GPM B-52 build at 1:120 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by airbob, Dec 11, 2006.

1. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

NICE. Just like vietnam with the missile.
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Buff lookin' buff, congrats man!!!
  3. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Nice, very nice indeed.

Where did you get the SAM-2 (I think that is the right designation)?
  4. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

You Gotta Love It....

Well Done Bob!!

I will be PMing you soon on the SA2 !

5. airbob

airbob Member

The SAM-2 is also done at the (I believe) 1:120 scale and is a redo of a very very old Maty kit....the original I believe was at the 1:33 scale....I really could not find anywhere what the actual scale was...and had to go to different websites to see that it was a SA-2....this missile was created to shoot down the high flying BUFF's...:wink:
  6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Excellent Airbob.

When will it mate up with the KC-135? 8v)
  7. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Very fine job indeed.
  8. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Nice build sir!!!

That SA-2 is always a pain in the a** everytime I play the Wings Over Vietnam Combat Flight Sim...

During Operation Linebacker 1 sorties, everytime I'm in NV, flying at 50+k ft in an F-4E, when those annoying Fan Song radar units paint my plane, they shoot as many as 6 of these troublesome missiles straight to the sky, and into my airplane... and what do you know, they get me everytime (not to mention I'm cruising at Mach 2 with full ABs)... :mad:

So I shifted my flight from very very high to very very low, and finally, those radars can't see me anymore... hahahahaha!!!! :-D

I don't know if I'm right, but once I took those Fan Song radars out, the SA-2s are now just ornaments on the ground, waiting to be blown into pieces... :-D
  9. diamondback

diamondback Member

Hans Christian, you're right. IIRC, SA-2 Guideline's a SARH (Semi-Active Radar Homing) or "beam-rider" design, relies on a separate radar to illuminate the target, then homes on the reflected beam.

BTW, until stage 1 burns out, it's unguided--seems Ivan forgot to place the radio datalink antenna where it wouldn't be blocked by the first stage...

Jim G and I tried to design one of those nasty little beasties for FG a while back, but my AutoCAD skills fizzled out midway through, and I can't do no-CAD design without a major engineering refresher-course.
  10. mikew

mikew Member

The SA-2 is a command guided missile. That is, the ground control station tracks the target and missile, calculates the intercept, and sends steering correction commands to the missile. It does not track the target itself, but only flies the course commanded from the ground. According to Wikipedia, however, the SA-2F model had a home on jam mode, which would be similar to a semi-active tracking system, except that it wouldn't be homing on the radar reflection, but the jamming transmissions.

11. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

So that's why the SA-2 still hits me even if my ECM jammer pods are turned on...

The SA-2 is the main reason I don't want to fly air-to-ground missions in NV, or to fly any sorties near airfields, where they are most concentrated...

It was only later in my Linebacker 1 campaign that I learned that the Fan Songs can't find me if I'm flying at treetop level... and only exposing myself when I'm just about a few nautical miles from my target...
  12. airbob

airbob Member

B-52...I ain't finished with this thread...YET!!!

I still have not completed the B52 to my satisfaction....sooooo I have started building this "beast" again ...this time using a thicker acetate sheet for the cockpit windows on the 1:120 build...The thicker acetate dows not "buckel" like the thin stuff and gives a more real look. I laid the plan sheet under the acetate sheet...cut out each window separatly...allowing just a little more width for "holding " the glue on the inside surface of the cockpit...used ELMERS Craft Bond Metal and plastic cement- (3 fl. oz. tube) that I applied with my gluesqueto to the inside cockpit window frames...this is a real thick almost "GOOP" like glue...that you have to be very careful with to not get it on the exterior surface of the acetate piece...the acetate sheet I used was procured from Office Depot and the actual acetate sheet product cover is seen below the second nose section picture if any of you are interested obtaining this product...maybe I'll finish to my satisfaction before I die!!!

Attached Files:

13. airbob

airbob Member

B-52 interior detail

This is shots of the inteior detail before I slide it into the nose section of the B-52...I did not include this last time...foregot before I glued it into the nose section...this is the tough part to finish on these reduced builds...from her on it is a lot more FUN!!!

Attached Files:

14. Clashster

Clashster Member

Wow, building it again! I get frustrated with my 1/25 or 1/33 scale. I can't imagine the aggrivation I would create if I went mini! Lots of respect for you mini guys, but personally I think there may be something wrong with you guys... :grin: Looking forward to the rebuild!! Thanks for sharing!!

15. smyfe

smyfe Member

Hi Airbob, i have seen less detailed plastic kits that cost a fortune !!!
    Awsome work, keep it up.:)
  16. woppy73

woppy73 New Member

Hy Airbob - i´m quite pleased in seeing that another one on this planet seems to be stubborn enough to get this kit finished. Especially because you too did some refining. :thumb:

Have a look at my build if you want to : its here

Looking forward on your proceeding with the second build,

best regards,
  17. nw-fan

nw-fan New Member

Ashrunner, I watch the C-5's and sometimes C17's doing touch and goes out of Wright Patt nearly every day as I drive home from Dayton Airport on I70. There's no other aircraft that sounds like the C-5.

We live approx 25 miles east of Wright Patt, and they do touch and goes (I think) because they do an enormous circle, and the end of that loop happens to be right up over my house. So almost daily and sometimes at night I hear C-5's banking at about 45 degrees, maybe 700 feet over my house. It is really neat to see. My 2 year old runs to the door or window whenever she hears them, yelling "airpane! airpane!" and pointing up to the sky.
  18. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Anything over 300 dpi is pointless coming from 4 color press standards.
  19. AdamN

AdamN Member

I know this is slightly off topic, but Ashrunner's reminiscing about B-52s and C-5s got me thinking as well. I spent two summers working for a contractor that was extending the runway at Dover AFB. Being an airplane nut, its a wonder I ever got anything done. Watching the C-5A and B take off and land all day was way cool.

We had safety rules about driving on the taxiways behind aircraft that were testing their engines. If the lights on the tail were flashing, we were required to be sure we were no closer than 200 yards behind the aircraft.

I also belonged to a cycling club that once a year got to start a time trial bike race from inside a C-5. We would get ready inside the cargo bay, and on the official's signal, we would ride down the ramp out the front of the C-5 and they would take your picture as you did. It was pretty cool.

Near the end of my first summer we were notified unexpectedly that we needed to be off the base by 1:00pm. We knew there was an air show at the base that weekend because we saw planes flying in all week. (First time I ever saw a B-17 fly too). We didn't know why but we had to be off the base, and any non permanent structure over 72 inches had to be knocked down or laid flat before we left.

The Civil Air Terminal was about 50ft from where we were working, but on the outside of the base fence, so when we left the base we all stopped there to see what was coming in. While we were standing around we could hear a jet getting closer, but we couldn't see it. The plane was too low for us to see until WOW there they were.... The Thunderbirds. All of them, information, right over our heads about 150-100 feet. You could feel the heat from the engines and the noise was unbelievable. Way better than any flyover I've seen since.

Dover AFB was a cool place to work for me.
  20. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

also have this gpm model keep us all updated....i plan on starting it soon.