Greetings from New York State

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by rockpaperscissor, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone,

I am a long time modeller, but like many of us that hail from the USA, I'm relatively new to card modelling. I've been a dedicated Military Miniaturist for the past 20 years, and tried a paper castle as a diversion a couple of years ago. I was immediately hooked, and modelling in card became a second hobby for me. I've completed 3 castles, and have moved on to armor to see what kind of challenges lie in wait for me there.
    My first armor kit was the old Maly Putilow-Garford armored car from 1980 which I picked up on eBay (link to a 3 photo slideshow provided below). I thought it would be a good kit to start with since it's fairly basic, but still offered the challenge of a revolving turret and sponsons. I went with an armored car because at the time the thought of assembling all those bogie wheels and tracks was just too much.
    Now I have a hankerin' to build a tank, and I'll soon be starting the Model Card Panzer II Ausf. C. Still no interior, but it does have tracks. Baby steps. I'll post photos of my progress.
    Here's the link to my Putilow armored car. The shots are disappointing as my camcorder is rather dated, but you'll get the general idea. I weathered the model with pastels which, from what I've seen and read, isn't normally done, but it seems to me a military vehicle ought to be dirty, not all bright and shiny like it just drove out of the, tank wash.
    Click Here
    Don Weeks

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy and welcome to the forum Don,

We are glad you found us. The model looks great and I would say there is nothing wrong with a "dated" camcorder.
    But, alot of card modelers do use pastels to weather their models. I would venture to say that most of us have a set of pastel pencils and/or pastel chalks in our hobby areas. Heck, I remember seeing a build of a wwII jeep in the last few months that used not only pastels, but finely ground coffee to achieve a "lumpy mud" weathering.
    I think that if you will visit frequently you will come across ideas you had never previously considered....i know I have.
    Well again, welcome to the forum and if you would like some links to some free downloadable models, just reply back and let me know what you are looking for and I will see what I can come up with or point you in the right direction.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  3. barry

barry Active Member

Hi Don

Welcome to the asylum the inmates are friendly. You are lucky to have some top range cardmodellers near you (well maybe just how big is New York state)

Maybe you had better give us a course in pastel shading, weathering or what have you, they do it quite a bit on the Polish sites.

4. Gil

Gil Active Member

First off welcome aboard.

Castles then armor..., something about protection in there somewhere...,

Can't wait till you start cranking out tank treads..., that's when most armor types turn to something that doesn't have treads on it (Jim Nunn is repeat offender that doesn't ever seem to get over having numb fingers). In fact that's what should be cut out by laser. Digressing is a common trait amongst those of us that suffer from total attention deficity disorder as you'll find a quite common malady amongst some of us here. Relax, sit back, enjoy the show and by all means post good shots of your triumphs and even your disasters if they're good enough...,

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

This page is left intentionally blank which it is not. Please leave it that way so if there is something to say that was intentionally not mentioned there will be room for it at a later time.

6. possm_23

possm_23 Member

Welcome to the site Don....some great people here...and great ideas.....:grin:
  7. Thanks for the encouraging words, fellas. I poked around in here for a couple of hours last week before joining, and I was impressed with the depth and scope of the content. I KNOW I'll have no problem finding tips here to help me build my skills. I'm glad I stumbled across you guys (and probably a few gals too).

8. Sorry for double-posting; computer troubles.
  9. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Welcome, I look forward to seeing your models

Hummm Numb fingers I resemble that!

What’s more important when making track links is a numb brain, and yes I have one of those too.

Jim Nunn
  10. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

well NYS is bigger than most people realize, but your in my neighborhood, I'm in Rockland County. Welcome aboard. I've built a few castles, and then some.

I specialize in Rockets:

at exit 14B...
  11. Rockland county's not too far at all - I'm in southern Dutchess county. I have visited your website before (very impressive), and downloaded and built the Regult Battlepod that you provide there. It was a very well designed little model. Looks like you have some new free downloads as well. It's a great resource for paper modelers. It's good to know I'm not alone in the area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.