Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by interurban, Jan 1, 2006.

1. interurban

interurban Active Member

If you have never seen this railway before - runs from Whitehorse, Yukon to Skagway, Alaska - it is a fantastic sight in real life -- to those of you
    who have been there you will know what I am talking about

Should you ever journey to the Yukon, travel to the goldfields in style, "a must ". For over 100 years the only land route .

"Were you ever out in the ,"Great Unknown," With a silence you almost can hear ?"

The rest of North America did away with perfectly good steam trains. Northerners still use & treasure 'em .

Attached Files:

2. interurban

interurban Active Member

I have never been there,,, YET, But it`s on my must do list. :D

Attached Files:

3. interurban

interurban Active Member

Here are the last pictures.
    Credit to Diesel John for sending me the slide show. :thumb:

Attached Files:

4. Brian

Brian Member

Chris, Thank you for sharing those pictures..... those pictures are breathtaking! I bet it'd be quite an experience to be on one of those plow trains :eek:
  5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Amazing photos, Chris!
    That is truly some MAJESTIC scenery!
    :eek: :thumb: :thumb: :eek:
  6. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

This is one of those places that can't be totally enjoyed through pics (but they help) :D :D Beautiful!! Just Beautiful!! :) :) :)
  7. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Great Pictures.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  8. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Wow! Those mountain route scenes are amazing! What a view and what a great ride! As for the winter plowing...Brrrrr! :)
  9. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

anyone tried to model their operations, or have any of thier equipment?
  10. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Thank you, Chris, for showing us these pictures!
    They came exactly at the right time for me, since yesterday I started 'building' the WP&Y as a TRAINZ layout on my computer!

And at the same time: My best wishes for your birthday, Chris! I'll raise a glass to your health! :thumb:
    Hey, come to think of it: it's YOU who made a present to US - some way to celebrate a birthday! :D :D :D

11. interurban

interurban Active Member

You are welcome re pictures they are good eh?

Hi Ron how are you friend, so glad these pictures arrived in a timely manner :D

Thanks for the B/D wishes I also will raise my glass a few times :D :D :D

So you are "building" the White Pass & Yukon on Trainz, I have the Ultimate Collection edition , are you working with the same?

I have had it a few years and never realy got into it :rolleyes:
  12. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Some fantastic shots there Chris.:thumb: Thanks for sharing them with us. We here in the southwest can't possibly comprehend what some of those scenes depict, unless of course, that's white sand they're pushing around after a really severe sand storm...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Great stuff, post more if you can.:wave:
  13. Relic

Relic Member

there was a show on the disc channel on the building of that road looked like a LOT of fun
  14. interurban

interurban Active Member

I do not know of any L/O depicting this Railway, I should think there must be some one modeling it maybe in that area.

It would be a nice L/O to build as I to like the equipment.

Let us know if you find one. :thumb:
  15. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

101 Track Plans for Model Railroaders by Lynn Westcott had one layout for the White Pass and Yukon is I remember correctly. We have been doing a bunch of renovating and most of my books are packed away so I can't access it right now to make sure.
  16. Marxed

Marxed Member

17. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

You are right, Russ, the WP&Y is plan #101 in the book '101 Track Plans'. I own a very old edition (1969), so I don't know if it s included in the newest re-relase of this book.
    There was another Kalmbach book, 'More Railroads you can model' (1978, out of print), which featured the same track plan, but had a lot of additional prototype information.

I updated my TRAINZ to 'Railroad Simulator 2006'. There is a lot of additional free stuff to download in the web - among them quite a heap of 3ft narrow gauge rolling stock, including the funny cab diesels of the 90 class. I started the WP&Y for a change from the 'normal' D&RGW 3-footers. A second project is a layout based on the Maine two-footers, namely the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes, and the third project is a mountain line here in Switzerland.
    However, I'll work on these layouts only when the mood strikes - working on my own real 3d TC&W in the basement has far more priority. :D :thumb:

BTW, here is another link for WP&Y fans. Lots of pictures - and it really is a beautiful scenery!

18. interurban

interurban Active Member

Thanks Russ and Ron for the updates.

That`s a neat web site Ron.

Like you Ron I have to much to do down stairs at the moment , But I must one day get into that there Trainz.
  19. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

WOW! I am speechless!

OK, I am back. WOW! That is incredible! Seeing those steamers push that rotary plow is amazing! Forget the summer tourist sightseeing - I want to ride the snow train!

PS - What happened to the skier?
  20. Cadillac_SD9

Cadillac_SD9 Member

Nice photos. I look forward to more great pics.