Great Nothern Empire Builder

nicknero

Aug 19, 2005
Im looking for Great Nothern corrugated streamlined passenger cars and the only ones Ive seen were IHC but I dont like their interiors(they look like circus seats because of the colors) any ideas or companies

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Ya your local hobby shop will have a number of different colors of paint in spray cans (I like Tamiya myself). The entire seating section on those cars is removeable, just take it out and paint it whatever color you prefer. Tan or a dull yellow would be good, or even primer gray.

Apparently Walthers is going to come out with a 1955 Empire Builder soon, similar to what they did a year or two ago with the Santa Fe Super Chief.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
BTW Great Northern used smoothside streamlined passenger cars, not the Budd-type with corrugated sides. Generally railroads that bought the corrugated cars left them in shiny stainless steel and didn't paint them (like the Burlington or Santa Fe for example.)

You could check out Con-Cor and Rivarossi passenger cars too, although I don't think Con-Cor cars have interiors.

If you're in N, Kato is going to come out with GN Empire Builder cars this year.