Greetings From Southeastern NY, USA

Gummitale

Apr 27, 2015
Greetings to all!

My name is Steve, aka 'Gummitale' (from Disney's old cartoon series, "Gummi Bears," I used to be a big fan), and I just recently joined Zealot. I'm pushing sixty, but in my younger days, I used to build many space and science-fiction models - "Star Trek," "Star Wars," "Thunderbirds," Irwin Allen, you name it. I gradually sort of fell out of the hobby when I started running out of work and (more importantly) display space. However, that hasn't stopped me from collecting -- I proudly own many professionally made pieces from Bandai, Dragon, Konami, Master Replicas, and such. A number of years ago, I found out about card modeling, and I stared collecting again - mostly famous building and landmarks at first, and eventually branching out into various space and sci-fi items, which is what led me to Zealot.

Like many sci-fi fans and modelers, I had discovered the work of Uhu02 of Japan. His outstanding works are widely admired...and sadly, have been widely pirated (In fact, I just recently came across two of his "2001" pieces for sale on eBay). This has led to access to his model library being 'zealously' guarded and restricted. I did try the pass codes that Uhu02 had left to the membership some five years ago, they no longer appear to work. I just recently had a brief chat with one of the site administrators -- he advised me to reread the 'Message From Uhu02' thread elsewhere on Zealot, as "Everything you need is in it," Hopefully, I can eventually 'crack the code'...

I also hope I'll enjoy my time here. I believe this community can point me toward models of interest and also teach me techniques and tips that will be useful when I finally get around to building again. (Maybe after I win the lottery, retire, and get a bigger house)! :)

Finally, I do have a lighting-related question concerning a pair of plastic Japanese architectural models I recently acquired through Amazon. And...as soon as I can find the proper place for it, I'll post that question.

Thanks to all!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
A lot of us are pushing 60, no big deal, we still know have to have fun, and get away with it! Welcome to Zealot. I believe I answered our question, if you need more info, let me know. :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Pass to Uhu02 still works...as soon as you figure it out..took me awhile as well!
Past 60 and headed for the next big number! Lottery? one word..Recycle! of course that doesn't give you more room..nor more time!
I think at least 80% of what I build is from Tetley Tea boxes for the .5mm stuff and bigger!

baxter16

May 3, 2015
space for work and display is always a problem. I used to build plastic models (50 yrs ago) also built in wood and metal. Paper is so much easier and cheaper to work with. I have used file folders and cereal boxes and even copy paper. it all works.

cheers
bax

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Time to start 1/2 models!! :) I have a couple of Bass-Releifs you could try: If you build the girl right, nothing is showing, and it comes out really nice. It has a nice 3D effect. :)

(Time to start a dirty old man section!)

colvic_watson.jpg

Bas Relief.jpg Broad.jpg

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi Gummitale, welcome, like the others I can also vouch for the "Holy Grail" (or should that be the holly grill?) of Uhu02's site (password), it still works, good luck in finding it!

baxter16

May 3, 2015
pushing 60 is nothing..pulling it is a lot more fun.. if you play your cardstock right.