GPM's Ju-87 D-3

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Ron, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Ron

Ron Member

Hi guys :)

I know you guys see this quite often but I've embarked on another journey and added another kit to the ever growing pile. I chose the D-3 version
    because of it's unique winter camouflage and it's optimal scale of 1:33. I have the older 1:24 kit by GPM but it's huge!!

Tha pages are printed on A4 with 4 packed pages of parts, a brief history in Polish and 3 pages of diagrams. The first thing that hit me hard was the beautiful printing. Many of the parts are printed with a striking 3d look to them that adds a good sense of realism.

The construction is a cross between butt-joints and joining strips. As per habit, I quickly converted it all to the joining strip method. The only things I don't appreciate about the kit are the prop spinner, which is made up of 3 cones with the tip being designed with lunes. The other is the top panel covering the engine area, as it too is made from lunes where it meets up with the prop. A little customization was in order to get rid of that but an extra seam was created. No big deal because it looks like it was supposed to be like that :)

The cockpit area is jammed with exceptional detail. It seems a shame to cover it up with a canopy. Maybe a Gomix canopy is in order where I can open it up to reveal some of the detail. I hope I can do it justice.

Some of these pics are a little bandwidth intensive so please excuse the wait.
  2. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Hello Ron

Great work!!
    I do not know myself so well with airplane construction, but what you have pointed here is simply first-class!

Show sometimes in PM
  3. lgl007

lgl007 Member

Wow Ron... excellent work... crisp and precise... love it!

Now you've done it... I'll have to go out and get a copy of this bad boy... it looks like a super model. How's the fit so far... any trouble?

4. Ron

Ron Member

Greg, The fit's great so far. I don't see any issues with this one :)

All the best

5. billmcc

billmcc Member

Did you email GPM and request an english translation of the instructions for this model? :)
  6. Ron

Ron Member

Hi Bill

Actually, I wrote them and offered to host *all* of their English instructions.
    Haven't heard back yet

7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Great work! Please keep up the close-up, high-res photos.

I have been studying the 3D effects that GPM now includes in their models. The F4U model uses similar effects whereas the TBM does not. The effect is subtle but evident between the two. I've now recreated some of these effects in Adobe Illustrator and it's fairly impressive when scaled down to the point where the detail isn't at all discernible but cumulatively still retains the desired effect. Panel lines, rivet heads, screw heads, indented panels etc. are all candidates for the effect. One other effect I've tried is shadow gradients which can be used to simulate a metallic surface. The problem with this is that it "fixes" the lighting of the model and looks contrived when the lighting differs from that position. Seems that nothing looks as good as aluminium as the real thing.

Best regards, Gil
  8. Ron

Ron Member

Now I'm curious....was the swastika removed to make the kit politically correct? I'm having a great deal of difficulty finding a winter reference with the swastika painted out. Anyone have any ideas? Tim, I know you're watching :) Might just be photoshop time....

Gil, that technique is quite amazing! Leave it to you or GPM to make use of it :) I really hope they maintain that standard as it's simply beautiful. The other thing I wanted to say is that they seem to be really researching their colors
    these days. The panel line shading is still a little overkill but still looks great as well.

9. Gil

Gil Active Member

The swastika is against the law in Germany..., problems would arise if GPM offered the model for sale containing it. A photoshop "quicky" could easily restore it on those parts which require it.

Best regards, Gil
  10. Ron

Ron Member

I kind of figured that much. It's understandable but a shame that history cannot be represented in true form.
    Just thought it strange as I've never seen GPM take those considerations.

Thanks Gil :)

11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Gil is right, the swastika is a banned image in several European countries, so it is not usually represented in products sold in the EU. Sometimes the plastic kit manufacturers get around this by breaking the image up into pieces on the decal sheet, but it still won't appear on the box art or instruction sheets.

Ref the kit, if you can scan the fin parts, it would be easy to drop a swastika on the appropriate place. Remember it is not symmetrical, you will have to do both sides of the fin with the same swastika; don't do one side then mirror it!

I have the 'official' geometry layout of the Hakenkreuz somewhere, it is not quite as straightforward as you might think, but I'll dig it out if anyone needs it.

Tim P
  12. Huey

Huey Member

I'm with you guys regarding with the swastika. The swastika is part of a symbol in some Asian culture and religion. Doesn't mean if you have swastika in your model, you are supporting the Nazi. I like my models in their true form, regardless if its a swastika or the rising sun. But don't get me wrong, I'm against it for public display (in terms of flag waving and other racist movement) and some skin heads walking around and bashing innocent people just because their of different race.
  13. Ron

Ron Member

That must be the issue then. Tim, I remember that information floating around somewhere. We used to have it posted with all the dimensions
    etc and the text was in German. Didn't my father have something to do with that? How memory starts to fail when age sets in :)

Huey, I feel the same way. Obviously some of these groups haven't learned from history. It's too bad humanity always remembers the last crappy thing that was done and latches on to it.

More to come :)

14. barry

barry Active Member

before 1938 it used to appear on Valentine cards as a love symbol. It was part of my life at the time and is now part of history no point hiding it, but the people it represented did not survive and it's long past time to accept it and move on.

It isn't the banner you worry about it's which mad b"""""r is waving it and there are still plenty of them now and still the world watches.

15. Ron

Ron Member

I found that article with the dimensions and placement specs. It's in the parts bin

16. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Ron, that's the same illustrations I was looking for. I found them just now in 'German Aircraft Markings' by Merrick, published by Ian Allen. I don't know much about Luftwaffe types and markings, but I know them's that do know, know a lot, and generally know they know a lot! Tread carefully, unless you wish to taste the wrath of 'Experten'.....

I'll stick to Brit stuff!!

Tim P

PS Build looks cracking, as usual. Great kit being put together really nicely, it will look very sinister when finished! Precisely in character!!
  17. Ron

Ron Member

Hi Tim :)

I thought we were talking about the same thing. It's amazing how we accumulate so much stuff saying " I know that's gonna come in handy some day' and it always does. I wish 'she who must be obeyed' would see it that way when it comes to more of the physical stuff I have stashed!

I got a copy of the Ju87 D-3 english instructions from GPM the other day with full blessings to post them. They're in the Parts bin. Enjoy!

No, I didn't stop working on the kit. I got conned into renovating my brother in law's 100 year old attic. The 130 degrees and 97% percent humidity in that attic has been knocking the *.* outa me. More to come soon :)

All the best

18. tino

tino Member

hi Ron,

How do you contact GPM?
    I had ask them for instructions for me 262 a some months ago and till now nothing!
    In the GPM new site there isn't any kind of contact?
    At least I don't see any.

19. billmcc

billmcc Member

Use this email address:

Also, go to the "CardModeling" forum and read the topic named "Project: Model Instructions Library".
  20. tino

tino Member

Thank you Bill.