GPM F4-E Phantom question

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Ron, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Ron

Ron Member

Hi guys

Once again I've started another project.....Tim, we must be related somewhere :) Anyways, I was inspired by Doug's magnificent Harrier
    and other builds and decided it was time to try out something a bit more modern than I usually tackle. The GPM F4-E seemed like the way to go as it looks fairly straight forward, uses joining strips and I've seen them first hand back in the day when I was young.

Has anyone attempted this kit? The only images I've seen so far have been the ones within the kit themselves and some of the Maly equivalent.
    I'm having a bit of difficulty with the fuselage segment immediately forward of the cockpit. The front part of the fuselage makes a transition from a purely round shape to a rounded/rectangular shape. The former that fits into the end of the segment closest to the cockpit has very sharp
    folds. How far into the segment do these creases go? I realize this is a hard thing to imagine...maybe the image will help

All the best :)

2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Ron, we're all brothers and sisters here in this forum.....

Tim P :mrgreen:
  3. Maurice

Maurice Member

The idea of you being my sister does not appeal. :twisted: :D

Hope this makes sense.
    If the last segment shown is in one piece, the creases must extend from the two arrows forward to the joint that is shown by the lower arrow, and there must be four creases. They should all come together at one point on the forward edge.
    Can't see it working otherwise.

4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hmmmm. Is this area just forward of the windscreen, or does the framing sit on top of this raised section? If it is forward of the framing, I hate to say it but I don't think there should be any creases in that area, except between the nose skins and the framing. All the pics I have show this area to be completely smooth, just a transition from the circular cross-section of the radar to the more rectangular area of the cockpit, but even then it is much more round than square at this point. I have some pics to scan which show what I mean.

Tim P

PS Ron? You, my sister? No thanks. The feeling is mutual....

( I don't know, you try and be all nice, friendly and politically correct, and SOMEONE just has to make a BIG joke out of it... I won't bother again....)
  5. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

1 thing to tell u about modern aircraft...try to assemble from cockpit then go from cockpit to tail and nose is last section u must assemble because u must add weight inside nose to make it can stand

i look forward to assemble GPM's F-4 too and hope i can help u.
  6. Ron

Ron Member

Here's a pic of the former that gets inserted where the 2 arrows on the right are. As you can see, the top of the former is perfectly flat. It's that 'flatness' that I'm concerned about and how far the flatness extends into that nose segment.

wish I could explain that better :)
  7. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Ron...that piece is flat on top as it is part of the instrument panel in that area of the cockpit. The adjoining part (rearward) according to the drawing as far as I can see, is also flat. And, from having sat in the cockpit of that actual aircraft, I do recall a flater area forward of the boresight in the front cockpit. It actually had a slight curve to it. It extended forward to where the windscreen met the fuselage, with the fuselage bulging outward in a more circular fashion. However I did want to show you a photo of a similar model which I worked on two days ago. I dusted it 8v)
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Ron,
    sorry this took so long to find and scan, but it is the best pic I have that shows what I was on about.

As you can see, the only real crease is between the windscreen framing and the nose, all other surfaces are smooth. I know this is a non-gun F4, but this area was unchanged by the different nose configurations.

Hope this helps, Now I have spent a happy hour looking through all my F4 reference material, I am inspired again! Or should that read distracted...?

Tim P
  9. Ron

Ron Member

You guys are the greatest :) The advice and pics made it it easy to make a decision. Ash, that model looks great! One wouldn't think it was wood. Tim, that scan did it! Thank-you! I'm going to adjust that sharp angle on the top of the former to a little bit gentler shape. It only makes sense.

You guys are what make this place what it is :)

10. Maurice

Maurice Member

Apologies, I misread the first photo by looking for too much complexity.
    In theory the kit provides for a triangular flat extending all the way from that flat at the top of former f to the midpoint of the top of former e. As you've realised, the creases at the long sides of the triangle don't need to be at all sharp in practice .

11. Ron

Ron Member

No need for apologies Maurice :) My inept explanation of the problem
    probably left a lot of folks not knowing what I was muttering on about.
    The former/crease problem is solved thanks to the great pics you guys provided

here's a pic of the final former and a dry fit inside the fuselage
  12. Ron

Ron Member

This model is coming along great now with the exception of instructions which seem to leave a bit to trial and error. Here's a pic so you can get an idea of the size of this thing! Has anyone built this particular kit?

All the best :)