GPM B-52 build at 1:120 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by airbob, Dec 11, 2006.

1. gcsmith

gcsmith G. Smith

I happened to be reviewing the Posts relative to the B-52 1:120 build and saw a post about servicing the guns on the MD-9 and/or ASG-15.

I worked for AVCO Corporation in Cincinnati, Oh in Final System Test for both the MD-9 and ASG-15 versions of the Fire Control System. (Late 1950's)
    It was Stae of the Art for Analog Computers at the time.

We tested the system by firing the Quad 50's on a 1000 inch firring range.
  2. mikew

mikew Member

1000 inches? Seems a bit close for the radar system- I doubt you'd ever see a bad guy get that close.

3. gcsmith

gcsmith G. Smith

We locked the Radar onto a horn that was putting out a blip and fired the guns to insure that the system didnot lose the target nor the computer react to the vibration and noise.

The horn was offset at an angle so we didn't really shoot at the horn. It worked fine.

4. gcsmith

gcsmith G. Smith

It was really fun when the system started using Gatling Guns!

5. cmdr199212

cmdr199212 Member

that is really good!!
  6. mikew

mikew Member

Ah, so you weren't TARGETING something at that range. Now I understand, thanks. Reminds me of the setup we used at a radar test facility in my first assignment (though our RF horns were about 500 yards downrange, and no guns).

7. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

is this model still available for purchase?
  8. exzealot

exzealot Member

What a nice model! The only time I saw one of these in flight was during a visit to the Air Force Museum in Dayton. A B52 was taking off from WPAFB, and I swear I never saw so much black smoke in my life. But it was an awesome sight. I love this aircraft. The Air Force museum has a B52 that was rebuilt and flown home after being shot up pretty bad in Vietnam. HUGE!!

Nice Job.