Greetings from Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Just thought I'd say "hi" to everyone. I've just gotten into card stock modeling this year through an introduction by one of my relatives who has a mutual fascination with aircraft of all types and star ships and vehicles from all walks of sci-fi fandom. The more obscure the better! I particularly like anything B5 (Babylon 5), Battlestar Galactica TOS, Terran Trade Authority (obscure), and Star Trek related. This is an example of some of the models I have done so far.

P6090312.JPG

I'm a big fan of Jan Rukr's work. The green ship is one of his designs titled Scarabus. The tank another one of his designs called the Raptor tank. The global delivery ship (From Aries Paper models) I thought was too small so I scaled it up 2x. Two of the models here are from the Eddles miniatures site the yellow and red ship is the Percheron RAF Rescue craft the one in the lower right hand corner (you can barely see it) is a hover craft from the same site.

THE original Battlestar Galactica
P6090306.JPG

The Raptor tank

P6090309.JPG

Scarabeus

P6090302.JPG

Percheron RAF Rescue craft

P6090303.JPG

Global Mail delivery ship - original scale (my first model) - 2x scale (the iron got a little warm on the tail)P6090301.JPG

Here's the hovercraft.
P6090310.JPG

I hope y'all out there enjoy them.

Take care and have a great evening!

Sincerely,

Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Also, I've recent finished building (today) the U.S.S. Prometheus from Star Trek Voyager (the ship that can split off to form three ships). The ships are dockable to each other by magnets encased on all three hulls (works well too!). Photos to be sent later.

Sky Seeker

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello Sky Seeker! :)

Welcome aboard! This is a fine intro, BTW. Really fine builds, too (the ironing could be seen as weathering ;) ).

I too am a HUGE BSG and Buck Rogers fan. Once I have finished the TOS Viper I'll be making a BIG battlestar (a completely new pattern).

Feel free to make yourself at home and have fun and enjoy! :)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member

Welcome aboard! This is a fine intro, BTW. Really fine builds, too (the ironing could be seen as weathering ;) ).

I too am a HUGE BSG and Buck Rogers fan. Once I have finished the TOS Viper I'll be making a BIG battlestar (a completely new pattern).

Hey thanks Revell-Fan! I've seen some of the stuff you've done before and your compliment means a lot. Thanks!

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Also, I've recent finished building (today) the U.S.S. Prometheus from Star Trek Voyager (the ship that can split off to form three ships). The ships are dockable to each other by magnets encased on all three hulls (works well too!). Photos to be sent later.

Sky Seeker
Hey everyone. Here are the photos of the U.S.S. Prometheus done from a model located on paragon's site.

P6270336.JPG P6270337.JPG
This is a bottom view of the "alpha" portion of the Prometheus. I'm sharing this view for others who are making this model. It is made to be inverted (or popped inward). The first time I made it, it was bowed outward. After seeing a picture of it positioned the other way, once the glue dried, I pushed it inwards and glued the back together to make it look like below.

P6270346.JPG

Side view "Beta" section (middle ship)

P6270339.JPG

Side view of "Gamma" Section (bottom ship)

P6270349.JPG
Side view of assembled three ships

P6270350.JPG

Back view assembled ships

P6270351.JPG

If you see the top (BETA) ship in this view, I took the original parts put them in MS paint combined them into one piece, added glue tabs, reprinted, glue in place, and there you go. The back portion also had a sizable gap, so another piece was made, cut to a desired shape, glued in place, and colored black.

Front view
P6270352.JPG
P6270353.JPG
Bottom front view

P6270355.JPG
All ships are joined together by magnets some in the front for the beta (middle) and gamma (bottom) ship and the back for the alpha (top ship).

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member

Looking forward to seeing the new BSG model.

Sky Seeker

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Symmetry and sharp, true fold and lines, are the hardest things some people need to learn, and you have that conquered. Once you have the basics, the more difficult models is just more of the same. Ships can get a little touch, when dealing with radii, but even then, as long as you work from the ends towards the center, they come out really good too. It is easier to correct, or adjust the center of a hull than the bow or stern. Welcome to Zealot, very happy to have you aboard. One word used around here a lot is "greeblin'". That's where you raise a surface that may be printed, or inversely, indent a pocket where one is printed. It adds much to models, and you can see examples of this through out the forum. :)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Symmetry and sharp, true fold and lines, are the hardest things some people need to learn, and you have that conquered. Once you have the basics, the more difficult models is just more of the same. Ships can get a little touch, when dealing with radii, but even then, as long as you work from the ends towards the center, they come out really good too. It is easier to correct, or adjust the center of a hull than the bow or stern. Welcome to Zealot, very happy to have you aboard. One word used around here a lot is "greeblin'". That's where you raise a surface that may be printed, or inversely, indent a pocket where one is printed. It adds much to models, and you can see examples of this through out the forum. :)

Thanks Zathros! I think that the model of the Prometheus (above) would lend itself well to this concept of "greeblin". Do you know of a good thread to take a look that demonstrates this well? I believe that in some pictures of the Prometheus some people did that on some of the features.

I'm really just a newbie at all of this with paper.

Thanks also for the advice on working from the ends toward the center.

The one thing on the model I'm most proud of is getting the wings to be raised or lower at a fixed orientation at the same height. That might sound strange and other people might find other features more interesting about the model, but this is the one that for some reason stands out to me. All I did was I cut out a strip of paper, cut in in half, glued one half within one wing and put the other half within the other (before I closed the wings). Once the glue dried, I raised the wings to the orientation desired, then glued the strips in the center together while holding the strips in place until dried. It worked very well.

Additionally, on the Prometheus I forget to mention the use of magnets in the main bodies of the Beta and Gamma ships in addition to the forward sections.

It's the problem solving aspects of this that are the most maddening, but also, VERY rewarding about doing these models.

The other thing about this model Prometheus was that there were NO instructions or glue tabs. All assembly was done by looking at photos of other ships and past experience taught me the use of glue tabs.

Thanks again for the advice.

Have a great day Zathros!

Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Welcome SS! Great job on those builds! you show good interest! I am looking forward to more build pics!
Hey Thanks Spaceagent! BTW I like your avatar of Kolchak the Night Stalker. I also like some of the work you've done on some of the older series that most people don't know about outside of the usual Star Trek Star Wars stuff.

My goal one day is to build my avatar as well as a few other B5 ships one day. Not today though.

All play and no work makes Jack a poor boy!

Thanks for stopping by.

Have a great day!

Sky Seeker

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
There are so many example of people greeblin', I don't know where to point you, maybe Christine U's "Voyager"? When you meet the requirements, very soon, you will be able to download this masterpiece by her.

voyager_title_d6q-1-_vru-jpg.125344

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
There are so many example of people greeblin', I don't know where to point you, maybe Christine U's "Voyager"? When you meet the requirements, very soon, you will be able to download this masterpiece by her.

voyager_title_d6q-1-_vru-jpg.125344
Wow! Thank you Zathros! So if I get this concept of "greebling" right you basically take small pieces of certain sections of the model and glue them on or create mini modules and glue them on to certain sections.

Hmmm... it does creates a different perspective. It truly adds something to the model. I'll try to see what I can do with my next model.

Thanks again.

Sky Seeker

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If I recall correctly (please correct me if I am wrong; it's been quite a while since I read the thread on the making of in a German forum :) ), Christine based his work on a "standard" Voyager model. Nothing fancy but it was somewhat "unspectacular". Then she began tweaking it. One thing led to another, she altered almost EVERY single bit, added detail, changed the unfold, cleaned it up, renewed the texture completely, she even added screenshots and placed them into the tiny windows. In the end she had developed a completely new model, the ULTIMATE Voyager. When I saw the pic zathros posted for the first time I thought it was the Revell kit. When I learned that it was made of paper, I was completely blown away.

As for greebling, you are correct. We have many people here who print out a kit several times or extract certain pieces to laminate the parts. Especially armour plating and small detail which only exists as texture benefit from that procedure. And yes, the model looks a lot better then. :)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
If I recall correctly (please correct me if I am wrong; it's been quite a while since I read the thread on the making of in a German forum :) ), Christine based his work on a "standard" Voyager model. Nothing fancy but it was somewhat "unspectacular". Then she began tweaking it. One thing led to another, she altered almost EVERY single bit, added detail, changed the unfold, cleaned it up, renewed the texture completely, she even added screenshots and placed them into the tiny windows. In the end she had developed a completely new model, the ULTIMATE Voyager. When I saw the pic zathros posted for the first time I thought it was the Revell kit. When I learned that it was made of paper, I was completely blown away.

As for greebling, you are correct. We have many people here who print out a kit several times or extract certain pieces to laminate the parts. Especially armour plating and small detail which only exists as texture benefit from that procedure. And yes, the model looks a lot better then. :)

Hey Thanks Revell Fan! BTW my next model will probably be the Defender from BSG (new series). I'm still trying to define a good design for the turrets. Although the concept of greebling just screams to be done on the Prometheus (just not on this particular model). Once I'm done with a model (make a sign of the cross Catholic style) I'm D.O.N.E. That's it.. finito. I'd rather restart from scratch than revisit the old. Maybe I'm just quirky like that.

Well thanks again RF.

Have a GREAT day!

Sky Seeker

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you! :)

BTW, I know what you mean.

Our admin Rhaven Blaack often builds a model to learn how the parts fit together and to understand the logic of the assembly. Then he would start to build the same model again, but this time he would greeble the heck out of it. Just look for "Detailed Buck Rogers Thunderfighter" here at zealot to see how far he goes. :)

When I am making a new model from scratch there might be some areas which would not fit or which would require adjustments. Rather than starting a new test build I take the existing one, remove the wrong structure and glue the revised one over the flawed one. In addition, I often use the back side of misprints to make my test builds. And I love cereal boxes which make for good laminations. In short, I am a member of the inofficial NWAPOCC ("Never-waste-a-piece-of-cardboard club") :D .

I'm looking forward to your next builds. CU! :)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Once I'm done with a model (make a sign of the cross Catholic style) I'm D.O.N.E. That's it.. finito. I'd rather restart from scratch than revisit the old. Maybe I'm just quirky like that.
Amen Brother... I've built about 20 different Enterprise models, Trying a new technique on each one.... eventually, I'll put everything together.