Great Architectural Cardmodelling Design

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by J.L., Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.L.

J.L. Member

It is my opinion that the ERKOtyp publishers from the Czech Republic, have greatly improved the design of architectural models. The weight of the paper is very light and workable. Printing is superb. But what impresses me is the improved method of indicating folds. French and the German publishers track dash lines right across the printed surface of the model part. ERKOtyp prints a little line at each end of the intended fold with little arrowheads pointing to each other OUTSIDE the edges of the part. If it is to be a reverse fold, they print a line and a dot. You just line up your ruler with each arrowhead and score across the face of the printed part. The result is an almost invisible line with a reverse fold and a very clean break line with a fold away from you. When the incised cut is painted, the cut is almost invisible. There isn't a row of black stitches tracking across the part.

Richard Vykovsky uses this folding method to great success with models such as Rozmberk Castle. (Below)

Hopefully, with the surge of interest in cardmodelling, international publishers will embrace this now method.

2. Renaud

Renaud Member

fold lines

It is a long time since I am thinking that this would be the only suitable way to achieve a clean work. People worry about dotted lines only from time to time: I thought I was an alien and this made me angry, until now. Are other people sharing this opinion here?
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

No, I agree with you completely. That and black lines over everything. I suppose this results in a certain 'style', but realistic? No way....

Tim P
  4. bholderman

bholderman Member

Great feedback. I finally managed to get some work done on my lighthouse, in which Ill post something a bit later today. But I was thinking that I might get a hold of a more advance paper model to better understand things and figure out my mistakes.

5. J.L.

J.L. Member

Nice to hear from you. I always enjoy your perceptive observations and kind comments. I understand you are into naval vessels. Felt the bug to go for an architectural model?
  6. bholderman

bholderman Member

Sorry, Ive been away for a few days. Ive been struglling with time more than anything as of late. For some reason, my kids new school schedule has wreaked havoc on available time. Im normally exhausted by the time I finally get them to bed.

In lieu of that, my lighthouse build has stalled. Ive gotten the windows and front door complete, even though they didnt turn out as well as I had hoped. But the walls are up and I am working on the roof, perhaps I can manage that this very night with pics, we'll see.

7. crispa04

crispa04 New Member

Do anyone know where i can find the intructions du PONT NEUF de "L'instant durable"?
    Sorry if this is not the correct place to put this post, but this is my first time in a forum.
  8. bf109

bf109 Member

welcome to the forum :)

its says its delivered with the instrucions so you might want to contact "L'instant durable if they got a copy,

next time its better to start a new thread ,then opening up an old one , how to's in the faq or contact an admin there very friendly ... drool :)

greetings bf109
  9. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

The model looks quite impressive. I love castles. The mortar lines are a bit dark though. One thing with mortar is that you are actually seeing shadow not the mortar itself. Unless it's been colored that way when built. A possibility but not likely. So given that the mortar is shadow you have to treat it as such. The blocks would have a highlight on the top and a shadow on the bottom. In the case of a Castle. They perhaps wouldn't even have mortar they would build wall against wall of cut stone. So...

Blocks would have all the shadow and highlight on them (no mortar at all perhaps)
    Blocks would be less uniform as they are being cut expertly but not mechanically.
    Blocks would be of varying types of rock as they would quarry them but perhaps not all from the same location. As a fortress such construction would be done as discretely as possible. Any brake in the supply would put the construction and those building it in danger so they would not put all their eggs in one basket you could say.

This would mean to the model a change in the wall texture to reflect construction techniques of the time. Then after the wall is completed a bit of weathering would be quite an excellent add on. Some moss or vines as was common in that era and you would have a splendid likeness. If not to difficulty a series of vines could be cut from a separate piece of card to give the vines a shadow. With a wall of that size details will make it look so much more like a model and less like wall paper in a way. You can still tile the pattern but if broken people will want to inspect it close up. As a cardboard model the details are printed for the most part and you have tremendous control over that more then you would if say building it out of plastic. So taking advantage of that is never a bad idea...

Great looking structure but more details would make this model rock..
  10. Mr Marbles

Mr Marbles New Member

A very impressive model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.