Great Smokey Mountain Railroad

Peirce

The GSMR engineer is returning to GP-7, number 777, after stopping to give the passengers and crew a lunch break alongside the Nantahola River,in the western part of North Carolina.

GSMRWoods-vi.jpg

Great Smoky Mountain Railroad

Yes, that's a nice ride. When I took it, a few years ago, it was steam powered. I wonder if they still use steam on some runs?

Peirce

They use steam during the summer for some of their rides. The ride we took was probably the last of their winter schedule. We were just lucky with the weather. On the way to North Carolina we went through a snow storm and on the way back it was raining. In between, it was mostly sunny and in the hith 70s.

Peirce

Here is a shot taken at the end of the day. The crew is taking a ride to the service area to get 777 ready for the next day's work.

GSMRCrew-vi.jpg

Peirce

This is the river to which I referred in my first post in this thread. It is part of what makes the GSMR ride so nice.

NRiver1-vi.jpg

kf4jqd

Smoky Mountains!

My parents live on the Tennessee side of the Great Smoky Mountains (near Knoxville.) They have rode on this train and it was steam. When Jess and I move down there this summer. We plan to stop over there too. Also if you get to visit Townsend, Tennessee. They are exspanding their railroad muesum. It's theme is "Logging in The Smokies." I have also rode in the Dollywood Express in Dollywood (Dolly Parton's themepark.)

Andy