Great train meet and deals

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Went to a good train meet yesterday, saw some really good layouts (modular) and some really good clinics. Mostly I did some shopping though.
My first score was a P2K CNR FB-2 dummy for 25$ I had always wanted one to go behind my CNR FA-1 and see how those P2K diaphrams work (they work really good BTW!) There was another dealer set up and everything that he had was 50% off so I picked up alot of stuff off him, mostly detail parts and decals but I got a WS branchline water tower for 7$ and a P2K mill gon for 8$. Finally I found an MDC/roundhouse RS-3 (undecorated but powered) for 10$. I probably spent too much but it'll keep me busy for awhile!

Oh yeah the Clinics, the two that I attended were on trestles and bridges. I fellow modeler who happens to be an engineer (not the train driver kind) he explained how to build trestles the way that the prototypes were built, in stories instead of using pileings that are a scale 100+ feet. for a demonstration model he brought a trestle that he had scratched measuring 2 feet high and 4 feet long. he had over 1200 Grandt line NBW castings in it!
The second clinic was about the trestles and bridges on the former Kettle Valley line of the CPR with a slide show showing the surviving trestles and where they are located. For those of you that don't know in 2003 Kelowna experienced one of the worst forest fire seasons on record (250+ homes burned) Many of The trestles of the KVR nearby burned and the clinc also covered the rebuilding efforts.

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Dear Glen,
I am new to the west coast and live near Vancouver. I've attended train shows and swap meets in Nanaimo and Burnaby and found some excellent buys. Would you happen to have a schedule of train shows coming up in the lower mainland? It seems that this information is no longer published in Model Railroader or Model Railroad Craftsman magazines.

-Ed Acosta

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Unfortunetly no, I don't get out that way very much any more. Model railroad does however have schedules posted on their web site and the hobby shops on the lower mainland (pacific scale rail for example) would have more infromation.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
ED
Try going through C.A.R.M's website ,if they don't have the info try the club listing and find a club in your area. they generally have a site with listings for shows 'n' such.