Grade crossing bell/gates/flasher detection

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by espee, Apr 14, 2006.

1. espee

espee New Member

I'm looking for a grade crossing detection unit which will activate lights, bell and gates. I had a very old unit made by Roanoke Electronics which worked great but they have been out of business for years. Any suggestions. Optical detection would be great.
  2. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I did have an infared detector system I built. It was based loosely on an article in MR. I added a delay curciut that kept the gates down for a short time in case the train was shorter than the distance between the 2 detectors.
    This looks like a good system.
  3. viperman

viperman Active Member

Thats a really cool idea. Not so sureI'd actually be able to make that circuit board myself though
  4. look under ho scale thred and topic infered grade crossings there was some talk about it there if that helps
  5. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Go to and then click on advanced search. Then type in grade crossing detection unit into the keywords box.:)
  6. 3-track crossing protection

Espee, :wave: I recently installed a 3 track crossing protection system made with Circuitry by " Logic Rails Technologies " . It operates absolutely prototypical. The people at Logic Rail were a great help by designing the photo cell schematics to produce proper operation for my situation which was quite involved. Three tracks diverging to two tracks, a double crossover, then another diverging track. It works great ! One circuit runs about $ 40 and includes the photocells needed to protect a single track ! You need to provide your own gates or flashers of which many are available. I even included a sound (bell) module which is triggered by their ( GCP )circuitry. I've got several dollars invested in the 3-track Protection Setup but Alas, Retired and Luckily I can finally afford to make these improvements to my long-time layout ! Let me know if I can be of further assistance ! Joe :thumb:
  7. espee

espee New Member

Many thanks to all of you. Straight-track seems to have the best solution but at $40 for the detection unit and another $30 for the bell circuit plus flasher lights, crossing gates and gate actuation mechanism I'm probably looking at well over $100 per grade crossing. With the plan to have several protected crossings it gets cost prohibitive $400 for 3 crossings. I was hoping someone would make something like the old Roanoke system......detection, drivers and bell circuit for about $25.....and that was 20 years ago....long before todays great integrated circuit technology. Walthers has a Train-Tronics unit that might work but I can't find much about it and I don't believe they have a website. I guess I'll have to keep looking.
  8. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

9. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Thanks for that link Andy. I think you mean "inexpensive" don't you? :D Those prices seem reasonable. :thumb:
  10. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

I was half asleep EZdays when I wrote that!:rolleyes: I hope it works out well. And he is CHEAP!:thumb: