Greetings from BC, Canada

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Winky, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winky

Winky New Member

Hi all,

I have been lurking in the forum for some time and have finally decided to get out of stealth mode. In my youth, I used to build plastic models but was not very fond of the expense and painting part of the hobby. I eventually took up origami (paper folding). I am an accomplished origami artist and have designed some pretty elaborate models. The diagrams for a few of my models are available out on the net. I also have the unusual hobby of making wargaming miniatures from paper using origami and paper modeling techniques. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, my “armies” usually consist of just one or two lonely recruits :(. It was during my experimentations with paper miniatures that I discover the hobby of “pure” paper/card modeling. Like most people I started off with the free offerings available on the net. I longed for some of the more elaborate commercial models, but had trouble finding local sources. Canada has some pretty steep brokerage and customs fees that make ordering internationally a lot more expensive. Luckily, I eventually found the Hobby Factory which offered great prices and is a Canadian source. Since I have a young family, I have to budget my purchases slowly; about once every year, I get to indulge myself on a modest spending spree. However, even though my collection is relatively small, I am like most of you in the sense that I have a surplus of unbuilt models due to time constraints. Eventually, I would love to design some complicated models myself.

When I was younger, I had the time but did not have the money. Now that I am middle aged, I have limited time and limited money. I am hoping that when I finally retire 10 or 20 years from now, I will finally have both the time and the money to enjoy the hobby :).
  2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Welcome Winky!!!

To have more time...
    You know, I would have to live to be probably four hundred years old to build all the cardmodels I have.
    To have more money...
    I would'nt wish THAT on anybody!

Please feel free to post pics of your origami. If you want to.
  3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Hello, Winky

Reading your history, it looks just like mine. Same thing on everything, but instead of origami, I was on stamp collecting, and still have a very interesting US and Mexico collection (thanks to my father).

Would be great to check your builts.

Welcome to the forum. Best regards from Mexico.
  4. Good to see you posting. It would be really nice to have an origami expert around here.

I can't remember the last time I paid any brokerage or customs fees. It's true that IF they pass something through customs there is a minimum $5 processing fee and you have to pay GST. Rarely, however, does that happen any more. I received two packages this morning from the US and neither of them went through customs processing.

More important, however, you can buy most of the good stuff via download/PayPal. I've bought somewhere around 40 models this way in the past couple months. No shipping charges whatever. No waiting for them to arrive either. But you're lucky to be close to the Hobby Factory. They're great, if they have what you want.

Cardmodeling is the cheapest hobby I've ever done but I can sure relate to that time problem. Good to see another Canadian resident here.

Cheers --- Larry
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hiya Winky! Welcome to the forums. I would be quite interested in seeing some of your origami. I used to be quite good at it th ough I havent done it in quite some time. Wont cutting the paper be like sacrelige to you? :)
  6. Alcides

Alcides Member

Welcome aboard !!!

I can love to see a big picture of you avatar !!!

7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Welcome to the site.

I have the strange feeling i know you, from the origami lists, as Joseph Wu.

8. Winky

Winky New Member

It has been some time since I've ordered things internationally and so things may have changed. In the past, I have always gotten caught with extra fees. In one instance, I had a publisher send me a free complimentary book and I ended up having to paid $10 in fees for it! I also wonder if it depends on where you are. I have heard that some people say it is a hit and miss affair; maybe I just get hit more than other people. With a limited budget, I need to save up for my purchases and I usually prefer the more conventional offerings from GPM, Halinski, JSC and Modelik. This is not to say I don't like the downloadable stuff - I want them, but I have to settle for the stuff I really, really, really want.

No I am not Joseph Wu. In terms of origami he is in a totally higher class than me. He is a friend of mine and I used to hang out with him at the local origami club way back when I had more time on my hands. I did haunt the origami lists in the past so our paths may have crossed there. I am known for some of my Star Wars stuff and paper miniatures. Joseph's site has diagrams for my x-wing if you really want to ID me. I used to have a webpage myself, but it is now defunct since I don't have the time or energy to maintain it.

I will try to get a few pics of some of my stuff up in the near future. I do have a few simple card models I designed for wargaming that I want to share with you all. Just be patient, I'll eventually get to it. In the meantime here's a bigger picture of my x-wing. It follows the purist origami convention of a square sheet with no cuts. The markings are added on for realism.

Attached Files:

9. Amazing origami!!!

As for having stuff sent to Canada, there are a couple caveats. First, NEVER let anyone send anything to you via any mechanism other than normal post. Virtually everyone else charges 'broker fees' to move it across the border. The exception to this that I've seen is DHL Global. If you get into paying these broker fees you can easily pay half the price of the item for the privilege of receiving it. I just make sure that US mail is used. But truthfully, there's little need to buy cardmodels through the mail with so many available for sale in electronic format.

As for 'hit & miss', that may be true but I live in Quebec City which is a hobby & book wasteland so I order a LOT of stuff via the Internet. I receive at least one package per week from out of the country and generally more. I can't remember the last time I paid any fees and then it's only the $5 handling fee and GST. As I pay GST for everything I buy in a store, I don't consider those to be an extra burden.

Cheers --- Larry
  10. Darwin

Darwin Member

Welcome to this side of the closet, Winky. I've made it a bit past your stage in life, and can testify to the truth of what the Rabbi said in the great begins when the last kid leaves home and the dog dies! Now to make the last hurdle and gain the time to enjoy the unspoken-for piece of the budget.
  11. tpaetkau

tpaetkau New Member

I'm new here to, in Winnipeg, but i think i'll check out the hobby factory. Thanks for the info.

newbie as well
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.