Greetings from Central Ohio

Maverick65

:wave: Hello all. I'm new to the paper model scene. Been building plastic kits off and on for years. But thought I'd try my hand at paper modeling after viewing some of the interesting ones on the web so thought I my get some advice by joining the forums. Have tried my hand on a couple of simple designes using paper, tape and glue. Looking forward to trying cardstock but will need some more experiance before I start anything complex.

I have some ideas(designes) on paper for some projects I would like to do someday but am to new to be able to do so yet. Need to find a good designing program, any advice on what everyone is using would be appriciated, and practice, practice and practice. Thanks.

Regards, Rick

Z

Zathros

:welcome1: to the forum Maverick65. Glad to have you aboard. I'd recommend building a few models before delving into design. You will be reinventing the wheel if you do that. If you can name some of your interests, I am sure we can find you some good, interesting, FREE models to try out. As far as software, that depends on a few factors, such as your experienced with computers, and or artistic abilities.

We're happy to help, what are the subjects that interest you? :)

Maverick65

Thanks for welcoming me aboard Zathros. First I must say that I like your avatar and username, B5 is still one of my favorite shows. It came on the air about the same time DS9 did, in my area they played at the same time and I found myself tuning in to it more often then DS9 even though I've been a Trekkie my whole life. I enjoyed the story lines and effects better and still watch it on dvd.

I agree I need a lot more experiance/practice building with paper products before I start desinging for public release. I just wasn't sure what the designers use. If it's two seperate progams, design and modelling, or if there was a single program that is being used. I downloaded the pepakura viewer so I could see models saved in the PDO format. I was a computer programmer once upon a time so am able to learn new apps quite quickly. This time I would like to take my time since I'm now retired and have plenty of free time.

My main interest lay in the scifi realm. Been building Star Trek & Star Wars models since I was a little kid. I've been to a few sites and downloaded a few models to start with since I'm unable dl anything here yet. If you know of any good places to start I would be much appriciated.

Thanks for everything,

Rick

Z

Zathros

There are a lot of people here who make amazing models with Pepakura designer. I think you could get a lot o help here with that. I used Rhno3D 4.0. It is very costly. I do a lot of computer aided design, so I have oher uses from this ind of program. I also use Adobe Photoshop CS3, and CS5.

That being said, there are people who make fantastic models using Paint! Some use Blender, some use Sketchup. You will have to find a program that feels intuitive that feels intuitive to you. So you may find yourself starting with one program, then moving to another. Many people look t how designs they like are made, and use that method for their models. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. It is in fact why so many models seem to go together the same way.

Figure out how much money you want to spend. No body I have ever met makes money off of modeling. Some make some small change, but not a living. There are so many free models, frankly, I think you would have to have something rather special to charge for it. There are quite a few models that fall into that category though. I have purchased a few models.

Also, if you find a model that you even have the slightest inkling you may want to build, download it! Models have a way of disappearing.

Try the following sites, all their models are free, and there are more than one could probably do in a lifetime!:

Paper-Replika

http://paper-replika.com/

Paragon Models:

http://www.freewebs.com/paragon19/

Jaybats Models:

http://www.freewebs.com/jaybats/

Maverick65

Thanks for all the info and links Zathros. I will head on over to them a take a look around. I'm sure I can find a few things to get started with.

I'll have to post some pics and get some feedback on my building techniques to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Is there any particular place I should post them? I don't mind constructive or destructive critisism as long as it's honest. How else can one learn.

Thanks again for all your help...Rick

Z

Zathros

If you make a model, Start a "New Thread" in the appropriate subsection, , Look at the "Forum" Tab, and to go the "Card Models" section, you will see a category section like this;

Model Build Categories:Sub-Forums: Aircraft & Aviation, Anime, Cartoons, Figurines & Paperdolls, Architecture Models, Armory & Military, Commercial & Racing Vehicles, Dioramas & Displays, Everything else, Gaming & Toys, Rail Cars & Engines, Science Fiction & Fantasy, Ship & Watercraft Models, Space & Aeronautics

Start a new thread under the appropriate subsection. We allow constructive criticism, but it must be sincere and uplifting. I am very strict about that. We are really trying to be a forum that helps people, whatever their skill level, and no matter where they come from. :)

Maverick65

Went to the links and found some things to start building. Thanks. I thought I found a treasure trove at jaybats; I loved what I saw but the links are down with the exception of a wave 1. I did a search and found out he is a member here but appears to be inactive. Do you know if his models for wave 2, 3, and 4 are available in the download section? I don't have access yet.

I was glad to hear that the members here will give me some honest feedback. There appear to be a lot of talent here and plenty of people willing to share.

Thanks again for all your help,

Rick

Z

Zathros

Jaybats models become available now and then. Try to download them really late at night. If there are a lot of people downloading them, it becomes difficult. No one is allowed to exchange models without express permission, so please, do not ask!

If you like Babylon 5, try out this Russian site, the models are fantastic and FREE!:

http://lepaj80.narod.ru/babylon5.html

There's an excellent Lotus Europa here, and quite a few other models:

http://www8.wind.ne.jp/takumi/s0711.html

lotus1.JPG

curtiss1.JPG

macchi1.JPG

Some fantastic Car models here, they are not simple builds though, but well worth the effort.:

http://www.ymjr.cz/downloads.php?cat_id=3

model_ferrari312pb_02_thumb.jpg

mclaren02_thumb.jpg

alitalia01_thumb.jpg