Great Northern

Xaniel

Hello.

Well, from time to time, I show up around here, with some doubts.

I have one more, to see if someone can help me:

Which manufacturer does this beauty in N gauge. I have seen a G scale, I've seen a H0, but I'm a N scale modeller... and I want one of these.
6-28563l.jpg

One more question, a dumb one: Does a train nowaday have a caboose at the end? If not, when did the RR companies stopped using them? It is suposed to have a caboose from the same companie that the loco is (ex. having a GN loco with a GN caboose)?

off-topic: Is everything ok around here?

Thanks for your time.

Regards.

Caboose's have been gone now for about 10 years,Good news is if your running Great Northern a fallen flag run caboose's to your hearts conten
Can't help with the 1st question afraid I'm a h.oer and perfer GN.steamers

Triplex

In the US, cabooses were not required federally after 1985, IIRC. Some states required them up to 1988. In Canada, I think it was the late 80s. In Mexico, the late 90s.

Since GN merged into BN in 1970, GN trains would have a caboose.

Yes, a caboose operating on GN territory would be GN, unless it was in a specific pool arrangement. And back then, an engine on GN rails would almost always be GN. Horsepower-hour leasing didn't start until 1986.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Too answer your first question.
I did a search at Walthers, Athearn, and Kato. Walthers does offer the GP7/9, but not in GN (What BNSF calls Heritage theme, railfans call it "pumpkin")colors. You might have to try your hand at repainting and decaling. Micro-Scale sells the decals for this scheme(#60-815)

Caboose are still used today, but not as much, or for what they were used during the time the loco you posted. Today, they are more used for back-up moves, switching, and some local regulations still require a caboose at the end of a train. Most mainline now use a EOT(End Of Train) device.

Mountain Man

I believe the EOT is called a FRED (flashing rear end device).

John

i thought that was the BUTT - Backing Up The Train - device. :mrgreen:

In Colorado, they don't use EOT's, either. the unit trains here always have two diesels pushing the end, in addition to the two in the middle and three at the head end.

Question of the day: If trains can really move one ton of cargo 142 miles on one gallon of fuel,(as advertised on television infomercial) how many gallons of fuel does it take seven diesels to move 150 coal cars from the mine in Wyoming to Colorado Springs, including all of the stops and starts due to block occuopancy ahead on the single line? Hmm.....

Xaniel

Hello.

Thank you so much for all your answers. I'm sorry not to reply earlier. Too much work.

I think I'll get one soon.

BTW, I've searching Walthers On-line to get a Southern Pacific Caboose... Perhaps I'm blind or something, but I couldn't find one. How makes such a thing?

Thanks again.