Grade crossing accident

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I just got back from a short vacation to upstate NY and Toronto, while in NY I stayed at a B&B in Filver Springs. The old Erie main runs though here, the B&B doesn't mention it is across the street. Funny, the owner told us to close the windows and run the ac so the trains wouldn't be so loud. I told him I was looking forward to it! He then told me of a grade crossing accident that had happened a few days earlier, a guy in a pickup got smacked and killed, while talking on his cellphone. I was told he was talking to his brother, who heard a loud crash then silence. That had to be an awful feeling! That night I heard 4 trains go by, they blew for a grade crosing while passing by, it was loud! Funny too, I had dreams I could have sworn were real, only to realize that the RS3 I thought I had seen running light was a dream. I also heard a local switching out some cars at the Morton salt plant. A mainline train passed by while it held the siding. It was 4 in the morning and I was close to getting dressed and going to watch! Next morning I did walk over and saw the cut of boxcars and hoppers spotter earlier, but was puzzled by the SD70M sitting on one of the mains. Actually, I realized that NS is using just one main, the other ex main was not ballasted as recently. The SD40M was on that track, and then I realized it was the unit invloved in the accident. Not much damage, considering the lethal impact.

Stay off the phone while driving guys!

Attachments

• proto22a.jpg
    proto22a.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 19

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
sounds like a cool B&B,good food,room service and railfanning all in one day! sounds like you had a good time!

but that story was rather sad though.its a shame somebody can lose there life all for talking on a cell phone...when will people learn to PAY ATTENTION...THE CROSSING LIGHTS ARE THERE FOR A REASON!!! oh well,theyll have to learn on there own or have crossing gates that go down lightning fast....--josh

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
when will people learn to PAY ATTENTION..

To those of you who do not believe in evolution, my appologies......
"We" have become the only life form on this world that routinely goes about totally ignorant of our surroundings. The guy in the pickup, talking on his cell phone, while driving in front of a moving train......deserves a "Darwin award". The next time you are leaving a store, stop and watch people walk out, and without looking, walk into the parking lot, as if there were no moving vehicles.....every so often, splat!
Then, there are the kids, "tunes" in their ears, cutting across the tracks on the way to school....with the music volume 80db above the level of pain, they never hear the warning blast of the loco's horn.
Sometimes, we get what we ask for.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
We just had a kid here in Cincinnati get wacked by a train at a grade crossing. He waited till the first train passed and then walked out onto the tracks. Unfortunately, it was double track, and there was a train coming on the second track. He ignored the horn as he thought it was the first train and didn't bother to look as he was sending a text message.

Miraculously, he survived after what was reported as a 50' flight. The crossing gates were fully functional, he just didn't bother to wait for them to go up.

Sumpter, I think that Darwin award is going to go to a local copper thief whom attempted to steal some copper from a substation transformer...he was dead before his charred body met the ground.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
On YouTube there is a post by a gentleman who recorded something off of his TV- there was someone filming a scene at a station in Canada. The people heard the train horn blowing but still ran across the tracks.

The video then shows a father and son (I suppose) running accross the tracks without looking and just before the train hits them, the video stops- the train looked like it was going at least 40mph! Pity they didn't say if they (the people) managed to stop in time.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Sumpter, I think that Darwin award is going to go to a local copper thief whom attempted to steal some copper from a substation transformer...he was dead before his charred body met the ground.
Awww, and he was going to use the money from the sale of the copper to pay off his charge card. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Appearances to the contrary, I don't celebrate the death of anyone, even those whose lack of attention, or awareness, is the cause. I do, however believe that ( political content pre-deleted ) In the end, our own safety is our own responsibility. I started using the seatbelt that came with my '65 Dodge Dart, becuase it had a vinyl bench seat in front, and I wanted to stay behind the steering wheel when I drove around a corner!
The advice,"keep your eyes and ears open, and your mouth closed" is still not wrongfully given.

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
On YouTube there is a post by a gentleman who recorded something off of his TV- there was someone filming a scene at a station in Canada. The people heard the train horn blowing but still ran across the tracks.

The video then shows a father and son (I suppose) running accross the tracks without looking and just before the train hits them, the video stops- the train looked like it was going at least 40mph! Pity they didn't say if they (the people) managed to stop in time.

they didnt stop in time