grade climb

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by don pedro, Dec 20, 2006.

1. don pedro

don pedro New Member

I would like to run my lionel mohawk l2, pulling about 6 rolling stock over my entrance door to my train room. thus eliminating any "duck under" or swingin gate. I'm using 072 track and the approach wil be about 16 feet and descent about 12 feet. if not feaseable, any suggestions? note; my bench work will be attached to all walls.

don pedro
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

The only way I could see that possibly working is by going clear around the room in a spiral. That much hight difference would be too much for a straight shot.
  3. don pedro

don pedro New Member

thanks, my thought was to approach from the work bench which will be about 40" off the floor and gradually climb about 44". as previously mentioned theres about 16' of launch room for climbing and assumed the 12 foot descent would work out....also I hope to incorporate a mountain theme on the "up & down".
  4. Cannonball

Ok.... I misread it and thought you were climbing the 16' [/]up[/u].
    44" is a little over 3.5' rise. It should still make it though.
  5. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

Sorry, a 5% grade is about the steepest you can go and still pull a short train. 5% means 5 inches up for every 100" of track. To go up 44" will require 880" or 73.5 ft - and the same distance to come back down again. Only a helix is going to generate that kind of rise in a reasonable space. With a 12ft run, you can go up about 7 inches, not 44.
  6. Cannonball

Dang.... Somebody needs to start building stronger engines!
  7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

If you are willing, start higher, and climb a bit to make a "nod-under". E.g. start at 54" (4'6") and go up another 6" to five feet. Then you only have to stoop to get under, rather than bend in half...!

This may mean that you will have to use a stool when working on the layout, and you obviously won't be able to operate it from a chair, but it will avoid having to crawl into the room.

8. don pedro

don pedro New Member

thanks, i'll measure & see if it works...
  9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

its not that most trains dont have the power, its that they dont have the traction on steep grades.
  10. Geno

Geno Member

Is your train room 12 x 16 ? I would put some peninsulas near the door on either side and use a folded dogbone- style track plan- then you wouldn't need that hellacious grade.

11. pooka2hot4u

pooka2hot4u Member

hhmmm heres a little idea to give your locos more traction to be able to climb really steep grades, sort of how roller coasters do it.
    attach a toothed gear of some sort to the center of one or more axles on the loco and make a little toothed strip down the middle of the track on steep grades which the gear can lock into. that way the gear basically lock the train tot he track so it gets more traction, and the gear can be small enough so that it wont catch on ties on regular track but only in places where you have the raised teeth in the middle of the track