GPM Mi-17

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by milhistory, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

First the Ship and Now the Chopper................... do not doubt your skills. The Mil is PERFECT!...........

On the doors, maybe some of those rare-earth type magnets would be what you want. Since I have this model(and been afraid to put the knife to it) I'm going to put a note on it suggesting that, so when(IF) I start on it I can try them.

This model is fantastic, I love the detailing and the interior.......... the rotors and hubs look fantastic.

Please keep posting your builds....................

2. milhistory

milhistory Member

Before I started cutting, I "read" the book a million times, afraid of the complex shapes. When I finished the tube-like fuselage, I put it up for about two months because I did not think it had a chance of ever looking good. Now I am glad I finished it because I am very pleased with the end result. There are still gaps (some major) that need to be tweaked, but overall it is worthy of a place on my shelf (if I can find a place big enough-it's huge).

3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Brad............. I probably will scan it and build it from the scans. I just can not bring myself to cut up a book..........just me, I'm crazy.

I built MM's Mil 4(?) and it was a big model, so I figured this one would be huge.

I'm going to start scanning one day, but right now there are so many downloadable models I have just not made the time.

Nobi keeps me busy, along with Kancho and Rob and Jim G (fiddlersgreen)............ so I'm very happy right now:grin:

What I really like, was that you did post your pictures and that does make me want to scan it and start. I was not going to do the insides, but after looking at yours I have changed my mind!

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......... maybe I'll drag out Moshe's (Emil's) Choctaw and give it a go again.............. see so many (good) models!

4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Just had a thought.................. what about those magnets that people use on fridges. You know the really thin ones that they glue to cards and like what Dominos puts out with their number and menu on it.

You could take a hole punch......... 1/4 inch or smaller. Punch two out and glue them on the edge of the doors in opposite side. You could even print out a color block on paper and glue it to the magnet before punching and no one would ever see them. they would hold the doors closed and be almost invisible.

5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Rare Earth Magnets

Hi Brad,

Good fortitude in finishing a difficult build. It looks great! Congrats!

You might want to look at a product sold by Radio Shack to keep the rear doors closed. They're 1/8" Rare Earth Magnets, 64-1895, Pkg. of 2. They have very strong pull and are used by many in the RC arena as door latches. Experiment with the pole head separation distance to get the right amount of "latching" force. -Gil
  6. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wowwie Wow Wow!:-o

That is a superb looking build! I'm glad you did post these photos...that small one in the Cutty Sark thread was a real teaser, but it was certainly worth the wait.

Great detail work on the interior (love the benches) and beautiful photos of an awesome build! I love the view looking at it nose one...really impressive!

Thanks for posting photos...and do post more when you can, please.

7. Bestia

Bestia New Member

Sorry colleague milhistory, I wrong speak English, but perhaps you understand from my images.

___Mi-17 underfoot:_______Mi-17 fly:_____
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your Mi-17

But your work there as pretty as a picture! ;)
    Best regards.