GPM B-52 build at 1:120 scale

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by airbob, Dec 11, 2006.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

looks great! how many sections did you have to hook together? Looks nice and straight :D
  2. airbob

airbob Member

17 sections to tail...18 If you count the teeny tail buldge!!!:razz:
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Excellent job, I can barely get a small plane together straight.
  4. barry

barry Active Member

I would say you deserve two of those drinks Bob for that fuselage
  5. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Nice job on this. Look's great. Can't wait to see this thing with wings.
  6. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I just checked the opening post again. Is the Original kit this is copied from ACTUALLY 1/33 scale??

That would be a 6 or 7 FOOT long fuselage/Wing Sapn!!!
    I have the "plastic" 1/72 scale Monogram kit of the B-52. And that has a 30+ inch fuselage & 36+ inch Wing span!

1/33 scale would be Double that!!

And you say this build is a LONG fuselage!
  7. Bad_Scorpion

Bad_Scorpion Member

I thought this was going to be a good model when I bought it. Now I'm seeing pics of one. I'm going to have to build it when I get a chance. Nice work! Hopefully I can build mine this nicely too.
  8. airbob

airbob Member

B-52 build continued-fuselage

This the the installed mainwingroot spars....quite a little detail...and would recommend really stout card stock for any of you that will build this at 1:33....yes this was originally 1:33 and is a lot of scanning...plate matching and.color fixing and altering on the plates....the original "shark teeth" needed to be fixed due to incorrect placement...and some of the fuselage sections have poor match lines and had to be redone....Oh well....soldiering on:p

Attached Files:

9. airbob

airbob Member

B-52 build continued-mainwing mating

Here are pictures of the finished process of the mainwing mating-man this has to be a lot like the real thing!:shock: Phew! it's nice to get by this step....this bird ain't perfect...but it has nice lines...I saw a couple of these birds lined up on the runway at Kadena AFB while my Continental 707 refuelled coming home from Vietnam in late fall of 1967....they looked like Vultures with there wings drooping all the way down to the pavement....they must have been about 3/4 miles away....I took a picture which I have stowed away somewhere....a long time ago!!!:roll:

Attached Files:

10. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

:twisted: Sorry to say Bob. Not even close. It would take around 6 people just to get the bolts torque correctly. But it is looking good.
  11. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

My first encounter with a B-52 was while my C-130 I was hitching a ride on from Elmendorf in Anchorage, Alaska to Wright-Pat in Dayton, Ohio stopped for refueling at Kincheloe AFB, in the U.P. of Michigan.

It was near midnight in Michigan and I was standing near the door to base operations. I was looking out towards the well lit parking ramp at the KC-135s and B-52s parked there, thinking, "I would hate to get stationed at this base." That was early August 1971.

In January 1972, I was riding in an Air Force van from the airport in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan to my new permanent assignment...Kincheloe AFB. While there, I learned to love and hate the B-52 at the same time, the H model in particular.

When I saw the B-52 in daylight, my first impression was that of a snake. Our BUFFs didn't have the normal tan and two green SIOP paint scheme. They were painted in three greens and with that long fuselage and elongated nose the H model had, the vision of a snake fit right in. Ever since, I have always referred to the BUFF as "The Snake."

When you finish her, or before, please do a side-on shot for me. 8v)
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Miramar? If that's it, didn't know they had B-52's there, I thought it was just fighter jock central!

13. airbob

airbob Member

B-52 build continued-mainwings finished

This is a picture of the finished mainwings obn the B-52! you can see, even at this small scale 1:120 this beast has a wing span of 18"!!!
    I think I will drink some champaign and watch Dick Clark in his cheelchair!!!:twisted:

Attached Files:

14. JLKasper

JLKasper New Member

I've seen as many live B-52s as I care to in my life. I pulled a hitch in the early '80s, nursing the D's along at Dyess AFB in Abilene, TX (a great place), then transferred to G's at Blytheville AFB, Ark. (a piece of dog poo on the Missouri bootheel). I was a gun plumber on the MD-9 and ASG-15 fire control systems. I can tell you that a summer afternoon preflight in that greenhouse at Abilene was no picnic, but I'd rather take that than a winter night on the flightline at Grand Forks, Minot, or any of those Northern Tier bases. There were precious few hangars for Buffs, and the tails normally stuck out anyway.

Nice job on that turret, by the way!
  15. Grizz

Grizz Member

Hi Airbob,

I'm very interested in how you managed to reduce the plans by so much. Was the model originally on A3 sized paper that had to be scanned or did you start with a computer file?

16. jcangero

jcangero New Member

I was working NORS Control (later called MICAP) at Carswell AFB for the 7th Bomb Wing from 1978 to the end of 1980.....I was on duty the rainy winter night a buff slid off the runway and sunk its gear into the turf. I spent the night scrambling for rain gear for the officers on-scene instead of chasing airplane parts.....
  17. airbob

airbob Member

B-52 reduction method

This was scanned from the GPM original that I purchased 2 years ago or so....this was the large book with 30 pages or so....scanning was very tedious since each page has to be scanned twice to get the full page on a legal size scanner, and then these 2 sections mated together on Photoshop CS....color correction is then done...and any corrections on the original plates....scanning alone took 4-6 hours....after these plates are scanned and corrected to my may be reduced to any this case to 27.5% of the original plate...this is still a big bird even at this small scale!!!
    Hope this discription helps!:wink:
  18. Grizz

Grizz Member

Thankyou Airbob,

the B-52 remains impressive at any scale! The time you have taken is certainly worth it. Thanks for your quick overview of the steps you have taken to reduce scale. The initial work seems a little intimidating but the end result is a file that can be reused and rescaled at any time.

Your prints look nice and sharp. Did you have to worry about the initial scanning resolution too much?

19. tf34mech

tf34mech Member

I worked as an Engine Mech on B-52's in the early ninities at KI Sawyer AFB
    MI and I have always loved them. I did not care much for the snow though.
    Your model is coming along very well, keep up the good work.
  20. airbob

airbob Member

B-52 scanning resolution...

I always scan at 600 dpi resolution and this seems to work well for reducing or working at the original scanned scale....300 dpi is not sharp...and for a short time I tried 1200 dpi but the files are enormous and you don't get that much better detail in the final print....Bob....:)