Great Ideas come in 3 RAIL!!!!!!!! LIONEL HE

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Yes I freely admit I’m a train nut as opposed to a stuffy old shirt. That translates into I love all trains and I am more likely to run non-prototype trains. Therefore I am looking forward to the HOGWARTS EXPRESS from Lionel. If book sales have been outstanding I can only think this set will set new records for LIONEL.

Word on the street is that Lionel has done their homework and this set looks fantastic. The coaches are said to be excellent and very accurate. The engine received high marks while only in the mock up stage. One dealer that was able to place his hands on the mock up described the weight and detail as very nice.

It is projected that this set will outsell the Polar Express set that came out a few years back. The recommendation is to PRE-ORDER with a dealer ASAP. Failure to do so might result in paying 2 and ½ times the mrsp or even more.

[FONT=&quot]Isn’t three rail great you have the freedom to model as you want even if it is the Harry Potter Train?[/FONT]
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

My biggest concern with something like this would be a repeat of the Acela fiasco. They've got a $1,500 train set and no replacement parts if something breaks! :eek:
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:) It will go in the low $200 range. Truth be told every mfg has had problems with parts. I don't know why the Acela has taken such a rap. I only know two people who have it and they haven't had any problems. Personaly I think the squeaky wheel gets all the press in those cases.
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

There are some people who just look for any opportunity at all to trash Lionel, or MTH, or whatever. It's like the worst Ford vs. Chevy or Apple vs. Microsoft (or in the old days, Apple vs. IBM) wars I've ever seen.

Parts availability is an issue for all of them now that the trains are made in China, margins are relatively low, and none of the companies have much money in the bank. The paradox is that parts availability is much better for the low-end sets than for the high-roller stuff, because they know they'll sell a large number of the low-end stuff. The market for $1,500 locomotives isn't very big, and it isn't growing.
  5. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Trashing Lionel is not my intent at all.
    I think it's cool that they are coming up with ideas to get people back into the hobby.
    I'm just saying, if they sell as many of these sets as they think they will, they had probably better be ready with some backup.

I've read of one incident where someone bought a new Acela and a part broke. He was told by Lionel that no replacement parts were available. Just seems kind of silly to spend that much money on something and not be able to get it fixed when something goes wrong. Granted, the HE set may only cost $200 but for some people that's a good chunk of change to be dropping on a toy. If it malfunctioned and couldn't be fixed, I'd be plenty upset.
  6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I would give my right hand if the kids would be happy with a $200 toy. The problem is at their age most things run well over the $200 mark. Just a fact of life the things kids like today are expensive but then again between my wife and I we use about $100 of gas a week just to get to work. Things were so much better when they were younger and the card board box made a great toy.

I once waited six months for a key part for a John Deere tractor. I wasn't happy but then again this part was made somewhere in the Far East.

You may be a traitor ( dropping O for the N stuff) ;) :) :) but I knew you were not jumping on Lionel. Now go out and get that little girl a HE set. :)