GREAT PICTURES!!!!!!!"WHITE PASS & YUKON RAILWAY"

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
If you have never seen this railway before - runs from Whitehorse, Yukon to Skagway, Alaska - it is a fantastic sight in real life -- to those of you
who have been there you will know what I am talking about

Should you ever journey to the Yukon, travel to the goldfields in style, "a must ". For over 100 years the only land route .

"Were you ever out in the ,"Great Unknown," With a silence you almost can hear ?"

The rest of North America did away with perfectly good steam trains. Northerners still use & treasure 'em .

Attachments

• Rail_routes111.jpg
    Rail_routes111.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Rail_routes2.jpg
    Rail_routes2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 154
  • Rail_routes3.jpg
    Rail_routes3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 65
  • Rail_routes4.jpg
    Rail_routes4.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Rail_routes5.jpg
    Rail_routes5.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 72

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
I have never been there,,, YET, But it`s on my must do list. :D

Attachments

• Rail_routes6.jpg
    Rail_routes6.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Rail_routes7.jpg
    Rail_routes7.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Rail_routes8.jpg
    Rail_routes8.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Rail_routes9.jpg
    Rail_routes9.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Rail_routes10.jpg
    Rail_routes10.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 64

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Here are the last pictures.
Credit to Diesel John for sending me the slide show. :thumb:

Attachments

• Rail_routes11.jpg
    Rail_routes11.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Rail_routes12.jpg
    Rail_routes12.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Rail_routes13.jpg
    Rail_routes13.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 130
  • Rail_routes14.jpg
    Rail_routes14.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Rail_routes15.jpg
    Rail_routes15.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 70

Brian

Dec 19, 2005
New Waverly,TX.
Chris, Thank you for sharing those pictures..... those pictures are breathtaking! I bet it'd be quite an experience to be on one of those plow trains :eek:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thank you, Chris, for showing us these pictures!
They came exactly at the right time for me, since yesterday I started 'building' the WP&Y as a TRAINZ layout on my computer!

And at the same time: My best wishes for your birthday, Chris! I'll raise a glass to your health! :thumb:
Hey, come to think of it: it's YOU who made a present to US - some way to celebrate a birthday! :D :D :D

Ron

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
You are welcome re pictures they are good eh?

Hi Ron how are you friend, so glad these pictures arrived in a timely manner :D

Thanks for the B/D wishes I also will raise my glass a few times :D :D :D

So you are "building" the White Pass & Yukon on Trainz, I have the Ultimate Collection edition , are you working with the same?

I have had it a few years and never realy got into it :rolleyes:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Some fantastic shots there Chris.:thumb: Thanks for sharing them with us. We here in the southwest can't possibly comprehend what some of those scenes depict, unless of course, that's white sand they're pushing around after a really severe sand storm...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Great stuff, post more if you can.:wave:

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
MilesWestern said:
anyone tried to model their operations, or have any of thier equipment?

I do not know of any L/O depicting this Railway, I should think there must be some one modeling it maybe in that area.

It would be a nice L/O to build as I to like the equipment.

Let us know if you find one. :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
interurban said:
I do not know of any L/O depicting this Railway, I should think there must be some one modeling it maybe in that area.

It would be a nice L/O to build as I to like the equipment.

Let us know if you find one. :thumb:

101 Track Plans for Model Railroaders by Lynn Westcott had one layout for the White Pass and Yukon is I remember correctly. We have been doing a bunch of renovating and most of my books are packed away so I can't access it right now to make sure.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
You are right, Russ, the WP&Y is plan #101 in the book '101 Track Plans'. I own a very old edition (1969), so I don't know if it s included in the newest re-relase of this book.
There was another Kalmbach book, 'More Railroads you can model' (1978, out of print), which featured the same track plan, but had a lot of additional prototype information.

Chris,
I updated my TRAINZ to 'Railroad Simulator 2006'. There is a lot of additional free stuff to download in the web - among them quite a heap of 3ft narrow gauge rolling stock, including the funny cab diesels of the 90 class. I started the WP&Y for a change from the 'normal' D&RGW 3-footers. A second project is a layout based on the Maine two-footers, namely the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes, and the third project is a mountain line here in Switzerland.
However, I'll work on these layouts only when the mood strikes - working on my own real 3d TC&W in the basement has far more priority. :D :thumb:

BTW, here is another link for WP&Y fans. Lots of pictures - and it really is a beautiful scenery!

Ron

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
WOW! I am speechless!

OK, I am back. WOW! That is incredible! Seeing those steamers push that rotary plow is amazing! Forget the summer tourist sightseeing - I want to ride the snow train!

Andrew

PS - What happened to the skier?