Grain Elevator Diorama

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I have finally decided to try to get some of the pile of structures kits off the workbench. For a while now they have been teetering on the verge of triggering a kit box avalanche. I decided that I will build the structures and make small bases or dioramas to go with them. This way I can do some quick scenery and not just add them to the self orphan pile.

The first kit that I pulled out is the Walthers Farmers Cooperative Grain Elevator.

I quickly assembled the three buildings that are part of the kit.

aaa.jpg

aab.jpg

aac.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
First I airbrushed the buildings and other parts with an undercoat using Apple Barrel Dolphin Gray thinned 1:1 with blue windshield wiper fluid.

aad.jpg

aae.jpg

aaf.jpg

Since I want to have a paint peeling effect I will airbrush the underlying wood color on the buildings.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Oh, this is going to be good! Elevators are a classic RR scene. I really like your collection of covered hoppers too! Do you happen to have a pink Klemme Coop in the mix?
Ralph

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks guys! :rolleyes:

Ralph said:
I really like your collection of covered hoppers too! Do you happen to have a pink Klemme Coop in the mix?
Ralph

You mean like this? :D

abu.jpg

This is a MDC/Roundhouse model. I also have an Athearn RTR one that is still in the box. I just reserved a couple from Intermountain's upcoming run. I think they are doing 12 numbers but I figured I'd start with two. :D

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
For the wood color I first airbrushed a coat of Folk Art Raw Umber thinned 1:1 with blue windshield washer fluid. To my horror I ran out of Raw Umber before I could do a second coat. So for the second coat I used Folk Art Burnt Umber.

aag.jpg

aah.jpg

aai.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
To achieve the painting peeling effect I use rubber cement. I first brush on the rubber cement in places where I want the paint to peel.

aaj.jpg

aak.jpg

aal.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
aam.jpg

aan.jpg

Once the rubber cement dries I will paint the final color. After the final coat dries I will take an eraser and rub off the paint in those areas. If all works I will have peeling paint.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
zedob said:
Sure footed basketball player?

Oh that is one of the wife's many baton twirling trophies! She has so many they are stuffed all over the house and basement. :D

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Now I painted the final color for the buildings. I used Apple Barrel Red Apple. The undercoat of Raw Umber and Burnt Umber gave the red a darker and little uneven coloring which I thought looks better than the unpainted red plastic.

aaq.jpg

aar.jpg

aas.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Next I use the gray end of a gray and white eraser and gently rub over the spots where I painted over the rubber cement.

Here is how the grain elevator building came out. Since the building is so tall I had to take a couple photos of each side. I don’t know what the white dots are. They’re not there on structure. I am guessing they are a reflection.

aat.jpg

aau.jpg

aav.jpg

aaw.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Lastly here is the freight house or warehouse building
abb.jpg

abc.jpg

abd.jpg

abe.jpg

Now everything is ready to be sealed and the window glazing and roofs installed.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I got the window glazing and the roofs installed on the buildings. And in the case of the freight house building the base.

abi.jpg

abj.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Now it is time to get the diorama base ready. First is a quick general layout of the buildings:

abo.jpg

Coming up will be laying the foam road bed.