gpm b52 stratofortress is available

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by The Hermit, Dec 31, 2008.

1. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

i know from time to time people ask where they can get a copy of this kit

i was suprised to see it INSTOCK at gpm

i just ordered my copy since i have wanted one since i first saw it

the kid in the picture holding the aircraft is imply dwarfed lol

best of luck on getting yours

happy new year
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

All you need now is another building to store the finished model... lol!
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

4. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful model, BUT did you get a load of color sheets, It will take a large amount of ink, unless of course your company has a color laser and you just happen to work overtime...........
  5. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Isnt it a pre printed model?

John John
  6. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

it is a gpm preprinted model

they must have scanned it because that one is 1/2 size :eek:
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

My bad, it's a legit resize. He did buy the original anyway.
  8. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

My copy arrived this morning...wooo hooooo

I has had theis years ago and made the mistake of selling it...that will not happen again

Pity there isnt a G or H version available....

John John
  9. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

john can you explain what the diff is between the 2 hybrids?
  10. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

If you mean the D, G & H is the upgraded versions to todays operational B-52's, THe one in the GPM model kit is the one fromthe Vietnam Era, The G would be the 80's with the beautiful white and green camoflage scheme and the H is the All Gunship Grey version

but all said it still a B-52 in 1:33 scale, Its not a complaint its a wish

John John
  11. JLKasper

JLKasper New Member

B-52D's were manufactured through 1956, G's from '57 to '59, and H's from '60 to 61. The newest B-52 is at least 48 years old. The D's were retired and scrapped in the early '80s, and the G's were a casualty of the end of the Cold War and may still live in mothballs at Davis-Montham. Only H's fly today.

The D had a taller vertical tail, larger wingtanks and lacked the chin camera pods on G's and H's. Each mark had more efficient (and quieter) engines than the previous version. There was talk in the '80s of replacing the eight engines with four of the type that are used on 747's, but the Air force liked the redundancy of the extra engines (even though when an engine blows up, it often takes out its pod-mate).

Another key indicator, aside from color, is the defensive fire control system. The D and G variants had an electro-hydraulic turret with 4 M3 .50 caliber machine guns. The H model had a single M-61 Vulcan 20mm Gatling-style gun, and more sophisticated radars and electric movement system. In the D, the gunner sat in the rear and had a greenhouse canopy, which got really toasty inside while preflighting the fire control system at Dyess AFB in Abilene, Texas in July. The gunner moved up front with the rest of the crew in later models, and the extra space was taken up with upgraded ECM countermeasures. In the early '90s, the fire control system was eliminated altogether and the considerable weight of the Vulcan and the electronics were replaced with sandbag ballast.
  12. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

thanks that was very informative.

any reason why they took the vulcan out.
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

My guess would be that current air to air capabilities would void the usefulness of a rear firing gun.
  14. JLKasper

JLKasper New Member

That, the effectiveness of electronic countermeasures, and B-52s only seem to operate in areas with total air superiority. I don't think they operated in Desert Storm until after the Iraqi AF was neutralized, and of course the Taliban didn't have anything at all to begin with.
  15. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

gosh is it really 2013. forgot i ordered this lol... found it under a bunch of models... guess its time to dust it off and figure out how to build it.