Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Huey, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Huey

Huey Member

Has anybody build the GPM B-52D version? I was looking at the instruction diagrams and I guess for a model with 30+ some pages, 3 pages of diagram is not enough (at least for me). I'd appreciate for some tips, anything to help me build this. :D
  2. tino

tino Member

how go your He 111?
    Do you build it?
    Is it as good as we can see in the pictures from GPM?
    How is the fit?
  3. Huey

Huey Member

Hi Tino,

I have not touched the He-111 yet as the B-52 seems a bit more "easier :shock: to build this time. Besides, after spending countless weeks and almost turning my "hootch" into the Arizona Graveyard of FG B-52, I'd like to make one which I can really be proud to show off. Besides, they guys have been bugging me no end to have it hanged on the ceiling of the mess hall. I'm just doing a smaller version as I just scanned my copy which I tend to build when I finally go home for good.
  4. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Huey...I have been staring at the diagrams on my B-52 for a couple of years now 8v) Everytime I think I have a handle on them and grab the knife and straight edge, I get the shakes and put it all away for a couple of weeks. I was just looking at it again last night (now that the numbness in my right hand is leaving). I do the same thing to the Hobby Model B-1. One of these days I'll try one of them...but for now it will have to wait until I get a bigger place. I barely have room for the wing spans in this small place I currently live in 8v) It's smaller in one direction than my hootch room in Honduras was, but longer in the other direction. Hehehe
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Huey, Ashrunner,

I too have the GPM B-52D and like you I look at every so often and put it away. Only one word describes it, BIG! The aluminum thing has also crept in and the thought of an all aluminum B-52 keeps doing wicked things in my mind....,

Best regards, Gil
  6. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Hobby Model B1

I have both of the models you are considering, and I have built the B-1. After building it, I swore that I would never build another model that big! I got as far as backing up the B-52 frame pieces on heavy card, and then I remembered my oath! Good luck on yours!
  7. Huey

Huey Member

It would seem that nobody wants to build this bird. Well, at 6 feet wing span, maybe I can't blame you guys, but I got it printed on an A4 size so this should come out to less than 4 feet (I think :shock: ). I'm starting to laminate the formers and it will take a long time as I need to finish several boxes of cereals before I finish just doing this. I'd probably be able to finish a box of cereal in a week (it will take me 7 boxes in 7 weeks), so most probably after this project I wouldn't want to see cereal on the table for a long time.
  8. Huey

Huey Member

By the way, beautiful model of the B-1 :D even if we are looking at the bottom :D
  9. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I have had enough of a break from large aircraft that I would consider this model again, but I am holding out for a more modern version of this model. We have the B-52H at my base, and I am hoping that someone will update this kit. I used to display my models at work, and everyone that came through my office always asked "where is the B-52?"
  10. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

You are looking at the bottom because the tail sags so bad, and this is the only view where that is not readily apparent!
  11. Huey

Huey Member

"so where's the B-52?" :D
  12. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

It is in my briefcase with the rest of my unbuilt models, and I think it will stay there for quite some time!
  13. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

That's why I like 1:72...

...but even then a B52/B1/TU95 Bear is still BIG!!!
    Nice work, gents!
  14. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Someone makes a TU-95 Bear? I absolutely love Soviet aircraft and tank models! Another one for my unbuilt model collection! I would love to build one of those with the 58 megaton bomb that was so big half of it hung suspended outside the bomb bay! Who makes the TU-95 kit?
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Guess who's next on ebay...,

16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Huey,

Can we send you our empty cereal boxes? That way it won't take seven weeks to get started.
  17. Huey

Huey Member

thanks bowdenja :D , but we need to recycle too in this camp. I'm still "testing" the water and trying to figure out the instructions, that's just enough time to get me ready for this :D
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

No problem! :D

If you need anything....paper, glue, cardstock..whatever, let me know and I'll get it in the mail.

Be sure and post a pic if you can..... on how the building is progressing. I'd like to try one of those big guys whenever I get this stuff down better. That FG B-36 looks like it has just got to be awhole lot of fun putting together. :!:
  19. Huey

Huey Member

I really appreciate the offer bowdenja :D ! It means a lot, espcially to guys like me "here." This group is really something else, I've gotten a lot of support from members here, whether it would be in a form of paper models, or even a kind email expressing their moral support and it does go a long way in terms of morale. Thats why, this has become my "comfort zone." Thank you guys for all the support! It is very much appreciated. :D
  20. Falcon

Falcon Member

Hi Folk's it seems to be some B-52 talk here. I love the B-series .I just finished FG's B-52 Buff ,the pics are in my album and on my desk is a FG B-24 and a GPM B-25 Mitchell. I love those big birds!

Regards: Max