  3. gera

gera Member

Hi.....(PaperTech :? )

Welcome, am sure you will find that we have a great group here from all over. Yea, post your pics!!!!!!
  4. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi and welcome

Oh boy are you going to get some questions thrown at you :lol: :lol:
    The more tech we have around here the better I say :D

Like Leif I would love to see your wing tests.

As I just posted in Gil's thread Iam testing out engine beds and main spars for a Lancaster, So this is right up my street.

So far I have made two mounts, one would take the load but was way to heavy to be used. The other went up in flames due to the heat from the engine exhaust, put it out just in time to save the engine :oops:

Being as thick as two short planks Iam still having a go at reducing weight while keeping the strength in the frames.

Methods so far for the spars have been solid, holes of all sizes cut into the spar. Soaking it in C/A (super glue), resin and some two pack glues. All have not worked so far, either too heavy or not strong enough to take the loads. Still plodding on with it though when I have time and the wife is not around to see the flames :lol:

Looking forward to your input on the site

Again welcome and have fun

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Papertech,

Welcome aboard, we are all glad to have ya here. This is really a great collection of people we have here and I think you will fit right in. We have alot of designers here who do everything from create basic models to really impressive static display models, to designers that are currently working on flying card models and other variations of kits originally designed in paper.
    It wont be a suprise to me when someone here designs a working paper model truck or car with a V-8 engine lol (thats a hint Rick).
    Anyway papertech, we are all glad to have you here, look around, meet the people, visit the parts bin and download a model or two if ya wish.

Have a nice day and again, welcome.

Greg aka GW
  6. PaperEngTech

PaperEngTech New Member

Gallery Pictures

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes. I have uploaded some pictures of my current design project to my gallery. I do not want to get off-topic so I plan to start a new topic in the Extended Mediums for Paper Models if anyone wants to discuss this design or the construction methods. Otherwise I will post there after I make additional progress worth reporting.
  7. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

"Wing ribs contain 14 parts each" - that sure got my attention. Eagerly waiting for full description...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.