GPM's Ju-87 D-3

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Ron, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Ron

Ron Member

Things have been nuts around here lately with little time to build but I did manage to stick a few pieces together. Ususally, I'll make the joining strips, attach them to the pieces, form them, glue the seams and then glue the two completed segments together. In this case it didn't work like I expected. Maybe this is where butt joining 2 segments together has some merit but I remain pig-headed :) Anyways, after a few tries, the section right after the cockpit was done normally with the strips etc . The tail section was shaped
    but not joined together right away. Instead, it was wrapped and glued bit by bit until the 2 cut edges met and formed the seam. It's hard to describe but I think I defeated the evil butt joint! The internal former was then slid into place and so far, so good. Damn I need a good solid day to build!

Anyways, the cockpit assembly is next and promises to be a challenge.
  2. Swinger

Swinger Member

Great job, Ron. It's so clean. :)

About the printing... I briefly looked into the model in a shop, but I found the print a bit blurry, not too precise... I don't know if it was deliberate. Probably yes, but I didn't like it anyway. What do you think about it?

Another thing that is probably spoilt is that the exhaust fumes aren't drawn on the parts around the exhaust pipes.

However, in general I think that the model will look pretty good, especially built by Ron. :) It would look great with my winter Ju 88, don't you think? :)

As for the swastika, The Ju 87 isn't the only GPM's model without it. The new Schleswig-Holstein hasn't got it, too... Blehhhh.
  3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

At my day job ( ) we sometimes get dry transfers made especially for prototype projects, logos, etc. I'll find out how much they cost to get done. These types of transfers ( like the old Letraset rub-down ones ) would be much easier to apply to paper models than waterslide decals mentioned on one of the other threads.

Tim P
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Swinger, you mention the exhaust staining on the Stuka, I agree missing it on one panel, then having it on the next looks a bit odd! But as a general point, what do you ( and anyone else) prefer, no weathering at all, just a bit, lots, or clean so you can add your own with pastel chalks, airbrush etc.? The reason I ask is that I am working up some recolourings right now, and have spent some time on the weathering. I think they will look OK, but if people would rather see a clean, factor-fresh paint job, I'll do them that way instead!

Tim P
  5. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I am currently building this model. I see I am a little ahead of you on the build. When I got to the tail, I scanned the swastika from the Halinski FW-190 and printed it on the thinnest paper I could find, and then I cut it out and applied it to the tail. My reference books on the Stuka show many different sizes and several different locations on the tail of the swastika. I blew it up until it looked like the same size as one of the pictures in my book. (I used the panel lines as reference) It looks really good; you have to look really close to tell that it is glued on instead of printed.
  6. mark_h

mark_h Member

ron as useal axelent work
  7. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

GPM JU-87 Stuka

I am posting additional pictures of progress on my Stuka. I spent all last night working on the canopy. The first one shows overall progress, and the second photo is a close up of the canopy parts. I am looking forward to completing this model; I should be done this weekend. The canopy is very tricky to build, and I had to do a lot of trimming of parts to get the frame to fit the Gomix canopy. And there is still a lot of glue cleanup to do as well.
  8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Looking good, pashlispaht

Can't wait for the final photo
  9. Falcon

Falcon Member

Well,this bird looks really cool can't wait to see the finished one!
  10. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

More progress on the GPM Stuka

Well, after a long day's work, here is the progress on my Stuka. I have finished the canopy, the landing gear, the exhaust, and I have started on the control surfaces on the wings. I relied heavily on several techniques for all of these parts. The first technique I utilized is using cyanoacrylate to reinforce very small parts; such as the tailwheel frame and the machine gun sights. For structural work, this technique is unbeatable. I wish I had known about this years ago.... The learning curve for this technique is quite steep though... Lots of digits stuck together and parts stuck to my cutting mat until I figured out a way to handle pieces that are being thus treated. I also made myself several punches out of brass tube of various dimensions. This works great for making very small, precise holes in pieces. Although I would like to make a more permanent steel set. Maybe someone knows where one may purchase hollow steel tube in very small diameters, or how to temper brass tube to make it harder.... I am hoping that I will finish this model tomorrow. That new Modelik IS-2 is calling my name....
  11. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

This is looking great - congratulations! - and thanks for sharing your techniques.

12. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

That is a very nice looking bird so far. I can't wait to see your finished product.

P.S. This kit is going on my "need to purchase" list 8)
  13. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Finally finished!!!

Well, it is finally done! After a month and a half of work, I have completed this model. I have posted several pictures to possibly motivate others to go and purchase this kit, and for those who already have it, to build it. I did lots of modifications to this kit during the construction. For instance, I pressed all the rivets and panel lines into the model. I also changed it from a butt-joint construction to a strip-and-former type construction. Considering the overall quality of this kit, I am surprised that GPM chose this type of construction. I also made additions for the dive brakes so they would be extended instead of retracted. I added a lot of additional bracing inside the wings and tail to stiffen these areas. I used a lot of techniques and tips that I have learned on this site. I downloaded the propeller construction tool that Tonino posted. I do not think that I will ever do another model with propellers without this tool! Well, enough rambling. Here are the pictures. Now I am going to start on the Modelik IS-2. I will keep everyone informed!
  14. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Additional photo

I guess I can only post three pictures in a post. Well, here is one additional photo that I wish to show.
  15. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Holy Stuka, Batman!!!! That's one gorgeous bird! Thanks for the final photos pashlispaht!
  16. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

That looks really amazing pashlispaht.
  17. barry

barry Active Member

Beautiful job look forward to the next writeup .

Thank you

ps any chance of a photo of the cockpit interior
  18. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Cockpit interior

Your wish is my command..... Take a look at the attached photos.
  19. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

:shock: Well after seeing those pictures I am even more amazed. I can't wait to follow the Is-2.
  20. Gil

Gil Active Member

Beautiful finish! Rivet detail is subtle but adds an amazing realness to the design. What did you use to punch the small holes with?

Best regards, Gil