Great Layout!!!!

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Casey Jones, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Casey Jones

Casey Jones New Member

I don't know how of you read N-Scale magazine, but the current issue (July-Aug.) has fantastic layout built on a door. It's even featured on the cover.
    It's the L&N Cumberland Valley Divison. It's one of the nicest layouts I've seen on a door.
    Since I'm about ready to start a new layout and I don't have much room, this article sort of jumped right out at me. The only thing I can think of that would improve this layout is to move it into my apartment!!!!![​IMG]
  2. Sounds interesting Casey Jones.....[​IMG]
    Guess I need to pick up a copy & see.
    Good luck with your layout...[​IMG]
  3. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Door Layout

I'm just getting back into N scale myself after a lot of years away and I used a door for my layout. Thanks for the tip on the magazine - I'll check it out. I did find by using a door that it was light weight and required little modification. I had to cut mine to fit into the space I wanted and found that when you cut off one end (and the solid wood that gives the whole door rigidity) you can replace that end and give back it's strength by gluing in a yard stick or two (cut to length). You can usually get one for free from a hardware store and they fit perfectly into a standard interior door.

The only problem I've found with using a door was where to hide the switch and power wires. But I'm working on that....
  4. Casey Jones

Casey Jones New Member

Hi Herc,

I was able to run all my wires between the cores of the door by doing some "Fishing" with an aluminum yard stick and a coat hanger.
    I did not want to have any wires hanging below the layout.
    On my new layout I'm going to frame a 2" piece of pink foam with masonite and use 1"x4"s to crossbrace the foam and provide a place to run my wires.
    This will be lightweight and yet be sturdy enough to support the layout.
  5. sidneylopsides

sidneylopsides New Member

How do the trains stay on the door? Strong magnets? :p
  6. zedob

zedob Member

It's the opposite of Mag-Lev. Magna-Trak.:thumb:

MRR did an April Fool's joke, where they stuck a layout on the ceiling. It caught me off guard. I was thinking "why in the world would anyone want a layout on the ceiling" then I realized what month it was. Doh...

There was an HO scale car race set that used magnets to let the cars drive up vertical road sections, but I was never into HO cars, so I don't know how well the ssytem worked or if they still offer it.
  7. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

The next issue of MR had a humorous letter to the editor from a modeler who complained that, although putting a layout on a door was a space saving device, he couldn't keep trains on he was thinking of pulling the door off its frame and setting it horizontal on a pair of saw horses! :)
  8. zedob

zedob Member

What a great comeback.