great knife set

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by bazookie, Dec 13, 2006.

1. bazookie

bazookie Member

hey guys.. i bought this really good set of scalpel type knives from a dollar store the other day. it was 3 handle sizes (big ass screw driver style, medium and fine pen style). there is also a large variety of interchangable blades to attach. on of them is a flat blade. this blade, whilst i don't know the real purpose, does not cut. when i tried it on a scrap peice of paper, i found that it is a EXCELLENT scoring tool. i haven't tried all the blades but what are the differences between the shapes of the blade? :???: also, what am i supposed to use the screwdriver handle for?

2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

What you have there is a variety kit, hence the light, med, and heavy duty handles. The majority of the blades in this kit are for carving wood, hence the big a** screw driver handle. It is best/safest for removing hunks of wood with a large U or V shaped blade.
    The flat blade is most likely for chiseling or scraping.

3. bazookie

bazookie Member

oh snap.... it's still a good set tho right? and on the packet it says cutting, trimming etc. of plastic, paper, fabric and wood :(

btw what happend to my picture? it's not showing
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

hmmmm, that's wierd. I was just looking at your picture, wondering what you were talking about and it disappeared right before my eyes!

Anyway, yes, that is a good set. It will come in handy for many more things than just paper modeling too. I used to have one almost identical to it and I loved it. Of course, that was when I enjoyed carving wood and before I discovered paper models.

Normally, for paper modeling all you will really need is the small or medium handle and a no.11 blade or rather, many no.11 blades.:grin:

5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

And cheaper by the hundred!

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ditto from me on those too!

And STAY AWAY from stainless............. ain't worth the cost.......... in my very humble opinion:grin:
  8. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

The "screwdriver-like" handle will take a razor saw blade.

And vote me with John on the stainless steel. They do not take, and will not hold, an edge worth a darn!
  9. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Excel Knife Blades

cgutzmer, Russel and Bowdenja,

Thanks for the tip about Excel knife blades - I think I´ll go down that road too for my X-acto knives, and save some dow! It sounds really interesting that they are sharper, too - sometimes my scalpels are a bit brittle and flimsy for really thick cardboard.

Bengt :grin:
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

11. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I got one of those once, there is a plastic bit that holds the blades in on each one, all of which break easily.
  12. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Excel Knife Blades

Thanks for the tip, Russel!

That is a very good price for 100 knife blades. Furthermore, if you sharpen them on a sharpening stone, such a stock will probably last several years.

I´ll try to get the Excel blades over here in Sweden first - I have a very good artist´s/craft shop in Stockholm - I can perhaps oredr them here.
    If I can´t find them, I´ll definately order from Micro-Mark.

Bengt :grin:
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Your welcome Bengt!
    But here's a better one!
    Following is a quote from a post on Google Groups Papermodels II Forum, posted this morning by Mike Hungerford.

I think this is the way I am going to go as it appears to be the best deal I have seen so far, only $14 per 100.

14. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

Don't just arbitrarily knock stainless steel. There is stainless and there is stainless!!!

My favorite kitchen knife is a knife-grade stainless from Chicago Cutlery. Holds an edge forever and is the easiest to sharpen large knife I've ever owned. But my little mini-Swiss army knife has a stainless cutting blade that CANNOT be sharpened. It makes a good letter opener. (What is neat, however is the tiny pair of scissors and the toothpick!):grin:

As for Exacto vs. Excel: I use # 11 Exacto blades in the #1 and #2 handles and Excel #2 blades (overgrown #11s) in the "screwdriver-style handle. Why? I have about 50 #11s from a pack of 100 I bought 8 or 10 years ago (in Office Depot!) and I can get the #S at the local craft store. And both of them are made of stainless steel. I wish I could get carbon steel #S so I could resharpen them to a really sharp edge, but I'm not going to talk about sharpening blades!!!:roll:

A SAFETY TIP FOR ALL YOU USE EXACTO-STYLE KNIVES: Tape something to the back end of the handle so the knife can't roll off the table and stab you in the leg, requiring a trip to the ER and needing stitches, like happened to me.

15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Shudder That's some excellent advice Bob!
    That's what happened to me last week, the rolling knife part. Luckily, I did not get stabbed. I was barefoot too and the knife stuck in the floor about one inch from my foot. It was stuck in the floor pretty good too so I am real happy it didn't stick me!

16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yeah I agree.........seems like they would have made them from octagonal stock, but I guess round stock is cheaper!

I got a deal on ebay for what I thought were regular old #11 X-acto handles......... when they came in they were for those big blades, I don't know the number.

Anyway, they came with a bunch of blades so I gave them a try. I cut much better with them, I'm guessing the larger thicker blades don't deflect from the pressure (yeah I now you ain't suppossed to press hard) I put on them, and stay sharper longer.

For what it's worth if you get a chance give the bigger blades a try, you just might like them too!

P.S. Gotta look up that number, I'm finally getting close to needing some more blades:grin:
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Oh I forgot............. Bob I'm one of the biggest fans of GOOD stainless....... most of my pistols are stainless:grin: ......... but I have had no luck with any x-acto style blades for my holders. The blades are brittle and like you said ain't sharp enough for cutting details in paper, but can split open a letter.

18. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Same happened to me, except I didn't go to the ER. I can't even remember how many times it just barely missed my foot.
  19. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Rolling X-acto Knives and Safety Tips

Bob and Russel,

Those are pretty scary stories. Here´s another one that I can share with you (I might have told it before, I don´t remember):
    I was working at an advertising agency in Stockholm in the pre-'desktop punishing' days of the 70s, when the graphic originals for the ads were made with scaleable copy machines, scissors, scalpels and rubber glue. I was cutting some really thick card board, which we used to mount the ads for the printers. I had to press the flat (Gilette) scalpel very hard to get through the dense cardboard and when I was about to pass my hand the last time the scalpel suddenly got stuck in the plastic ruler, it got 'off track' so to speak and the cut proceeded right across the four fingers of my left hand. Before I knew what had happened, four very thin fountains of blood spurted up over the finished ad.
    It hurt pretty bad and I never liked the sight of blood so my knees went jelly beans and I sunk to the floor. But before I hit the floor, some of my work buddies picked me up and one of them automatically reached for one of the wall-mounted 'rescue kits' with the red cross on it, which was stacked with band aids and bandages in all sizes. They all laughed and joked around because this happened all the time. However, these cuts were unusually deep because of the hard pressure I put on the scalpel and I had to go see a doctor, who gave me anastesia and neatly stiched up the nasty cuts in my fingers. Afterwards, I had the rest of the day off, doctor´s orders. Back home much too early, I had a large Scotch and went fast asleep.

I can recommend using a large drinking glass for the knives - in this way, they stay put when not in use, they become easier to identify and easier to reach. When the kids are at home or near my modelling table, I always put corks on the bare blade of the knives which don´t have the reatractable blades (Swann & Morton´s knives do).

All the best,
    Bengt :roll:
  20. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I too know the dangers of fresh Exacto blades. Yes I have had them "STAND At ATTENTION" after falling from the table. At least they were only stuck in the wood floor and not me!!
    I have an Ace Hardware store version of the standard size that has a 'Hex-nut' tightener at the back of the handle. it won't roll away. For regular ones. I take Foam pencil grips, cut a flat surface on it then slide onto the knife. Makes for a more comfortable grip, And helps stop rolling. You might want to try this!