Greetings from Germany

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by sparrowhawk, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Good evening everybody,
    (it´s close to midnight in Germany:grin: ). I came here via the german "" forum which has a link to this page. I also already discovered some well known faces in here.
    I re-discovered cardboard building as an old pastime of mine some time ago, when I noticed my PC also had a button to switch it off. I had started with this pastime at the age of about 8 years with the Antoinette and Bleriot by Schreiber, later the "Spirit of st.Louis" etc...
    Born in 1964, working with handicapped children for a living and addicted to my guitars: Mostly stuff like Gordon Lightfoot, David McWilliams, Simon and Garfunkel and the like. More pastimes: Recumbent bicycles and tricycles, tinkering with old cars and so on...
    My main areas of interest in cardboard building are aircraft, preferably "Golden Age" racers and WW II fighters, although some cars (preferably Citroen) may also get in between. Presently I am trying to get to grips with the Fly Model Spitfire MK Vb which has got some major inaccuracies to get along with.

See you around,
  2. barry

barry Active Member

Nice to see you here like you say a lot of the same faces.
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

It is a small World after all! Glad to see you hear Martin.

4. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

Hello Sparrowhawk.............

Hi Sparrowhawk,

this is fluthecrank, it seems that cardmodelling is a global hobby :wink: ,
    very nice to meet you´s a nice community it seems......

best FLU
  5. modelincard

modelincard Member

I hope that we get to see some of your builds sometime.
  6. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Welcome Martin.
  7. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Thank you all for this friendly welcome! Pictures of models to follow soon. Presently I use my time to continue with the Spitfire.

Greetings, Martin
  8. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Hello Martin,

It's nice to see someone else with interest in human-powered-vehicals. I've got several recumbents including a Greenspeed trike.

Maybe you could make a bicycle fairing using cardmodeling techniques.

It sure is tempting to try modeling some of the great HPVs. I keep toying with the idea of modeling the Gossamer Condor.

9. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Hello Lizzie,
    looks like I have touched down at the right spot. :grin: In fact I am tinkering about with some ideas for a partial front fairing and a lockable tail box for my Steintrike recumbent trike ( ). I built an "Alleweder" fully enclosed trike some 8 years ago, so I know working with sheet aluminium not to be that different from working with cardboard, especially when it comes to producing finely streamlined shapes with materials that can only be bent in one direction.
    It is possible, as many cardboard aircraft show, especially those charming gliders by GPM. Have a thorough look at their SZD-10 "Czapla" and the SZD-15 "Sroka". I do not like to work with GRP, as it is quite a messy process and it may take ages to remove all those pieces of microscopic glass fibers in your skin. So I prefer aluminium sheet: Neat, clean, precise. Presently my workshop is a bit too cold for this, but I use my time by building cardboard aircraft to get some inspiration.

Regards, Martin
  10. cbg

cbg Member

Wie geht's? Like you, I also log-in to forum where you are a familiar contributor. I followed the GeeBee R1/2 build with interest as I also like those 1930's racers.

And as you can see by my "face", I have a thing for your country's most famous export.

11. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

Hey I did not know the Beetle is Germany´s most famous export. I rather thought of "Loewenbrau" or similar things. I admit to have fallen for the french counterpart of the Beetle, the Citroen 2CV. Later, I discovered Citroen had more rather unique cars on offer like the Ami 6, the LNA or the humble yet incredibly reliable and amiable Visa I like to tinker around with in the summer. There even was a cardboard model of it, once.
    Aircraft: Presently I am waiting to get my new inkjet printer so I can start work on Jan Muellers DeHavilland Comet.

Greetings, Martin
  12. cbg

cbg Member

Yeah, I like the 2CV as well. Something about those fold-down windows. Are you familiar with this free site for the 2CV?

I am also curious if you have been following Leif Oh's thread on his DH Comet? Very nice work. . .

bis spater, cbg
  13. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk Member

I have been inhaling the thread by leif.
    As I will get my new inkjet printer by tomorrow I am longing to get the DH88 built. some years ago I converted a DH88 for the X-Plane flight simulator to a freaky canard version which flew extremely well in the sim. I might do the same thing in cardboard some day.
    Yes, I know the site about those Citroens. I use a Citroen BX saloon to commute to work everyday. What a smoooth diesel engine it has!

Greetz, Martin
  14. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

15. cbg

cbg Member

I wonder if anyone at this forum has done a survey on the prefered drink of card modelers?
  16. maddin

maddin New Member

hmmm...i have seen you before sparrowhawk...:)
    will introduce myself tomorrow...too tired now...*yaaaawn*
    cya maddin
  17. possm_23

possm_23 Member

Welcome to this place...You meet a lot of nice folks here......and ocasionally an old grouch....:) :) :twisted:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.