great knife set

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by bazookie, Dec 13, 2006.

1. bazookie

bazookie Member

haha thanks for the great stories/replys. so are these knives what you call, exacto knives?:roll:
  2. shrike

shrike Guest

I too can add a knife rolling off the table story. Remember the lecture/scalpel scene from Young Frankenstein?
    I've come to really like Exacto's 2000 series knife. It has a moulded rubber shell with a raised rib to keep it from rolling too far.
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

bazookie............. x-acto is a brand that has come to be synonymous for what it Q-tip or Band-aid............or Coke in the south.

It's an american thing I guess. They are really called Hobby/Craft Knives.
  4. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Baron FronkonsteenĀ“s Lecture

Yes, shrike,

I remember that wonderful scene from Young Frankenstein - the lecturing baron got a little too exited while answering his curious students and jammed the scalpel in his right thigh and then tried to look as if nothing had happened.
    Great movie - I take it out of the DVD cupboard every once in a while and have a good laugh. I like the black & white photography in this film, which was very true to the original classic with the deep shadows and sombre, dark atmosphere.

Bengt :grin: :grin:
  5. shrike

shrike Guest

I wasn't lecturing, but I did have the knife sticking straight out of my leg. I even did the "grap the scalpel, let go, grab the scalpel again" routine.
    The surprise, and the Gene Wilder image popping into my head kept it from hurting right away.

Sharp blade, little scar, good story.

I did a "Wound Medal" image once before for the parts bin, but I think it got lost in the last changover

Attached Files:

6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That's pretty cool looking Shrike. I hope I never earn one!

I'm no stranger to stitches or cuts but I don't want to get one modeling.
    I was in a car accident in 87. I lost 9 teeth and got somewhere near 300 stitches in my face.
    I'm lucky to be here and needless to say, I don't want any more stitches! :twisted:

When you first mentioned your accident, I wrapped the non-business end of my knife in scotch tape. No more rolling!
    I don't know why I didn't think of it when I had my close call, guess I was too busy being glad I didn't get stabbed.

You can't be too careful with these babies.