Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by 1GUNRUNNER, Apr 19, 2007.

1. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

I am using On30 and at 8 or 9 % I can only pull 5 ounces with my porter and 11 ounces up the hill with my shay. At 17% even the locos wouldnot make it. Try making a funicular [did I spell that right?] RR. It uses gears on the track. to get up a hill.
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

If you are set on the 5 foot separation, and your grade is going to be "off-scene" (out of sight?) then I agree with Jeffery that your best bet is a helix.

If it is visible, remember that the prototype would have been using similar trackage to your calculated 17 switchbacks (maybe not quite so many, since logging lines would use up to 10%). After all, you are trying to climb about 450 vertical feet.

For comparison, a "regular" line might allow 130 feet rise per mile (~2.5%), so would need about 3.5 miles to make the climb. That's over 200 feet of scale track in HO.

3. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Except it would take trains forever to traverse that helix. With the short trains typical of steam logging lines, a train elevator sounds like it might be a good option here.

1GUNRUNNER New Member

Guys I am jumping ship to a bigger guage. I have a 3 1/4" railbed to lay my ties on. For my application HO is just too small. What guage fits that criteria?
  5. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Ties are typically 9' long. That means Gauge 1 (1/32) has ties 3-3/8" long - too big. O (1/48 ) will have ties 2-1/4" long.