Great Find!

guppyman

While at Garden Ridge the other day- I was searching through the clearance section (a usual habit of mine).... I found an HO train set (Bachmann) marked "Does not work" and priced at $8.

So I bought it.... I don't model HO and had no clue what may be wrong, but figured I could salvage stuff from the set... I liked the price.

When I got home, I opened the box to find one boxcar missing the underframe, and the caboose was missing one axle. I hooked up the track and the engine runs fine. I pulled an axle from my junk box and the caboose rolls great....

My 5 year old daughter loves my trains (N scale), but really likes the bigger ones.... Guess what she'll be getting Christmas morning this year! I figure she can run her $8 train as fast as she wants.... Tear it up.... Try weathering or painting.... Whatever she wants to do with it.

Don't forget to check those clearance racks folks.... Ya never know what may be hiding back in the piles of junk!

jsolie

I found a Bachmann HO set on serious clearance at Wally World a few years ago, and bought it in a moment of weakness as I model N scale.

It turns out this was a good thing for my boys. It gave them something they could practice setting on the track and learning how to be careful with the more expensive stuff. They destroyed a couple of the cars right away, and managed to ding up the locomotive a little bit, but it still runs.

I have an oval track set up for it in a little niche, and they enjoy running that little 0-6-0. :) Now they want to weather the remaining cars and the locomotive. :rolleyes:

-- John

fifer

Deals

About 5-6 years ago I went into a McFrugals store here and in searching the toys , I looked up on a top rack to see 3 Lionel Crayola Sets and asked to get one down.
When it was retrieved it was marked $25.00, I bought one and should have bought all three as they are going for around $140.00 the last I looked.
My daughter is too old to want a train set but it is still in the box in a closet waiting for a grand baby someday.
I truely hope she loves it Guppy!!!!
Mike

:thumb:

brakie

One of the things I always check is the bargain bin and the used box(shelf really) and have found some really great deals..At Wally World I picked up a cordless Dremel tool for $5.00.The package was torn and was taped up .It was in a clearance sale tool bin..

F

Fred_M

Last year after Chrisrtmas Hobby Lobby had a 1/2 price sale on ALL train stuff including Woodland Scenics products which I bought a ton of. I'll visit again this year checkbook in hand. Got my eye on some of their LPBs and miniscenes. DASH

guppyman

Here she is- showing me how slow she can make it run...

She loved it! She asked me to build her a table for it to go in her room. I figure it's a good time to teach her how to make some scenery (and a good excuse to make some buildings in HO).

Merry Christmas everyone!

acf.sized.jpg